HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 11:56 PM

^You don't need to place a stoplight at both of those places though it's as if the city likes to waste money.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 2:26 PM

Here's where it is, a cross walk would have worked great for the people using the bike/walk paths near assiniboine park.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
I've seen this light as well..and had the same thoughts as you. Has the city got so traffic light happy that it's placing them in locations where no intersection even exists?
I haven't seen the Grant pedestrian light from the pedestrian side of things. It is possible it is actually an on-demand crosswalk but structured as a traffic light for vehicles. The first one of these in Winnipeg is actually on Osborne by the Village Inn. It replaced a previous light cross walk at that same location if I remember correctly. I have also seen similar lights used in other cities. This is actually a safer implementation for everyone. I actually wish the fire station light on Portage Ave was a full and proper traffic light instead of missing the green like it does now.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Have one on portage by polo park as well.
That one I am completely OK with. There's so many pedestrians that cross there due to the bus stops/loop/polo, and if you had a crosswalk not only would it be unsafe, but it would be constantly going and traffic would never move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I haven't seen the Grant pedestrian light from the pedestrian side of things. It is possible it is actually an on-demand crosswalk but structured as a traffic light for vehicles. The first one of these in Winnipeg is actually on Osborne by the Village Inn. It replaced a previous light cross walk at that same location if I remember correctly. I have also seen similar lights used in other cities. This is actually a safer implementation for everyone. I actually wish the fire station light on Portage Ave was a full and proper traffic light instead of missing the green like it does now.
The one on Osborne isn't really any more on-demand than any other light with a button. I've pressed the button and waited 30 seconds or more before, it depends on timing. The advantage is that it's always just a stop sign to cross, so pedestrians can cross N-S freely. TBH, I think it would have made more sense for them to just relocate the crosswalk that's a block south to this corner... that one doesn't get too much use.

The only truly "on-demand" light that I've experienced is the one near Pembina Dodge that was put up for the RT line. When a vehicle (80% busses) pull up to that light it almost immediately changes.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 8:40 PM

If the Osborne light still has a pedestrian button it is 100% an on-demand light. Keep in mind "on-demand" and "immediate" are not the same thing so you could press it and still need to wait.

In terms of on-demand lights there are lots of them around but not a lot that are obvious. Portage at Overdale (by Sargent Sundae) stands out as a more obvious one. If you are travelling west on Portage at the right time you can see the pedestrian signal counting down to don't cross as would happen in advance of a light cycle change. If there is no "demand" from the Overdale side though it immediately cycles back to "walk" and Portage Ave traffic keeps their green light.

Along those same lines, the fire station on Portage Ave just west of Polo Park also has an on-demand traffic light for when they are coming out. I think Sterling Lyon and Kenaston also has demand based elements built into its light cycle. I know the east-west light cycle there can be extremely short of there aren't a lot of vehicles.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 12:23 AM

Henderson and Munroe is another one that is noticeable for staying green depending on the time of day. If there is no traffic waiting on Munroe the light stays green on Henderson.

You go to the next signalized intersection north at Henderson and Kimberly and it will go red to Henderson even if there is no waiting traffic on Kimberly because of the south to east turn phase off of Henderson to Kimberly.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 3:41 PM

As for the traffic lights near Shaftsbury, that's simply a safe pedestrian crossing. I'd much prefer they use this style rather than the overhead signs with flashing yellow lights. Same as in front of Polo Park, Portage at Langside, Portage at Balmoral etc. etc.

Now, we have traffic lights all over the City that are on demand, staying green for traffic in one direction unless traffic or pedestrians cause the light to change. In some cases it's just to activate a turning light and a vehicle has to be over the sensor in the road to trip the signal. They seem prone to breaking down though in which case the signal cycles on every light sequence.

On my commute to work at 4:30 AM is a good time to see it in action. First is #1 at 207 (Deacon's Corner. Green light for #1 unless there is traffic coming off 207 or a left turning vehicle off #1 activates the turn light.

Next is Fermor at Lagimodiere. Green through light for Lagimodiere unless the sensors are tripped by traffic on Fermor or left turning traffic on Lagimodiere.

Carrying on down Fermor, Beaverhill, Southdale Centre, Lakewood and then Archibald, all sensor or pedestrian activated or lights stay green on Fermor.

Fermor at St Annes is currently rotating for through traffic both directions, left turns sensor activated. Not long ago, it was set to green for St Annes and didn't change unless a vehicle was over a sensor or pedestrian hit the button. Same thing at St Mary's Road. Actually missed a light cycle because I was past the sensor in the road at the stop line. The sensor is farther back there due to the red light camera sensors. Doh! It had been cycling though green lights without the sensor for quite a few months but I guess they fixed it back to priority green on St Mary's.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 4:17 PM

These priority lighting configurations are quite common throughout the city now. All the lights along the Kenaston extension are programmed this way with priority obviously to Kenaston. Generally they work pretty well as long as the minimum green cycles for the priority route are not ridiculously low.

One route that has priority signals with very short green cycles is the perimeter. I was told by MIT that minimum green for perimeter is 13 seconds...if I recall correctly if there are no vehicles within 190 meters of the intersection the signal will trip for the intersecting route (or a left turn off perimeter) if there's a vehicle to activate the sensor. Problem is there may be 50 vehicles just past 190 meters flying at 100 km/hr plus..they are all forced to stop to allow movement for what is often 1-2 vehicles. This is a very common scenario. IMO...MIT needs to re-visit these arrangements. Such a short minimum green makes no sense on a highway. 190 meters is not a long distance for vehicles travelling at these speeds.

But generally these types of city intersections are programmed quite well.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
These priority lighting configurations are quite common throughout the city now. All the lights along the Kenaston extension are programmed this way with priority obviously to Kenaston. Generally they work pretty well as long as the minimum green cycles for the priority route are not ridiculously low.
Kenaston is an excellent example. As a bus operator driving the Kenaston leg of the 78 route in the fall winter the lights drove me nuts. Miss a light cycle because no cars were at Lowson and Kenaston to trip the light and lose 2.5 minutes.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 9:46 AM

Why turning lanes were never added to the new Transcona Blvd. at Plessis is a head scratcher, since it is a completely new roadway excavating and adding fill and pavement wouldn't have been much of an added cost, whoever okay'd the roadway as is needs a knee in the nuts.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 1:18 PM

the city and developer were holding off until the two lanes on the north side of Transcona Boulevard were built in the future as the geometry of the intersection will change.

I would not be surprised though to see at least a partial 4 lane section built and turn lanes added , if and when the new Transcona library, YMCA, BRT station and monument to Russ Wyatt gets build.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 4:20 PM

The city did the minimum possible there. All the work is throw away when that goes to 4 lanes. The Kildare side will need to be completely redone anyways, as its only two lanes.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The city did the minimum possible there. All the work is throw away when that goes to 4 lanes. The Kildare side will need to be completely redone anyways, as its only two lanes.
Thanks for the explanation, so the current roadway alignment should remain the same for the next 25 years when it does go to four lanes!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
In some cases it's just to activate a turning light and a vehicle has to be over the sensor in the road to trip the signal. They seem prone to breaking down though in which case the signal cycles on every light sequence.
Based on observations it seems the signal switching has a toggle to allow the light to be "on-demand" from the sensor or to always cycle. I saw that issue happening this past summer with a light and it was changed to always cycle. It is also worth noting that there are other types of sensors in use for on-demand lights. There used to be, and might still be, transit priority signals on Main St. This were mounted horizontal on the light pole and would trip if there was a bus waiting giving it one of those special "transit only" lights. The other is on Main St near Selkirk Ave where they have a similar camera type system over the left turn lane pointed towards the ground. That one was in place of an in-ground sensor that could not be replaced.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 11:41 PM

The camera sensors are being used in a lot of intersections in Winnipeg.

The one on North bound Main at Selkirk was the first one installed in the city and was the subject of a few calls to the local news media asking if it was one of those "newfangled" red light cameras.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 2:41 AM

So according to a story in the Sun, because they are part of the 5 most accident prone intersections in Wpg..both Kenaston/McGillivary and Bishop/St.Mary's are to have dedicated police presence for one year. There will also be signs placed along these routes alerting motorists that they are approaching a high-collision intersection. MPI will be on the hook for the costs (according to the story about half a million) which will be recouped through higher autopac bills next year no doubt.

This is the best this place can come up with? Is this not an indication to start planning for actual intersection improvements? Gawd knows they are long overdue

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 3:31 AM

If they can prevent one major long term bodily injury claim MPI could probably cover the costs of this program without putting up rates.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 3:24 PM

So they're going to have police at the intersections. 24 hours per day? Even still, they're going to have police there. Are they going to be standing on a pedestal in the middle of the intersection, like the old days? I'm not sure what they can provide.

IMO, if they're not out there in the intersection what are they doing? If they're going to be out standing on the roadway at the most dangerous intersections, yikes.. Asking for trouble.

I'm all for making these intersections safer. But I'm not sure this is the answer. Maybe if this was a smaller intersection downtown, where police could aide in traffic and pedestrian flow.safety, okay cool. But not on major arterials or expressways.

Sun article is here: http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/01/1...-intersections

5 most dangerous intersections between 2005 and 2014, with number of collisions:
1. Leila and McPhillips - 2326
2. Kenaston and McGillivray - 2298
3. Kenaston and Grant - 1747
4. Lagimodiere and Regent - 1700
5. Bishop and St. Mary's - 1546

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
So they're going to have police at the intersections. 24 hours per day? Even still, they're going to have police there. Are they going to be standing on a pedestal in the middle of the intersection, like the old days? I'm not sure what they can provide.

IMO, if they're not out there in the intersection what are they doing? If they're going to be out standing on the roadway at the most dangerous intersections, yikes.. Asking for trouble.

I'm all for making these intersections safer. But I'm not sure this is the answer. Maybe if this was a smaller intersection downtown, where police could aide in traffic and pedestrian flow.safety, okay cool. But not on major arterials or expressways.

Sun article is here: http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/01/1...-intersections

5 most dangerous intersections between 2005 and 2014, with number of collisions:
1. Leila and McPhillips - 2326
2. Kenaston and McGillivray - 2298
3. Kenaston and Grant - 1747
4. Lagimodiere and Regent - 1700
5. Bishop and St. Mary's - 1546
I saw the sign at Leila and Mcphillips yesterday and all I could do is laugh and think this is classic Winnipeg. Why fix a problem when it is cheaper to just put up a sign?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 5:21 PM

That's how they do it. Oh there's an issue, we'll reduce the speed and put up a sign. Problem solved.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan