HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 10:20 PM

as if that conversation was any better

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 10:44 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

Thanks for deleting the unnecessary posts they were making these threads very difficult to follow for members that do not log in often.

I think this is a good window for Hamilton to jump to the occasion with a proposal to create a significant university development in the downtown. Think of mixing the business school, medical center, and teacher's college all into downtown campus. Now that would be a shot in the arm for the downtown.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 12:41 AM
Closed account

that would be great.
you know what else would be awesome downtown is if...... oops, sorry. That was going to be a little off-topic. I almost forgot.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 7:17 PM

Is this even the type of facility we want in the downtown? Judging by what I've read it will serve mostly GTA businesspeople who are going for their MBA while working elsewhere. They won't be living or working in Hamilton, and will be too busy to hang around.

I wonder, maybe Appleby Line is the right location. If it's a drive-in, drive-out campus, why not put it next to the highway. It's even right next to the GO station so therefore better served by transit than downtown Hamilton or Burlington.

I'd like to see Mac expand their undergrad facilities to downtown. That would get students on the LRT and spending downtown.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
Is this even the type of facility we want in the downtown? Judging by what I've read it will serve mostly GTA businesspeople who are going for their MBA while working elsewhere. They won't be living or working in Hamilton, and will be too busy to hang around.

I wonder, maybe Appleby Line is the right location. If it's a drive-in, drive-out campus, why not put it next to the highway. It's even right next to the GO station so therefore better served by transit than downtown Hamilton or Burlington.

I'd like to see Mac expand their undergrad facilities to downtown. That would get students on the LRT and spending downtown.
Solid post. I don't want to see McMaster open a campus outside of Hamilton either, but it makes sense, especially given that McMaster seems to be trying to establish some kind of executive MBA program. Queen's University and the Ivey School of Business both offer executive MBA education right in Toronto.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 11:59 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

This is why I feel that the Burlington location is useless. Either open the school in downtown Toronto or downtown Hamilton where business is head quartered.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMRetrofit View Post
This is why I feel that the Burlington location is useless. Either open the school in downtown Toronto or downtown Hamilton where business is head quartered.
Downtown Hamilton really does not have much at all in the way of MBA-type jobs --- it is close to negligible. Burlington is closer to downtown Toronto, as well as places like Mississauga which really do have much more in the way of business head offices than does Hamilton.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 2:28 AM
Pro Urban Degenerate

Interesting I can think of over a hundred right now. Hamilton still has a higher concentration of office employment compared to its suburbs. Burlington is not a good choice of location for office head quarters. Mississauga would be better but what is the point. Its already U of T territory.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Interesting I can think of over a hundred right now. Hamilton still has a higher concentration of office employment compared to its suburbs. Burlington is not a good choice of location for office head quarters. Mississauga would be better but what is the point. Its already U of T territory.

You can think of over one hundred what right now? Potential employers of MBA graduates in downtown Hamilton?

Name fifty.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 5:24 AM
Pro Urban Degenerate

Show me stats and I will believe you. Until then downtown Hamilton employs nearly 40,000 persons. I estimate a minimum 3% of this to be holding MBAs for a total of 1200

Most major corporations lease space in downtown Hamilton. This includes major accounting firms like KPMG. If you believe my stats to be inaccurate please provide more detailed figures. Otherwise accept that downtown Hamilton is a good regional location to locate the MBA school.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Show me stats and I will believe you. Until then downtown Hamilton employs nearly 40,000 persons. I estimate a minimum 3% of this to be holding MBAs for a total of 1200

Most major corporations lease space in downtown Hamilton. This includes major accounting firms like KPMG. If you believe my stats to be inaccurate please provide more detailed figures. Otherwise accept that downtown Hamilton is a good regional location to locate the MBA school.
Please name the one hundred jobs you just thought of yesterday at 10:28pm.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 11:21 AM
Closed account

mods-- this is way off topic. Let's roll out the heavy hand again.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:

3% of 40,000 is way, way, way high.

I can look into this a little bit later on, but for now, the burden of proof lies squarely on you.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
mods-- this is way off topic. Let's roll out the heavy hand again.
What are you talking about? This is right on topic. We are talking about the suitability of downtown Hamilton as a location for an MBA/executive MBA school.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 12:42 PM
It's Hammer Time

Can't lock a thread or delete some of post simply because it goes off-topic. That only happens if there is bickering or lack of respect for other forumers.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 2:14 PM

What changed my mind on the issue was the fact that this would be an exclusive program, thus noone would need to split their time between two campuses. If that were the case, downtown Hamilton would be the best location and downtown Burlington would be the worst. Appleby is better served by both highways and transit from McMaster than downtown Burlington.

We should pick our battles wisely. MEC was a much bigger loss in my opinion.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 4:02 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
Downtown Hamilton really does not have much at all in the way of MBA-type jobs --- it is close to negligible. Burlington is closer to downtown Toronto, as well as places like Mississauga which really do have much more in the way of business head offices than does Hamilton.
Please provide statistics of these claims. Please provide evidence that Hamilton has fewer MBA positions than Burlington. The basis of your argument is that the school would be better located in Burlington because of higher MBA numbers. I am skeptical that this is the case.

Locating the school in Mississauga would be a non-starter, it is already U of T territory. Milton is already receiving a Laurier campus.

The Mac MBA program could easily occupy upper floors of Stelco Tower or something like that without ever needing to build a new campus.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 4:19 PM

Quote:
I think this is a good window for Hamilton to jump to the occasion with a proposal to create a significant university development in the downtown. Think of mixing the business school, medical center, and teacher's college all into downtown campus. Now that would be a shot in the arm for the downtown.
I don't think Mac is too interested in a downtown campus, period.

I think they find highway exposure and the ability to expand the campus (i.e. not be land-locked) more appealing. I know being land-locked won't be as big a problem in Hamilton as there is more vacant land available. But, I truly think they want that highway exposure and that's one of their prime motivators.

Also, I believe the land they now want to use has been donated. So to entice them to an alternate site they'll want more than the $10M they were getting from Burlington. They'll want $10M, plus free land.

I'm still of the opinion that Hamilton should look to other universities to expand the base of schools in Hamilton. I think that would make much more sense and show Mac while they are the biggest (in Hamilton), they are not the only game in town........

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 7:07 PM
On Guard For Thee

Regardless of the number of MBA-ready jobs in Hamilton OR Burlington--the point is missed. As has been discussed ad nauseum--Mac wants exposure to the GTA market--Toronto obviously has far and away the most MBA jobs in Canada--that's the exposure Mac wants, it has nothing whatsoever to do with MBA jobs in Burlington or Hamilton--it's all about the Q.E.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 8:11 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

I agree with you fastcart but still think that the University's aspirations to locate in Burlington are a dog's leg. Downtown Toronto would be the place to be. That is where the concentration is going to be. A GTA business park is not going to be any better than downtown Hamilton. I don't see the prestige in locating beside a highway whether it is in Burlington or Brampton. The location will still be inconvenient for MBAs who are downtown Toronto. Might as well put the school downtown Hamilton and create a mini me of Toronto's CBD.

Other than this, the the next best place would be Thornhill.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs