HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 7:11 AM

Downtown Los Angeles (Ongoing)

I've decided to make my own thread of development & progress-themed images.

I will do my best to post Downtown Los Angeles updates at least once a week (even if its just a few shots).

If you'd like to keep up on Flickr you can follow me HERE.
For more serious images you can follow my Facebook HERE.

--------------------------------------------------

Here are the latest photos from the past 7 days. Most of these developments I've been shooting for several years, so to see things like the Onni site before groundbreaking or the Hall Of Justice before it was cleaned, you need only scroll back through my Flickr feed.

If you have any specific requests, just ask and I'll do my best to cover it.

Federal Courthouse 6 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Cliftons by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Cliftons 2 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Arcade Building needs to work on a lot more than just new tenants.
Arcade Building by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Arcade (Pantages) Theatre by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Roxie Theatre by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Downtown Skyline by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

State Building Foundation 3 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

LAPD Building by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Historic Core by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Arts District : Little Tokyo by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Hall of Justice by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Garage materials vs real deal.
Hall of Justice 3 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Hall of Justice 5 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Hall of Justice 8 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Ava Little Tokyo 8 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Ava Little Tokyo 14 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

8th & Hope 7 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

8th & Hope by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

8th & Hope 2 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

You'll notice the white dome on Trinity Auditorium has been repainted. Their rooftop is pretty much done (just like their interior).
9th & Grand - Trinity Auditorium by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

8th & Hope 3 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

I much prefer the black frame look (as opposed to Onnis white)
8th & Hope 5 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

8th & Hope 6 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

9th & Hope new tower by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

9th & Hope new tower 2 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

9th & Olive Onni Tower 1 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

9th & Olive Onni Tower 3 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

9th & Olive Onni Tower 4 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

9th & Olive Onni Tower 8 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

9th & Olive Onni Tower 9 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

9th & Olive Onni Tower 10 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

There has been a huge spike in tagging & vandalism. (And even bigger spike in homelessness, though lets all just keep ignoring that). Commercial Exchange is the latest victim.
Commercial Exchange by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Desmonds by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Desmonds 3 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

No work on this property which once was supposed to become a boutique hotel. I believe the Luma/Evo HOA shot that down.
EVO by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Freshly restored Globe marquee looking nice.
Globe Theatre Marquee by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Grand all the way to Broad by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Needlemans Singer Building (construction still halted) by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Finally, some retail space in South Park!!
New retail space at 11th & Hope garage by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Wait a minute...... (7+ years vacant, and theres a lot more within just a couple blocks like it)
Vacant Retail LUMA 11th:Hope by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

3+ years vacant.
Vacant Retail Packard Lofts Oly:Hope by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Couldn't get a look down into the hole, but they're pretty deep.
Olympic & Grand 7 story by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Olympic & Grand 7 story 3 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Olympic & Hill 2 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

I wonder whats happening on the roof of the building to the left? It should just be torn down honestly.
Olympic & Hill by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Olympic & Olive 7 Story by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Olympic & Olive 7 Story(s) by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Surface lots from 9th to 7th 2 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

The Briks replacing Il Mare by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

The Vail by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Ground floor is looking so much better than it did 1 year ago.
Trinity Auditorium 2 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Trinity Auditorium by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Last edited by ConstructDTLA; Jul 1, 2014 at 6:54 AM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 7:16 AM

Fantastic shots. Looking forward for more.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
Fantastic shots. Looking forward for more.
Thanks man.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 4:57 PM

Ive lived at my apartment for 4 years now and ive watched them work on the Trinity for the entire 4 year span. Its really baffling. Some weeks they go hard (with a 3 man crew) then there is no visible work for weeks. Chetrit is one weird development company.

Good job with the pics, looking forward to more

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Ive lived at my apartment for 4 years now and ive watched them work on the Trinity for the entire 4 year span. Its really baffling. Some weeks they go hard (with a 3 man crew) then there is no visible work for weeks. Chetrit is one weird development company.

Good job with the pics, looking forward to more
Thank you, and I agree Chetrit is such an odd company. Both Trinity & Clark are pretty much complete, yet it could be years (or it could be weeks) before they both open.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 5:14 PM
urbanphile

Great photos! DTLA is looking good. I like a lot of the rehabs too. Now they need to improve the pedestrian experience; every street is like a 100 feet wide with nearly no on street parking and sidewalks seem to average 6 feet wide. Time to put those roads on a diet now that people are moving downtown and neighborhoods are forming.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLA View Post
Great photos! DTLA is looking good. I like a lot of the rehabs too. Now they need to improve the pedestrian experience; every street is like a 100 feet wide with nearly no on street parking and sidewalks seem to average 6 feet wide. Time to put those roads on a diet now that people are moving downtown and neighborhoods are forming.
I agree. Spring Street needs extended sidewalks the most - but Huizar and the BBB crew are extended them on Broadway (which will backfire when the furniture comes out in August because the new surge of homeless on Broadway).

They also recently put street parking along 7th and reduced the amount of traffic lanes + added bike lanes.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 8:24 PM

Very nice. There is so much going on in DTLA I can't keep up. Nice idea. Love it.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 12:01 AM

Wow, so impressed by the amount of construction and burgeoning activity. Hopefully we'll see more and more quality-of-life style amenities as time goes by (grocery stores, pharmacies, etc.). Condos are great, but to keep people downtown all residents should be able to take care of all their needs w/in walking distance. I know my hometown of SD still struggles with that -- to my knowledge there's only one grocery store (Ralph's) downtown.

The only thing that bugs me with not only DTLA but so many American cities is the scale of many of the downtown blocks. I don't like how many buildings and even the new apartment complexes are taking over entire blocks. It's a little bit harsh of an aesthetic, wish they could add in more alleyways or divide them up more.

I.E.:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3840/...e98d95a7_c.jpg

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Wow, so impressed by the amount of construction and burgeoning activity. Hopefully we'll see more and more quality-of-life style amenities as time goes by (grocery stores, pharmacies, etc.). Condos are great, but to keep people downtown all residents should be able to take care of all their needs w/in walking distance. I know my hometown of SD still struggles with that -- to my knowledge there's only one grocery store (Ralph's) downtown.

The only thing that bugs me with not only DTLA but so many American cities is the scale of many of the downtown blocks. I don't like how many buildings and even the new apartment complexes are taking over entire blocks. It's a little bit harsh of an aesthetic, wish they could add in more alleyways or divide them up more.

I.E.:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3840/...e98d95a7_c.jpg
San Diego has had two full-service grocery stores downtown for more than five years (Ralph's and Albertson's). It also has more than 30,000 residents living downtown. It's a very livable downtown with many services.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 5:41 AM
Red October standing by

nice tour

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 5:57 AM
Babylon falling

Great pics, and yes the roads in DTLA are quite wide.

Destroy Create where have you been: Ralph's, Albertson's, now a JIMBO's at Horton Plaza which is basically like a Whole foods (Opened 9 months ago).

Plus the North Gate Mercado right next to Coronado Bridge is virtually downtown. And Little Italy is getting a small upscale Hanson's market any day now.

Back to LA: When is the Whole Foods opening? One has to be impressed with the was SoCal's two downtowns are coming along LA and SD make a very good combo when and hopefully Long Beach gets some nice projects going soon.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
Great pics, and yes the roads in DTLA are quite wide.

Destroy Create where have you been: Ralph's, Albertson's, now a JIMBO's at Horton Plaza which is basically like a Whole foods (Opened 9 months ago).

Plus the North Gate Mercado right next to Coronado Bridge is virtually downtown. And Little Italy is getting a small upscale Hanson's market any day now.

Back to LA: When is the Whole Foods opening? One has to be impressed with the was SoCal's two downtowns are coming along LA and SD make a very good combo when and hopefully Long Beach gets some nice projects going soon.

Thanks!

We should probably try and keep this thread as much about DTLA (and not DTSD) as possible.

Whole Foods should open late next summer (2015). Rumor is Trader Joes will open around the same time, just 1 block away.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 6:46 AM

Some fun comparisons to my older images:

Hall Of Justice February 2013 VS April 2013 VS June 2014

20130205-IMG_9122 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

20130405-IMG_0120 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Hall Of Justice from above by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

8th & Grand (Whole Foods + Apartments) Site January 2013 VS June 2014

20130129-IMG_8823 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

8th &amp; Grand by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

8th & Hope Apartments right when the fencing went up October 2012 VS June 2014. This thing feels like it went up at a quicker pace than anything else.

8th &amp; Hope - iHope by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

8th &amp; Hope 4 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

South Park Marriott February 2013 VS June 2014

Courtyard Marriot Construction by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Courtyard Marriots bright LED screen by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 7:09 AM

I'm glad you have your own thread!. I love your Downtown updates, whether it's through photos or just observations. It also sucks to hear about the increasing vandalism going on around Downtown. Last I've seen was from Mojeda's update about the Rialto marquee getting attacked.

About the rumored Trader Joe's, I believe it's going to be in The Bloc. If I could ask, has there been any major changes of Macy's Plaza?

Also, what's up with the MyFig project? Has it not started yet?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbeen View Post
I'm glad you have your own thread!. I love your Downtown updates, whether it's through photos or just observations. It also sucks to hear about the increasing vandalism going on around Downtown. Last I've seen was from Mojeda's update about the Rialto marquee getting attacked.

About the rumored Trader Joe's, I believe it's going to be in The Bloc. If I could ask, has there been any major changes of Macy's Plaza?

Also, what's up with the MyFig project? Has it not started yet?
Thanks!

Yes the Rialto marquee had some of their neon smashed (south side) - their having it remade now though I don't know how long that will take. The Tower facade was also tagged around the same time.. May Co is being consistently tagged, as is Commercial Exchange now. From what I can tell the taggers in DTLA are conspiring via Instagram. They discover which buildings they can get into by seeing where other people post pictures from, then they go and tag it (and often take images of them tagging and post to Instagram to brag). I've taken this information to the police, and to property owners several times - nothing ever comes of it.

Yes the Trader Joes is practically confirmed for The Bloc. This means Ralphs, Smart & Final, Trader Joes, and Whole Foods, will all be within just a couple blocks of each other.

Macys Plaza is pretty torn up at the moment - I'll try and snap some pictures this week. Its mostly interior work so far.

Unfortunately no work has started on MyFig yet.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 2:42 PM

dtladenizen, one of your photos inspired an article in yesterday's LA Times!

Quote:

A closer aerial look at what might be the subterranean ruins
of the old L.A. Times Building. Demolition crews already had
knocked down much of what is pictured by Monday. (Hunter Kerhart)

You've made a mark there just as I think you'll make a mark here in the 'my city photos' forum. This may be the first or only thread in this page that contains mainly devlpt oriented or more informative type of pics instead of the more purely touristy images that most forumers in this section favor & post here. So this to me will become one of the 2 best, more interesting, threads here at ssp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLAdenizen View Post
Yes the Trader Joes is practically confirmed for The Bloc. This means Ralphs, Smart & Final, Trader Joes, and Whole Foods, will all be within just a couple blocks of each other.
I'm not too thrilled with the idea of TJs opening up at the Bloc since, as you note, there will alot of grocery stores in a small section of dt, all competing even more furiously with one another because of that. That's why I'd rather TJ spread the wealth around.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
dtladenizen, one of your photos inspired an article in yesterday's LA Times!

You've made a mark there just as I think you'll make a mark here in the 'my city photos' forum. This may be the first or only thread in this page that contains mainly devlpt oriented or more informative type of pics instead of the more purely touristy images that most forumers in this section favor & post here. So this to me will become one of the 2 best, more interesting, threads here at ssp.

I'm not too thrilled with the idea of TJs opening up at the Bloc since, as you note, there will alot of grocery stores in a small section of dt, all competing even more furiously with one another because of that. That's why I'd rather TJ spread the wealth around.
Thanks for pointing out the Times article.

TJ's at the Bloc will still do very well. There aren't many other spaces for them to go in because they need a loading area. I think all these stores will still do obscenely well.

Whole Foods will attract all the well-off from South Park and Arts District and some of the workers from Financial before they head home.

TJ's will attract literally EVERYBODY from everywhere. Near, far, rich, poor. Specially since there will be decent parking (something many LA TJ's lack).

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 6:49 PM
Babylon falling

Looks like they had to remove a bunch of trees for that 8th and Grand project, that blows.... Will developer be forced to plant mature trees in their place?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 7:57 PM
SD/OC

I was just in DTLA this weekend and was impressed with the activity and streetlife which seems (to me anyway) to have increased over the past few years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos