HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl812 View Post
Riocan has updated the site plan again, and relabeled some of the stores. It now lists "GAP Outlet" and "Bed, Bath and Beyond" (instead of BBB)

Image from the PDF site plan for the Corbett Centre from the Riocan website:

http://www.riocan.com/Content/PDF/sitePlan/271A.pdf
Noticed it as well but as we have seen in the past the plans seem to change constantly, (e.g. what happened to Best Buy and Tim Hortons?) I guess we can only be sure when the stores are built and the store signs go up.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 1:58 AM

I think Best Buy pulled back their expansion plans in general a while back, but apparently they are going ahead with their Moncton store soon so perhaps a Fredericton location will be back on the radar at some point.

IIRC, Tim Horton's might be going to Knowledge Park Drive across from the Grant-Harvey centre.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeple Shanks View Post
Noticed it as well but as we have seen in the past the plans seem to change constantly, (e.g. what happened to Best Buy and Tim Hortons?) I guess we can only be sure when the stores are built and the store signs go up.
I don't think Best Buy or Tim Hortons were listed on the Riocan page, only Trinity. It seems to me that the Riocan page has been more accurate, but not so much for the Trinity site.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
I think Best Buy pulled back their expansion plans in general a while back, but apparently they are going ahead with their Moncton store soon so perhaps a Fredericton location will be back on the radar at some point.

IIRC, Tim Horton's might be going to Knowledge Park Drive across from the Grant-Harvey centre.
Heard that as well.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Heard that as well.
I think Trinity sold it's share of the interest in the centre to RioCan, didn't they?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8deejay View Post
I think Trinity sold it's share of the interest in the centre to RioCan, didn't they?
Yes....Trinity sold their interest in the Corbett Centre to RioCan over a year ago.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 3:51 PM

Quote:
I don't think Best Buy or Tim Hortons were listed on the Riocan page, only Trinity. It seems to me that the Riocan page has been more accurate, but not so much for the Trinity site.
I think RioCan's site is trustworthy but you'd think they'd figure out that the "Future Gas Station" opened on August 17th...

Old Posted Sep 3, 2011, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Heard that as well.
I would like to see a Starbucks go somewhere into the Corbett Centre. Like East Point in SJ a lot of these 'power centres' have stand-alone Starbucks with drive-thru's.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 2:37 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Anybody remember how many units were going in that apartment building by the new Y?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Anybody remember how many units were going in that apartment building by the new Y?
If you mean the building on Victoria Street - 44 units

Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 4:26 PM

I got in touch with BBB through their website and asked them if they plan to open a store in the Fredericton area. They responded that:

"While we are not aware of any immediate plans for any new stores in Fredericton, NB we are constantly looking at new markets for Bed Bath & Beyond Stores. There could very well be a new store opening in the area, but we have yet to be notified of it's opening."

Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 6:07 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
If you mean the building on Victoria Street - 44 units
Thanks. Couldn't remember the name of the street.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeple Shanks View Post
There could very well be a new store opening in the area, but we have yet to be notified of it's opening."
lol, almost sounds like build it, then let us know you built a BBB and are about to open

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 8:59 PM

Downtown Hotel

Has anyone heard any updates on the building of the Hilton Garden next to the Convention Centre? Also, wasn't the original plan suppose to include a pedway between the Crown Plaza and the Convention Centre??

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DV70 View Post
Has anyone heard any updates on the building of the Hilton Garden next to the Convention Centre? Also, wasn't the original plan suppose to include a pedway between the Crown Plaza and the Convention Centre??
Yes...Developers have purchased additional adjacent land and construction to to begin within the next 10 months. Assume that original plan will be revised with the additional land now available for construction. Speculation is that with a larger footprint there will no longer be a need to build as high as orginally planned. If so then expect something more in the 7-8 story range than the original 11. No word on the pedway.

Last edited by Freddypop; Sep 7, 2011 at 12:14 AM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2011, 1:40 PM

Flight to Toronto upgraded
Published Thursday September 8th, 2011
D1
By HEATHER MCLAUGHLIN
mclaughlin.heather@dailygleaner.com

Passengers arriving at Fredericton International Airport on Wednesday were greeted with sugar-coated cookies emblazoned with Air Canada's maple leaf symbol in bright red icing as the Fredericton International Airport Authority celebrated new aircraft on its daily flights to Toronto.

Air Canada Express, formerly Air Canada Jazz, has upgraded its aircraft on the run between the capital city and Ontario with Bombardier-manufactured Q400s instead of the older Bombardier regional jets.

Audrey Hawkins travels regularly from her home in Winnipeg to visit her mother and sister in Fredericton and she enjoyed the new wings.

"It's so much nicer. It's quieter, more roomy and much more comfortable," Hawkins said.

Sonya Hope, another frequent traveller to Toronto, also gave her trip a top score.

"The plane is much nicer. I've taken this flight several times before and you can just tell it's been upgraded. There's a lot more leg room and the seats are a lot more comfortable," Hope said.

Air Canada Express ordered 15 of the turboprops with an option on 15 more for deliveries this spring.

Air Canada spokeswoman Isabelle Arthur said the design of the aircraft has a noise and vibration suppression system.

"Our overall year-over-year winter capacity between Fredericton and Toronto will remain very similar, as we are replacing four 50-seat regional jet flights a day with three daily 74-seat new Bombardier Q400 aircraft," Arthur said.

"Our adjusted schedule to Toronto facilitates convenient connections to the rest of our domestic and international networks.

"It is also the most fuel efficient aircraft in its class, burning less fuel per seat than most regional jets and narrow-bodied aircraft."

Airport authority CEO David Innes was pleased to see the new roomier aircraft land on the Fredericton tarmac, but he is disappointed to hear that Air Canada may cut the four flights per day to three with the new service.

That would represent a net gain of 22 seats per day for the capital city airport.

"It looks like a Dash-8, but it's much more powerful and faster than a Dash-8 ever was," Innes said. "Pound for pound, it delivers a lot of service very economically ... Hopefully the increased economy will be passed onto consumers."

Having connectivity to Toronto is important to the city's business community and the travelling public, Innes said.

The airport is going to continue to pitch its case with the airline industry to increase landings here.

Normal traffic is 500-600 seats per day in and out of Fredericton. Annually, the airport sees 135,000 passengers depart and 135,000 passengers arrive through its gates.

The purchase of the 74-seat turboprops is expected to put Air Canada in competition with Porter Airways at the Toronto end of the routing.

Looking ahead to the winter travel season, Innes said Fredericton will have increased capacity with winter flights to sunny destinations, particularly in Mexico.

"We have quite a bit more capacity this winter than we had last year ... We're getting a longer season this year and significantly more seats than last year," Innes said.

Punta Cana in the Domincan Republic and Varadero, Cuba, will be on the winter travel itineraries out of Fredericton.

http://nbbusinessjournal.canadaeast....rticle/1438262

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 2:16 PM

I noticed this article on the city website about "Car-Free Day". It mentions releasing a 'new transit schedule'. I wonder if that means they will actually upgrade the bus routes or if it's just the yearly waste of money re-printing of the schedules?

http://www.fredericton.ca/en/environ...CarFreeDay.asp

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 4:00 PM
New Brunswick booster!

I would love if they started running buses on sunday! Doubt it though.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 11:12 PM

Hey guys, Ive been reading forever and posted under a different name 3 years ago about the Hotel downtown. I sincerely hope they dont change the design of it too much just because they have more land to build it on. If it is reduced to 6 or 7 stories itll just be another along the same height in the same area and the skyline already looks very bland on the east end.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 11:30 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Welcome to the boards, Justin!
If I remember correctly, the 11 story hotel wouldn't have been allowed to be any taller than the BMO tower on King. Certainly a big building, but it wouldn't stand out tremendously with the Regency right across the street. That said, I got the impression that the ceilings would be fairly compact in the place if they hoped to fit that many floors into the allowed height. If they can get away with a larger footprint, even if it means the floor count is lower, we might still end up with quite a tall building on the lot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces