HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 11:53 PM

I was reading Phil McLeod's blog and he talked about how after a council debate and appeals to the OMB, the province would approve of the plan by late 2015 or early 2016. As someone who wasn't alive when the last plan was approved, what kinds of things do you think will be modified/removed en route to the plan's approval?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 4:29 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 7:51 PM

I hope that Gary Smith can somehow psychically feel my distaste for him:

'As president of the Friends of Meadowlily Woods Community Association, he described the area as a “non-conforming neighbourhood” that’s “overwhelmingly” covered with green space. Things that are typical in other areas, he says, aren’t welcome: “We’re hoping you’ll keep your sidewalks in the other parts of the city and leave us natural.”'

Nothing more natural and environmentally-friendly than neighbourhoods so car-dependent that you don’t even pretend anyone would walk in them, right?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post
I hope that Gary Smith can somehow psychically feel my distaste for him:

'As president of the Friends of Meadowlily Woods Community Association, he described the area as a “non-conforming neighbourhood” that’s “overwhelmingly” covered with green space. Things that are typical in other areas, he says, aren’t welcome: “We’re hoping you’ll keep your sidewalks in the other parts of the city and leave us natural.”'

Nothing more natural and environmentally-friendly than neighbourhoods so car-dependent that you don’t even pretend anyone would walk in them, right?
Been caught up in that shitstorm too many times in the past. I'm quite familiar with the code words and phrases:

1) Non-conforming neighbourhood. Interpretation: My neighbourhood is special as are the people who live here. We get to set our own rules, including what happens to our streets. That thing about our streets being a public thoroughfare is just a formality.

2) Green space. Interpretation: I value the old establishment interpretation of prosperity and respectability being a large front lawn. The larger the better. My front lawn has always gone all the way to the curb and I will not loose some of my lawn to a public sidewalk, a sidewalk I'll never use. The City may think they own that land, but in reality I'm special and I get to control it.

3) Keep your sidewalks in the other parts of the city. Interpretation: I don't subscribe to your new ways of thinking. Sidewalks are for the poor who can't afford a car. Those people are losers. We don't want losers, or for that matter any other riff-raff prowling our exclusive neighbourhood on these sidewalks. Keep the riff-raff and the sidewalks they prowl on in the remainder of the city that isn't here.

4) natural. Interpretation: Sidewalk construction requires heavy equipment that is bad for the environment. Taking away grass is also bad for the environment. Therefore sidewalks are bad for the environment. (in reality I know it's a lame excuse and in reality I'm not going to change one iota of my rightful lifestyle - although "others" really should)

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 2:43 PM

To be fair to this guy - assuming he is just talking about Meadowlily Road - there is barely any houses on it and most of it is woods. That said it does connect to the Thames Valley Parkway and has a pedestrian only bridge on the road so having some sort of sidewalk or at least safe walking area would make sense.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@42.96802...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 4:55 PM

What happened to: Rethink London? It went silent....

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupcheck View Post
What happened to: Rethink London? It went silent....
In May 2014, Rethink London was "folded" into The London Plan, our city's draft/new official plan. It was adopted by council, and approved by the province. Now, the plan faces multiple appeals at the Ontario Municipal Board. After that, the plan goes into effect.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy