HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Cathedral Hill in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
A simpler interim solution would be for the NCC to stop locking up the stairs and ramp in the Garden of the Provinces and Territories from December to April, as these are currently the most direct and pleasant connections between Fleet And Sparks St
I agree 100%. In the meantime, I still cross the barrier and cut through there anyway,

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 9:19 PM

After picking up my wife at work yesterday, I drove back across the portage bridge, and looked at the location where these are proposed, and imagined their impact on the skyline...I honestly think that them being right near the crest of that little peninsula/hill there, will make them look really tall when viewed from Portage or the War Museum. They will also bridge the gap down to the Lebreton Flats buildings from the downtown area.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
After picking up my wife at work yesterday, I drove back across the portage bridge, and looked at the location where these are proposed, and imagined their impact on the skyline...I honestly think that them being right near the crest of that little peninsula/hill there, will make them look really tall when viewed from Portage or the War Museum. They will also bridge the gap down to the Lebreton Flats buildings from the downtown area.
Furthermore, as a result the new Lebreton Claridge buildings will look even smaller and more shameful. The top of the tallest Claridge building won't even be near the midpoint of this new tower.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 9:42 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radster View Post
Furthermore, as a result the new Lebreton Claridge buildings will look even smaller and more shameful. The top of the tallest Claridge building won't even be near the midpoint of this new tower.
I think the intent of the LeBreton plan is not to overwhelm the escarpment, and still make the natural topography obvious. The NCC views the escarpment as a extension of the Parliament Hill and Supreme Court promontories when viewed from the western parkway. In the same way, Quebec City won't allow imposing hi-rises in its lowertown or along the waterfront

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 1:39 PM

Does anyone know do they plan on building the condo and office buildings at the same time?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 1:14 AM

Church and developer collaborate to bring housing to Sparks Street

Quote:
Church and developer collaborate to bring housing to Sparks Street

By Anita Murray, The Ottawa Citizen February 17, 2012 7:34 PM

OTTAWA — Buyers will soon be calling Sparks Street home with the release of the first street-level townhouses.

Part of a development called Cathedral Hill, the eight townhomes will be integrated into a 21-storey curved condo tower located behind them on an escarpment overlooking the Garden of the Provinces at the corner of Sparks Street and Bronson Avenue.

The project is being built on Anglican Church land that is the home to Christ Church Cathedral. Although there was some opposition, developer Windmill Developments worked with the church and the city to make sure the project, which also includes an office tower, defers to the cathedral.

Cathedral Hill launched last fall with brisk sales of the condo units. The final releases, which includes 10 townhomes (there are two others that incorporate the façades of two semi-detached homes facing Queen Street), came last weekend.

The townhomes range from 1,389 square feet for a Queen Street unit to 2,223 square feet with a 600-square-foot rooftop terrace and elevator for one of the Sparks Street homes. Prices range from $675,000 to $1.5 million.

Units range from two bedrooms to three bedrooms plus den and some plans allow for the ground floor to be easily used as a business space. The townhouses will also have access to the amenities available in the condo tower, which include rooftop garden plots, a fitness centre, a movie theatre, wine storage, a dog washing room, an electric car charging station and a concierge.

Also released last weekend were eight penthouses, six terraces and the last of the 139 condo units.

Development of the site has aimed to transform a patchwork of parking lots and historic structures into a coherent urban block that integrates contemporary buildings with the cathedral.

Roper House, which serves as the bishop’s office and sales centre for the project, is preserved, along with Lauder Hall, a century-old building housing church offices and choir space. What makes the project work is the demolition of Cathedral Hall, a 1950s building on Sparks Street that will be replaced by the townhomes.

Demolition could start as early as next week and a new parish hall is being built by Windmill in the centre of the site.

Cathedral Hill is the seventh multi-residential project for Windmill Developments, an Ottawa-based, ecologically minded company founded in 2003. An industry leader in green building, all of Windmill’s residential projects, most of which are in Western Canada, have been built to at least LEED platinum standards, the highest level for green building under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design program.

Windmill is aiming for a LEED platinum designation with Cathedral Hill as well.

The company is aiming for a February 2014 occupancy.

For more information on Cathedral Hill, visit the sales centre at Roper House (entrance off Queen, near Bronson). Hours are Monday to Thursday, noon to 6 p.m.; weekends noon to 5 p.m.; otherwise by appointment. You can also call 613-566-7010 or visit http://www.cathedralhill.ca.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen
http://www.househunting.ca/ottawa/Ch...226/story.html

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 3:26 AM
R2-D2's army of death

If this goes ahead along with "re" hotel and condos, there will be a nice infusion of residency to Sparks St. All that needs to happen after that for Sparks St. to get some life in it again is for some high-end retailers to set up shop on the street, and for the street to get some heat lamps for winter a la Bryant Park in New York, and we might very well have a nice, trendy, and high-end shopping area that directs people to shopping at the Rideau Centre and Byward Market.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
If this goes ahead along with "re" hotel and condos, there will be a nice infusion of residency to Sparks St. All that needs to happen after that for Sparks St. to get some life in it again is for some high-end retailers to set up shop on the street, and for the street to get some heat lamps for winter a la Bryant Park in New York, and we might very well have a nice, trendy, and high-end shopping area that directs people to shopping at the Rideau Centre and Byward Market.
What's going on with the re anyway? I wonder when it'll start?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 4:43 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
What's going on with the re anyway? I wonder when it'll start?
I have no idea what's going on with that project.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 8:47 AM

Months age, when ads were running, it was saying 50%sold - but that's the residential component. No activity on site.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
One side reminds me of a spaceship; the other, something SOHO or Claridge would build. It's something different and for that reason, I like it!
I like it too. It looks different, and doesn't look cheap. In Ottawa that counts as progress.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post
I like it too. It looks different, and doesn't look cheap. In Ottawa that counts as progress.
But if it's different IT MIGHT KILL SOME CHILDREN!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 8:18 AM

Keep in mind, in Ottawa smoking in an empty park will kill kids, as will having unmonitored Internet access. That, plus shadows, traffic and wind tunnels from concrete sky phalluses, means you should probably just never let your kids leave the house.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 6:03 PM

Word is that ground breaking will be in the August time frame.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 1:10 PM

From their twitter:

Quote:
Cathedral Hill ‏@CathedralHill

We are pleased to announce the official countdown has begun...only 44 days until Construction starts!!
http://twitter.com/#!/CathedralHill

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 11:48 PM

Great to hear, and looking forward to this project going up in the coming year. This is the kind of property development that Lebreton should have been...

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 10:29 PM

People living in Lebreton will look up from their 1970s schoolhouse - I mean, 'Claridge condo' - and be pissed off.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 11:01 PM

Glad to see Windmill doing more work in Ottawa. Might shame some of the other developers into doing quality work.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 5:39 PM

Demolition is well under way. The old church hall is gone now. Official ground breaking August14th.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-133 View Post
Demolition is well under way. The old church hall is gone now. Official ground breaking August14th.
Here's a pic from the Cathedral Hill twitter account.

http://twitter.com/CathedralHill/sta...782785/photo/1

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa