HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

The Spire Block B in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Dallas Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 5:23 AM

Arrow DALLAS | The Spire | 1.7 million sq ft | 11 acres

The Spire

The Spire is an 11.3 acre Downtown Dallas master planned development with 128,000 SF of retail, 1,664,700 SF of office and 337 residential units.

The project is immediately south of the burgeoning Dallas Arts District complex and on the eastern edge of Downtown Dallas' core Central Business District.

The rendering image shows the dense multi-building complex as it will occupy key blocks in the Downtown Dallas CBD landscape. The site plan provides a more detailed view of the layout of the specific buildings.

The completed One Arts Plaza 24 story highrise structure is seen in the lower right hand side of the rendering image. The Winspear Opera House, with its distinctive red oval top, is immediately to the northwest of One Arts Plaza and the new signature skyscraper, Museum Tower at 560 feet tall and 42 stories (not represented in the rendering), is under construction just to the upper left of the Winspear.

The new Dallas "Central Park", known as the Woodall Rogers Urban Park, is shown in the rendering with the highrises of Downtown's Uptown immediately north of it.

The area surrounding the Dallas Arts District is among the hottest new development areas of any downtown in America.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Urbannizer; Sep 4, 2015 at 5:33 PM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 5:27 AM
Ex Houstonian

So, does this belong in the construction thread or proposed thread?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 11:15 AM

^^ As far as I know, this project is still only a proposal.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 6:13 PM

And a proposal it should remain.

They should duct-tape its blueprints to the backs of every single member of the Dallas City Council/City Planning Board/Whomever It May Concern as if to represent a "kick me" sign.
Ye gods....why has this so-called "Metroplex" taken the cake since the late-1980's for pitching major league hissy-fits in response to bold ventures above street level? A valiant try notwithstanding, 560' for their latest real skyscraper falls short IMO of the strident swankiness that this community seems all too eager to convey...at least to a NYC suburbanite like me.

Oh BTW, lest I almost forget...
I really shouldn't want this to get around or anything; but the project's *name* doesn't seem to accurately reflect what the designers would have us *see*. Do any of you *see* a spire? *Anywhere*?

Fail for a city of it's size...*especially* in such proximity to the main hi-rise cluster. Not bad at all, tho, for a slue/slew--both are correct--of mid-size Lone Star cities: Corpus Christi, Port Arthur, Midland, Odessa, Wichita Falls, Amarillo, El Paso...plus others I can't think of because gratuitous name-dropping can annoy a lotta folks here.

--------------------------------

Edit: I will be glad to retract my ignorance about DFW if someone from this area can enlighten me as to why 750'+ skyscrapers and Texas' 4 largest metros have played hard-to-get with each other. I've read about Houston and the oil industry issues in the '80's...did DFW, Austin and S.A. get victimized by this as well?
Perhaps Austin's boom *in spite of this economy* is an indicator that things are on the upswing...which--apropos of this thread--is why I find this proposal in a TX city almost twice as populous so disappointing.

Last edited by JayPro; Sep 17, 2010 at 6:52 PM. Reason: reduction of critical tone & data gathering

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 6:15 PM
Website Manager

Hey, at least it won't block view of Chase and TrammelCrow from afar!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
And a proposal it should remain.

They should duct-tape its blueprints to the backs of every single member of the Dallas City Council/City Planning Board/Whomever It May Concern as if to represent a "kick me" sign.
Ye gods....why has this so-called "Metroplex" taken the cake since the late-1980's for pitching major league hissy-fits in response to bold ventures above street level? A valiant try notwithstanding, 560' for their latest real skyscraper falls short IMO of the strident swankiness that this community seems all too eager to convey...at least to a NYC suburbanite like me.

Oh BTW, lest I almost forget...
I really shouldn't want this to get around or anything; but the project's *name* doesn't seem to accurately reflect what the designers would have us *see*. Do any of you *see* a spire? *Anywhere*?

Fail for a city of it's size...*especially* in such proximity to the main hi-rise cluster. Not bad at all, tho, for a slue/slew--both are correct--of mid-size Lone Star cities: Corpus Christi, Port Arthur, Midland, Odessa, Wichita Falls, Amarillo, El Paso...plus others I can't think of because gratuitous name-dropping can annoy a lotta folks here.

--------------------------------

Edit: I will be glad to retract my ignorance about DFW if someone from this area can enlighten me as to why 750'+ skyscrapers and Texas' 4 largest metros have played hard-to-get with each other. I've read about Houston and the oil industry issues in the '80's...did DFW, Austin and S.A. get victimized by this as well?
Perhaps Austin's boom *in spite of this economy* is an indicator that things are on the upswing...which--apropos of this thread--is why I find this proposal in a TX city almost twice as populous so disappointing.
So I take it you don't work for the Dallas Chamber of Commerce ?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 12:21 AM

Here are some more renderings from http://www.wdgdallas.com/

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 12:45 AM

Yes DFW was hit as hard as Houston in the 1980s, especially when it comes to skyscrapers that were not built. But as a Dallas native I do agree that this project is a bit lame for the forth largest metro in the country. I would like to see at least one built at a descent height. As for the "so called" metroplex comment, after spending all week showing international delegations around DFW I can say that our "Metroplex" is doing just fine

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
So I take it you don't work for the Dallas Chamber of Commerce ?
Afraid not. I did go a bit overboard with that criticism....but its just that a city like Dallas should have been doing much better proposal wise for some time now. I understand that there were maybe two 70+ possibilities; but nothing seems to have come of them.

I assume by your rhetorical question that the Dallas CoC has the biggest say as to what gets built...?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywallsareboring View Post
Yes DFW was hit as hard as Houston in the 1980s, especially when it comes to skyscrapers that were not built. But as a Dallas native I do agree that this project is a bit lame for the forth largest metro in the country. I would like to see at least one built at a descent height. As for the "so called" metroplex comment, after spending all week showing international delegations around DFW I can say that our "Metroplex" is doing just fine
I apologize for my quotes around the metroplex in my post. In retrospect it was quite judgmental from the eyes of a suburban New Yorker whose metro area covers small parts of three states.
I cop to ignorance of your community's overall dynamics. As I said before, maybe Austin's boom in spite of the present economy will translate to a higher outlook in other Texas metros in 2011 and beyond.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
Afraid not. I did go a bit overboard with that criticism....but its just that a city like Dallas should have been doing much better proposal wise for some time now. I understand that there were maybe two 70+ possibilities; but nothing seems to have come of them.

I assume by your rhetorical question that the Dallas CoC has the biggest say as to what gets built...?
Not at all. You just didn't seem like the quintessential booster.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 5:14 AM
JoeCooper

Great modern addition to Dallas!!! It will add excellent density and bulk to the skyline. With this, the new Omni Hotel, and the Museum Tower, Dallas has a lot to look forward to in the meantime!!!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 6:45 AM
robert die katze

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelpr View Post
Here are some more renderings from http://www.wdgdallas.com/

Nice. I like the top rendering a lot.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 6:56 PM

This looks great. Can't believe some people don't like it, I would love for something like this to knock out a few parking lots in downtown Houston.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 8:09 PM

This looks really nice!!!!!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfastx View Post
This looks great. Can't believe some people don't like it, I would love for something like this to knock out a few parking lots in downtown Houston.
You are entirely correct about the enormous positives of this planned development. The Spire Dallas is going to take up block after block after block of surface parking lots, one story non-descript structures, or just plain empty land.

That particular area today that The Spire will be built on is really basically an eyesore because of what is there right now, so to remove the eyesores and replace them with attractive dense multi-building structures surrounded by acres of beautiful parkland, what is there not to like????

Yes, the 1.7 million square feet of office space contained in The Spire development could be equivalent to a supertall of 1,000 feet and 75+ stories, but that type of development would take up a much smaller amount of land and leave most of the undesirable surface parking lots still there.

With The Spire development, Dallas receives several beautiful and contemporary highrises (they look to be 25 to 35 stories tall) along with acres of landscaped parks to fill in a gap that currently exists between the Dallas core CBD and the One Arts highrise on the east side of the Arts District.

With The Spire, coupled with the 42 story 560 foot tall Museum Tower currently under construction, the Arts District will take on a very significant urban look and feel. And the street life generated by The Spire will be significant.

There are other prime development blocks remaining in the immediate or nearby area upon which signature skyscraper projects can still be built that will take the look and feel up several more notches when they are constructed. For example, the planned 1900 Pacific Avenue project at 700 feet tall and 57 stories and the planned Hall Arts District Towers which are twin 50 story skyscrapers.

In fact, the Hall Arts District Tower block immediately across from the Meyerson Symphony Center could be a prime development block for a supertall since it already has a significant underground parking garage built and functioning on it. Otherwise the original plans for the Hall development block call for twin 50 story skyscrapers to be built in two phases on top of the existing underground garage.

All in all, covering 11.3 acres The Spire is just what the doctor ordered for that particular part of Downtown Dallas.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 3:57 AM

What's the likelihood that this proposal will get built ?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 4:29 AM

Quote:
The proposal is a current proposal. The Arts District area has spawned billions in development over the last five years, especially when including the explosive growth of highrises in the Uptown District just immediately north of the Woodall Rogers Freeway.

With the Woodall Rogers Urban Park now under construction, and the construction of the 42 story Museum Tower, the link between the core CBD and Uptown will be seamless. The Arts District is now almost fully built out with its many arts venues, with the Dallas Performance Hall under construction as the last major arts facility development that will complete the Arts District.

All of these are adding further synergy to the development surrounding the Arts District, which includes The Spire project.

Here is a link to the architectural firm's website showing the current proposals for The Spire project:

http://www.wdgdallas.com/

I also do have a recent news update indicating that the development group for The Spire has purchased more land for their Downtown Dallas development plans. I'll post that tomorrow as I do not have that link with me at the moment. I don't think the development group would be spending more money purchasing more land now if they weren't committed to their plans.

I think given the ultra-hot Dallas Arts District area that it is planned for that at the moment the project looks real and viable.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 4:30 AM

Quote:
That's what I want to know? It seems there's too much going on in DT/Uptown/Victory Park area for this to have a shot of happening for a bit.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 4:32 AM

I for one would love to see the CBD steal Uptown's thunder a bit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive