HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 4:51 PM
BANNED

Thumbs up Miami to withdraw MLS bid; a boost for Vancouver?

Miami's MLS bid is on very shaky ground. Found these articles.

No doubt this will impact the Whitecaps chances.

Portland's funding for upgrading PGE Park to SSS standard goes to Portland City Council on Tuesday for Hearings.

Considering the whole economic situation down there, would'nt be surprised if the money is turned down. Oregon in particular is in bad shape.

Question is where will they move the Beavers to if they expand PGE Park to 25,000?

Are the Beavers A league like the Canadians or AAA like they were?

There's only two spots left for expansion so I hope Whitecaps get in.

Then there's Ottawa with Eugene Melnyk and his plans for a SSS near Scotiabank Center!

And now Montreal / Saputo want to re bid.:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/so...ry/913490.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200.../20/barca.mls/

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...ub/?ref=sports

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 6:22 PM
Site 8 Lives

San Franscisco Kid: Welcome to Skyscraper Page! Interesting post, as the questions relating to Miami's bid have a trickle down process on the whole selection process.

While Vancouver is undoubtedly a front-runner now, who else remains in the running? Ottawa, oddly enough, is still hanging in there. So is Portland. And it looks like St. Louis is still in the running as well.

In theory, the two strongest candidates might be Vancouver and Portland. But, would the MLS want to expand with both cities coming from the "Pacific Northwest" area?

Last edited by Rusty Gull; Feb 21, 2009 at 6:46 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 10:14 PM
loafing in lotusland

Better rivalries. Better travel schedule for Western Teams. I don't see why not.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 10:52 PM
Dérive-r

^Ya, the MLS has said before that they're interested in building regional rivalries, I guess to peak people's interest, boost attendance, create a more energetic atmosphere, etc.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 3:09 AM
Hello World

Good news for the Vancouver Whitecaps then. But ultimately, if our team is awarded the MLS league, wouldn't it feel slightly cheapened as a default winner ? It's like all the competition dropped out and what's left has to win.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post
Good news for the Vancouver Whitecaps then. But ultimately, if our team is awarded the MLS league, wouldn't it feel slightly cheapened as a default winner ? It's like all the competition dropped out and what's left has to win.
If I was in a contest with three other men to see who would get the chance to date Hallie Berry, I don't think I'd feel cheapened if I won because the other three died of heart attacks. I'd feel sympathy for the three victims, but I wound't feel cheapened by my victory. I'd be too busy...ummm...well, you know...

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Who cares? As long as we get a franchise in the end, I'll be happy.

But I don't see it as cheap. I mean, consider that we do have a great, wealthy, and committed franchise owner; we will soon have a modern stadium as the team's home funded by property developments and a committed government......we had the better bid from the beginning.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 3:37 AM
Site 8 Lives

Consider it a battle of attrition... and a survival of the fittest.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 3:40 AM
Hello World

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
Who cares? As long as we get a franchise in the end, I'll be happy.

But I don't see it as cheap. I mean, consider that we do have a great, wealthy, and committed franchise owner; we will soon have a modern stadium as the team's home funded by property developments and a committed government......we had the better bid from the beginning.
I understand. The Vancouver bid was a good and solid bid, but it was never favourable bid, THE bid. Such candidate cities like Montreal, Atlanta that had THE bid all dropped out. Oh well, I'm happy about the ensuring award of the MLS franchise so I'm not complaining.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 3:45 AM

Quote:
I understand. The Vancouver bid was a good and solid bid, but it was never favourable bid, THE bid. Such candidate cities like Montreal, Atlanta that had THE bid all dropped out. Oh well, I'm happy about the ensuring award of the MLS franchise so I'm not complaining.
Some of the other bids were just too good to be true.

Vancouver wins.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation