HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 12:09 AM
Cat Enthusiast

My city, Birmingham, is in a tremendous position to benefit from its own, existing, street grid system. The region benefits from the densely populated corridors that have developed throughout the region's valleys.

Ideally, Birmingham would have a rail system, I think, like its northern twin, Pittsburgh. There is density in certain corridors, but the multitude of local governments make it impossible for the region to consider the region's transportation system holistically.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 1:51 AM

I would take Houston's small scale densification of older core single family neighborhoods for Miami as well. I also like how it leaves some existing structures in tact. We tend to just obliterate entire neighborhoods in one fell swoop (see Miami's Edgewater neighborhood and the whole sale demolition of most of the cities oldest housing stock for 40 and 50 story towers).

I would take DC's suburban rail system. We already have the multi-nodal nature.

One more unusual aspect of a city that I would take is how Chicago elevates its streets effectively hiding the large parking podiums of buildings. The parking is above ground but below street level as the street level is raised 5+ stories off the ground. With below ground parking being such a super high cost endeavor in super low lying areas like Brickell

Since Miami can't have large scale below ground parking, raise the "ground".
Retrofit Brickell like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...297982!6m1!1e1

The street level 5+ stories up:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...297982!6m1!1e1

We are almost there already, we just need the "upper" streets:
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7664...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 6:39 AM

I wish LA would get rid of the 2am last call and extend drinking hours to at least 4am or later like Miami, Chicago and elsewhere.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 7:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I wish LA would get rid of the 2am last call and extend drinking hours to at least 4am or later like Miami, Chicago and elsewhere.
I think it's a state thing. But yeah, you and me both.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
I think it's a state thing. But yeah, you and me both.
It is a state thing but good news, legislation is being submitted to change to 4

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 4:43 PM
Ascension

Quote:
If that's the case, the Red Line needs to run 24 hrs.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 5:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
If that's the case, the Red Line needs to run 24 hrs.
Virtually no city has 24 hour subway service except New York.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 5:06 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
chicago has 24 hour service on the red and blue lines (the two main trunk lines of the el system).

most of the other el lines typically have service interruptions from ~1:00am to ~4:00am.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 5:08 PM
BANNED

Are those double tracked? (or whatever the technical term is idk) None of LA's lines are I don't think. They need to be shut down for maintenance.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 6:42 AM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
Copenhagen! And London.

But yeah, most European cities close their metros for 3 or 4 hrs (2.30 -5.30) for maintenance as parts of the system won't have double tracks (read: still work while a train sits offline).

London claimed that problem for years, even though it had up to sixtuplet tracks. And it's nightlife was huge for decades - during the 90's 500,000 clubbers hit the capital each night, during the 00's the Soho Triangle alone had become the world's largest nightlife district pulling in 500,000 each night and 1 million on weekends, whose streets stayed packed till 5am, while rival districts like Shoreditch, Islington and Vauxhall worked the other sides. They relied on a huge fleet of night buses after 1 am to ferry them home. Since then soaring rents has forced much of the nightlife out of the centre

It took 25 years but finally the Night Tube has been introduced last year, after tortuous talks with the country's strongest trade unions, which had always been the biggest unsaid setback - 'drivers' are paid $62,000 for daytime shifts, and refused to change hours - in the end they had to hire a whole new army of people (who don't even drive, but press the button for opening the doors), at a time when they were meant to be cutting staff as their bloated salaries were a financial black hole.

They run every 8 minutes on the weekends, serving an average 180,000 each night-dawn window. Even though demand has fallen - too little too late imo, but at last.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 1:13 PM
The City

Let's not kid ourselves about New York's 24 hour train service.

Many a time when I lived there I waited for the train on Saturday at 2 am for nearly an hour before giving up and catching a cab

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

Many a time when I lived there I waited for the train on Saturday at 2 am for nearly an hour before giving up and catching a cab
Let's not kid ourselves that this is a regular occurrence, and not a rather isolated incident though.

Virtually the entire system is open with trains running maximum every 20 min.

I don't think I've ever waited an hour in the wee hours... if I have once or twice, I don't remember, and certainly not a regular occurrence.

Also some lines do shut down for weekend work (day and night). The weekends in general are usually a clusterfuck with trains rerouted, line segments shut down.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 2:11 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
I don't know much about rail construction, do you need a certain type of soil to support a tunnel? ...
I don't know, but with the sheer number of cities that are in earthquake zones and yet still have subways (LA, San Francisco, Tokyo, etc, etc) there must be engineering solutions for a variety of soil types.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 2:13 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

Ditto for chicago's "24 hour" el service.

in my younger (and poorer) days, there was more than one occasion where i waited an excruciatingly long time for a blue or red line train in the wee morning hours.

these days, i'm not often out and about at those hours to begin with (kids), and if i am, the decision between an uber that will pick me up within a minute and drop me off at my front door vs. a walk to the nearest train station and a god-only-knows-how-long wait for a train to arrive (could be 5 minutes or 25 minutes or seemingly never) is a VERY easy one to make.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 7, 2017 at 3:04 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 3:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I'd like LA/Bay area to learn from Tokyo and just let people build whatever they want where ever they want more or less.
I'd say eliminate the strict oversight/regulations of the CCC. A 30 ft heigh limit along the coastal zone is crazy. Allow for more height if a city determines that is what's best.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 3:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
You might get your wish one day. This was proposed in Feb: The Let Our Communities Adjust Late Night Act, would allow CA cities to establish their own last call hours. Not sure what happened to it, probably failed, but there's talk.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 3:36 PM

Detroit city should adapt the ability to annex surrounding suburbs to increase population and tax base, like Indianapolis and Columbus have done.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Detroit city should adapt the ability to annex surrounding suburbs to increase population and tax base, like Indianapolis and Columbus have done.
Indy merged with it's county, and Columbus never annexed any incorporated suburbs that I am aware of-it mostly annexed undeveloped land that later was developed. Many already developed areas have strongly opposed annexation attempts(like the Lincoln Village area, Blacklick Estates, etc.)and remain township land.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are so many examples of what lessons Columbus could learn from other cities. The biggest-get a decent public transportation system!-*looks at just about any large metro in the nation to get an example*

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Hell to the NO.

The city is already ridiculously oversized which already causes problems. Not to mention this would never in a million years happen, the suburbs would start a damn war.

Annexation would only inspire white flight part two, and it's not even necessary since white yuppies already flock to the core city.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 6:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Hell to the NO.

The city is already ridiculously oversized which already causes problems. Not to mention this would never in a million years happen, the suburbs would start a damn war.

Annexation would only inspire white flight part two, and it's not even necessary since white yuppies already flock to the core city.
I actually agree with you here. That would be the worst possible thing for Metro Detroit.

It makes you wonder if parts of inner city Detroit should secede from the city in order to spur/encourage redevelopment? Thoughts?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions