HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 12:04 PM

[Orleans] Days Inn | ?m | 3 fl | Proposed

Finally a hotel in Orleans

-Tenth Line Road and St. Joseph Boulevard
-3 to 4 star hotel with 70 Rooms.
-Banquet hall holding 175.
-$5.5 to $6.5 million

Quote:
Orléans gets a hotel of its own
Ben Costen, The Ottawa Citizen
Published: Thursday, March 20, 2008

Officials yesterday unveiled "what Orléans has been waiting for, for 30 years" -- a hotel of its own.

The east-side Ottawa community has lacked any hotels since the Normandy was demolished in 1978 to make way for construction of the Queensway.

Now, with a 70-room Days Inn to open by January 2009 at the corner of Tenth Line Road and St. Joseph Boulevard, "we have a central location where people can stop and go to," said Councillor Bob Monette.

Visiting sports teams and nearby businesses will be especially appreciative, said the councillor, who was joined at the announcement by Mayor Larry O'Brien.

Residents of Kanata, at the other end of the city, had also long lamented the concentration of most accommodation in downtown Ottawa, but several hotels have been built in Kanata in recent years.

"I don't know" why it took 30 years to bring a hotel to Orléans, which is home to more than 100,000, said Mr. Monette.

The Days Inn, to employ 30, will be built by Siljub Investment Ltd., headed by Orléans resident Maherun Shariff.

Her husband, Bahadur Shariff, said the company had been waiting for three years to buy the site.

The turning point came when an Orléans resident offered to sell her residential property.

The hotel will be a three- to four-star facility with a banquet hall capable of 175 people, said Mr. Shariff.

A company headed by Mr. Shariff, Siljub Hospitality Inc., is being sued by Ramada Worldwide Inc. for trademark infringement in the U.S.

The hotelier said the suit will not affect Siljub Investment Inc.'s Orléans project, which he valued at $5.5 million to $6.5 million.

© The Ottawa Citizen 2008

Last edited by c_speed3108; Apr 3, 2008 at 1:04 PM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 12:07 PM
National Capital Region

close to Orleans town centre as well

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 12:14 PM

The impression I get from this article is that it is NOT part of the Orleans Town Centre project, which itself had proposed a hotel (site plan: http://www.forum-flp.com/pdf/orleans...an_sept06.pdf).

Anyone know exactly where this site is? It seems like it is somewhere between Tenth Line and Old Tenth Line, around where the police station is?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...05075&t=h&z=17

?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
The impression I get from this article is that it is NOT part of the Orleans Town Centre project, which itself had proposed a hotel (site plan: http://www.forum-flp.com/pdf/orleans...an_sept06.pdf).

Anyone know exactly where this site is? It seems like it is somewhere between Tenth Line and Old Tenth Line, around where the police station is?

?
There are a couple possibilities I can think of:

1) that old house just east of the police station (although I don't think it has enough land)
(marked on your map)

2) one of those house just west of the new stacked townhouses just west of Tenth Line.

The town centre complex is somewhat getting extended through to tenth line. Check out the arts centre thread. There is a diagram on the website for that project. It had proposed a hotel at the other end of the area near Place D'Orleans. Clearly this Day's Inn is NOT going in that location.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 2:09 PM

Does anyone have an update on what the address will be?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 2:21 PM

The Orleans newspaper is saying the corner of Tenth Line and St. joesph...

Hard to say exactly

http://www.eastottawa.ca/article-194...-30-years.html

There is a bit of a picture:

Seems to be 3 floors

http://www.eastottawa.ca/article-194...-30-years.html

Photo Credit: EastOttawa.ca (photographer unknown...possibly Laura Cummings)

Last edited by c_speed3108; Apr 1, 2008 at 2:34 PM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 2:49 PM

Hmm...

I'm really curious where this is going (exactly) in...

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 2:55 PM
Progressive Curmudgeon

Looks just like the one on Hunt Club.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 3:56 PM

It probably is the same rendering as Hunt Club.

Siljub (who has a banner on the poster) also owns/owned the Days Inn at the Airport.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 4:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Aren't there actually two intersections of Tenth Line and St-Joseph? Or maybe one is called "Old Tenth Line" and the other just "Tenth Line".

When I was kid growing up in Orleans, the signs for this used to read "ch. CONC 10 rd.", so francophones used to refer to it as "Dixième Ligne" and anglos would call it "Tenth Line". Now "Tenth Line" is the official name you see everywhere, though I don't know how many francophones today still use the French name.

Reminds me of how as a kid francophones used to always call St. Patrick Street "rue Saint-Patrice". That you don't hear anymore, unless you're talking to really old people.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 10:04 PM
Still optimistic

Choochoo:

Welcome to SSP!!

Man, I love this job!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 12:58 PM

Odd little opinion piece on this
Quote:
Days Inn is modest but it's ours
Richard Bercuson, The Ottawa Citizen
Published: Thursday, April 03, 2008

First the bad news: Disney has opted not to build a beach resort hotel in Orléans near Petrie Island.

This shouldn't be construed as insulting. A spokesperson for the entertainment colossus promised it had nothing to do with alleged bird droppings in the water polluting a possible body-surfing adventure ride.

Sigh.

The good news is Days Inn has filled the vacuum. The chain is building a 70-room hotel at the corner of Tenth Line and St. Joseph Boulevard.

For those whose eastern jaunts have never gone beyond St. Laurent Mall, the location happens to be well within the cusp of the civilized world.

You may have learned recently, thanks to the sports facility name brouhaha, east Ottawans are excitable. Perhaps this is the natural outcome of an inferiority complex since, ordinarily, a hotel is a hotel. But no, it clearly isn't.

This will be the first one built in Orléans in 30 years, or so goes a much publicized boast. Why it's a boast is a good question. You'd think a community with a history of being ignored by industry and the rest of the city wouldn't want to share such a shortcoming.

Do Kanata residents ever crow about the bizarre parking lot design of Centrum Plaza? Of course not. The embarrassment is too much to bear. They shut up about it and suffer, quietly meandering through its convoluted roadways.

Let's face it. The new hotel won't exactly be luxurious nor particularly spacious. A local paper has already given it a three-star rating, probably consistent with most of the chain's inns. If the halls aren't clean or the breakfast bagels turn stale, the rating could dip a star.

But sometimes, you take what you can get. If Days Inn and its parent Wyndham Hotel Group company see a future in Orléans, who are we to argue? It's not as if there's been any hotel competition out that way.

The closest ones reach only as far east as Innes Road at the 417. Ottawa isn't a large place which makes them within 15 minutes of downtown. Perhaps no one recognized a need to head further out. Times and demographics have changed though.

This new venture makes one wonder how west Ottawans reacted when the Brookstreet Hotel broke ground a few years back, especially when they learned how ritzy it was to be. Mind you, there are a few distinctions between the Brookstreet and the Orléans hotel.

Most notable will be the lobby. Days Inn hotels don't really have lobbies. If you examine a photo of the Days Inn near Central Park in Manhattan, you'll notice that what they deem a lobby is really just a large wooden counter. The photo doesn't show newspaper boxes, but my bet is there are a couple inside, too.

The business centre picture features -- features! -- two computers and a printer. That's in the Big Apple. One hesitates to guess at what the Orléans hotel might offer.

The Brookstreet, however, is rated a grand five-star hotel for one significant reason. Its lobby can double as a parking lot. I was there recently, sharing horror stories at a hockey referees clinic. Had it not been for the front doors being slightly narrower than my VW, I might have parked in the lobby. Shouldn't a five-star establishment at least have a drive-in check-in?

Days Inn has no such pretension. As long as there's a decent breakfast nook and a bundle of Citizens, it doesn't matter.

This new place will have a banquet hall for as many as 175 people. Out west, around Brookstreet, hear the guffaws. It advertises 22,000 square feet of meeting rooms. That's roughly space for 5,500 people if everyone stands with their legs crossed.

Beats the stuffing out of the Days Inn. No, in Orléans, it's going to be all about quaint, homey, and closeness.

Then there's golf. The Brookstreet overlooks the sumptuous Marshes Golf Club. From there, your GPS loaded golf cart can transport you to the next tee, the 3rd level washrooms in Scotiabank Place, or, indeed, around Centrum Plaza.

Days Inn? No golf. No spa either. No multi-star dining or wine list to salivate over. If you see a golf cart in the parking lot, someone took a serious wrong turn at the Hammond course.

But in a section of the city starved for attention and facilities, the hotel will fill a void. As long as visiting kids hockey teams can play mini-hockey in the halls.

Richard Bercuson is an Ottawa teacher and writer.

© The Ottawa Citizen 2008

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 1:06 PM

Orleans can't support a full-service brand, but the hotel at the Orleans Town Centre will be more upscale than the Days Inn.

Just found out the Days Inn will be on the NE corner of 10th/St. Joseph, east of the police station near Old Tenth Line.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo View Post
Orleans can't support a full-service brand, but the hotel at the Orleans Town Centre will be more upscale than the Days Inn.

Just found out the Days Inn will be on the NE corner of 10th/St. Joseph, east of the police station near Old Tenth Line.
That was my best guess. It was the only house which could have been sold that had enough land to build a hotel.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 6:03 PM

I believe a sign has gone up for this. I am not 100% sure since it faces the highway and I passed on St. Joe..... There is definitely some sort of a sign back there!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 12:08 PM

Site Plan Control is up
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__6AWUWG

65 units. Right by the off ramp...

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 11:39 PM

Moving right along here...

The house in question is having a "moving out" garage sale this weekend Friday-Sunday. (catching the rush hour traffic coming off the ramp on Friday )

Old Posted Jan 3, 2009, 8:13 PM

The Days Inn was supposed to start construction by now (as per their initial annoucement).

Does anyone know if it has started yet?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrcycl View Post
The Days Inn was supposed to start construction by now (as per their initial annoucement).

Does anyone know if it has started yet?

Nothing yet. The house was vacated a couple months back and so far as I can see is sitting empty. No vandalism since it is about 75 yards from the door of the police station...

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 9:37 PM

Thx.

Do let us know when it starts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs