HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
While the original ARP was nice, it is not realistic to assume the Walmart is going somewhere anytime soon, so the plan needs to be adjusted to take this into account.
It would be awesome if the owners of the site could make a deal with Walmart to build an urban format space for them. Something like this.

Flicker.com

Walmart would likely happily trade up to a nicer urban format store built to suit them. When the thing is complete Walmart moves over to their new location and then the old Walmart can be demolished along with the rest of Westbrook Mall to make way for future development. They would not even need to have any downtime if they do it that way. They can close the old store and open the new store the very next day.

Walmart wants a store in Westbrook. I don't think they would be adverse to having a nicer more urban format store in Westbrook.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 4:07 PM

I went to the open house last night. I am not sure if the changes are due to a request from a developer but there was a mention of a grocery store at 35th St and 17th Ave. The main points were a couple changes to the park space, road structure and height on 33rd St (up to 38m). I overheard a lot of people talk about parking issues and parkade so I started to talk with one of the hosts. She mentioned that they are looking at a different structure for underground parking that would allow for a timesharing (for lack of a better term, at least in my vocabulary) system, to let owners of stalls rent out their stalls when they are not in use. She didn't seem to be too confident on what she was telling me but it is an interesting idea. One old guy said they should put in a Park&Ride there. I told him I thought it was a dumb idea and he walked away.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster3 View Post
I went to the open house last night. I am not sure if the changes are due to a request from a developer but there was a mention of a grocery store at 35th St and 17th Ave. The main points were a couple changes to the park space, road structure and height on 33rd St (up to 38m). I overheard a lot of people talk about parking issues and parkade so I started to talk with one of the hosts. She mentioned that they are looking at a different structure for underground parking that would allow for a timesharing (for lack of a better term, at least in my vocabulary) system, to let owners of stalls rent out their stalls when they are not in use. She didn't seem to be too confident on what she was telling me but it is an interesting idea. One old guy said they should put in a Park&Ride there. I told him I thought it was a dumb idea and he walked away.
It seems a given that any time anyone talks about a new mixed use development they'll say a grocery store is going in. I'm still feeling burned by the Shopper's at 20th and 33rd in Marda Loop that was "supposed" to be an urban format Sobey's.

With Walmart and Safeway already in the mall I'm pretty sure there won't be a new grocery at Westbrook. And while I don't know the details, I don't think the mall owners are in anyway involved in the new TOD development sites. I think the mall and Walmart are, unfortunately, going to be around for a long time while better buildings go up all around.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 5:05 PM

Yeah I am worried about that too.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 5:11 PM

Just take the long view. Things don't have to be perfect even in 10 years. Much rather keep the mall than have empty lots like Heritage in Edmonton.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 5:35 PM

Quote:
One old guy said they should put in a Park&Ride there. I told him I thought it was a dumb idea and he walked away.
I would use the park & ride if it was there. Find myself chancing the Wal-Mart lot all too often. It is just too long for myself to take the bus to that station.
But I can see the opposition, would definitely increase vehicular traffic in an already busy area.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 6:16 PM

I don't doubt it would get a lot of use but it goes against the spirit of the TOD.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 6:18 PM

I also didn't directly say it was dumb, I told him the current restrictions have park and rides no closer than 8km from downtown for new lots, and that is why Sirrocco has it and not Westbrook.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 6:30 PM

Quote:
I don't doubt it would get a lot of use but it goes against the spirit of the TOD.
Quote:
I also didn't directly say it was dumb, I told him the current restrictions have park and rides no closer than 8km from downtown for new lots, and that is why Sirrocco has it and not Westbrook.
That makes sense. I am certainly not complaining about there not being one, or never being one there. All I ever go there for is to hop on the train, and as Westbrook is right now, it is merely just a station and a crappy mall. I can definitely see how putting a P&R would ultimately keep it that way. No one sees a reason to transit and stay there right now, but as the TOD builds out (&up) that will hopefully change.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 5:05 PM

Not sure if this was mentioned or not...but word is out that Matco Developments (M2i) is the purchaser of this opportunity.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altec View Post
Not sure if this was mentioned or not...but word is out that Matco Developments (M2i) is the purchaser of this opportunity.
Wonderful. Does that mean this thing is going to take off soon?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 7:23 PM
BANNED

Up for review by city council today:

Quote:
Westbrook swap
While C-Train riders have been using the Westbrook Station for almost two years now, the area around the underground station sits awaiting redevelopment. Council will discuss swapping some future road space in the area for another piece of City land. This will give the developer, Matco Investments, the ability to create the large-scale transit-oriented development that it envisions will rise around Westbrook Station. Drawings of the future development make the Westbrook area look extremely different than today.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...nday-1.2821291

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 2:54 AM
BANNED

Matco owns 11 acres adjacent to the station with intent on building a large, mixed-use development. Sounds promising

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Documen...14-0059-op.pdf

Quote:
APPENDIX III APPLICANT’S SUBMISSION
The Westbrook Station Transit Oriented Development (TOD) site offers a unique opportunity in Calgary to create a vibrant, walkable, mixed use development which will be a benefit to both future and existing residents of the area and the city as a whole. In 2011 The City of Calgary issued a Request for Proposal (RFP) for the Acquisition and Development of Property at Westbrook Station in order to facilitate the development of these lands and achieve the vision for the property.
Through this publically tendered process, the Westbrook Station site has been acquired by Matco Investments Ltd. (Matco)/EMWS Holdings Ltd. (EMWS), as the Owner of the Westbrook Station lands, is an entity of Matco’s created specifically to administer the project and oversee its development. It is the intention of Matco/EMWS to build an outstanding example of a mixed use, transit oriented development on the Westbrook Station lands.
To ensure the success of the Westbrook Station development and achieve the broader vision and goals for these lands, a detailed evaluation of the existing Direct Control designations, Outline Plan and companion subdivision have been performed by Matco and their team of consultants. The findings from this investigation is that a set of minor changes to the existing land use and outline plan are necessary to both realize the vision of the Westbrook Village Area Redevelopment Plan and deliver a high quality pedestrian oriented development that can proceed and prosper independent of the redevelopment timing of the surrounding adjacent lands.
The intent for the Westbrook Station lands is to develop a comprehensively designed, phased TOD that will be realized over time. The proposed alterations to the site layout and land use districts are intended to enable the realization of the density anticipated for a successful mixed use development at this site and provide for the following:
• •

A more flexible land use is proposed to enable stand-alone development of the site that
takes into consideration future development of the surrounding lands;
A more extensive and coordinated public/private pedestrian realm throughout the development including relocation of the Municipal Reserve parcel to better address the Westbrook LRT Station the closure of a portion of 35 Street, a portion of Westbrook Plaza, Westbrook Lane and Westbrook Green SW; and
The improved alignment of Westbrook Avenue.
In order to achieve the intended development an application to amend the Westbrook Village Area Redevelopment Plan (ARP), Land Use, and Outline Plan is necessary. We look forward to Calgary Planning Commission’s & Council’s support of this application.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 5:48 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Any idea what the current digging on the Westbrook site is? Looks like there is some excavation taking place just east of the entrance portal.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 6:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Any idea what the current digging on the Westbrook site is? Looks like there is some excavation taking place just east of the entrance portal.
I think somebody mentioned this is station related work. Eager to see some renders of this new proposal though.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 6:56 PM
ARTchitecture

Really eager! What an exciting prospect. That area could end up being a fully fledged high-density node outside of downtown. There are already bars, pubs, and a fair amount of street front retail in the vicinity, so adding a full block of towers and two street-front blocks of retail will really spice things up!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 7:00 PM
Editor

There was some rumor of a 30 something storey tower proposal for Westbrooke, but I haven't heard anything on it.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 10:21 PM
ARTchitecture

That would be wicked. The area already has the tallest building in the city outside the downtown at 98 meters, so it would be cool to up that a bit. Wish it was 35 floors to make it a good 110 meters.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
There was some rumor of a 30 something storey tower proposal for Westbrooke, but I haven't heard anything on it.
They should really add the "e" to Westbrooke, it just wouldn't be Calgary without it.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 7:23 AM

There's already a 25 and 30+ story residential buildings out there! I could see a couple 40+ story residential buildings there eventually!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates