HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 8:34 PM

They placed a bunch of form work above the Pier. Also, tons of cars there today (I’m assuming workers) & I saw 2 pump trucks going at the same time. I hope they’re actually starting to move on it.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
I must have misread the news briefings because originally I thought that the developer of the Freedom Financial development was planning a third building that would mirror the Freedom Financial building's but was to be built on spec. Then someone mentioned that Freedom Financial would be moving forward with a phase III. I had no idea that there will be TWO new four story building's on the 101 and 202 corner...one that will be spec and the other for Freedom Financials phase III! Good news!
Just to clarify the site plan:

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 12:47 AM

^ That site previously looked like a giant landfill and was probably the biggest 'freeway visible eyesore' besides Elevation Chandler. Awesome project!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 10:48 PM
Skyriser

Really? I drove by it thousands of times it seems and it was just a sand and gravel pit that didn't look particularly out of place for its position on the riverbed and undeveloped reservation/outskirts of tempe.

It had been part of the landscape for so long I'm actually surprised a bit that it redeveloped.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 3:23 PM

It would have been pretty badass if they took the 4th building and continued to wrap it around the 202 to 101 exit bend and created just a wall of class A office. Or did less buildings and double the height for two buildings. Either way, solid improvement from the wasteland look in the past.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 9:23 PM

Hard at work at the Collective.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Hard at work at the Collective.
After continuous soaking for a few days at the Westin site, there is a hiatus at that site. Also the contractor signboard (shown below from an earlier positing) is no longer there.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 10:24 PM

As someone else mentioned trolly rail going in a Gamage on Mill. Got about a 100 ft started.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 7:43 PM

Anyone know what's going on at the retail spaces at the transportation center? They have the glass taken out, and the whole area fenced off, and appear to be demoing the existing TI's.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 3:58 AM

Hard work at both Canopy by Hilton and Mirabella

Progress of Watermark Tempe, on schedule for Summer 2019 open. Apartments are scheduled for delivery some time around April or May 2019.

Last edited by Mr.RE; Nov 21, 2018 at 4:54 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 6:27 PM

Streetcar News

http://www.orionprop.com/topfive/tem...ling-downtown/

Article on the tempe streetcar. Glad to see federal funding approval as the reason they are already starting construction. A few hundred feet of rail already installed on the Mill/Gammage bend

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
I think Tempe really missed the boat and could've placed a nice convention center on the lake. It would've been expensive yes but think of all the development lakeside it could spark and have a nice pedestrian concourse from say Pier 202 to TCA? I think the development on the lake is actually making steady progress but this should have been developed around the time Phoenix was moving forward with their recent replacement. There is a fine limitation though in the convention market and I am sure Phoenix alone will absorb most of that. I think at one point the Union/ Canopy block was suppose to be a mixed use development with a small convention center component.
Totally agree. A convention center at Rio/Rural with two-sided retail would have been incredible and created a walkable lakeside experience. I wish that the circulation of the old HFL site had been completed so that every project connected. Towers are great but that block is not walkable at all on either side, unless a jog to Starbucks is worth it.

It won't happen since minor renovations are planned, but I wish the city RFPd City Hall and muni complex. A reconnected 6th Street, high-rise hotel/office and residential near the transit center would be desirable IMO.

Despite the activity, the retail scene is still really lagging. Sad to hear the TCC spaces are being removed since at 1 time, they were filled and that should be a simple area for leasing. I would love to see remodels that incorporated retail; the old US Airways plaza, Hayden Station, Block 12, etc. But, then the Brickyard and W6 have never filled out...

I wish the streetcar would just go away; it literally adds no service and the remaining trees will be torn for stations, etc. Mill already looks horrible compared to 2012ish re: the trees.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Totally agree. A convention center at Rio/Rural with two-sided retail would have been incredible and created a walkable lakeside experience. I wish that the circulation of the old HFL site had been completed so that every project connected. Towers are great but that block is not walkable at all on either side, unless a jog to Starbucks is worth it.
I've never really understood why the powers that be basically gave up on any real pedestrian focus on Rio Salado. The apartments off 1st street west of Mill all turn their backs to Rio Salado; Hayden Ferry is all insular; and Marina Heights sort of nods at Rio Salado but there's no real activation there. I make the walk between HFL and Marina Heights occasionally precisely to go to that Starbucks, and while the walk is enjoyable to me, it's definitely not something where they've really thoughtfully prioritized the pedestrian experience--you're either walking along the dirt access road along the lake, or on Rio Salado where the experience is fine, but again there's not much to it.

Quote:
Despite the activity, the retail scene is still really lagging. Sad to hear the TCC spaces are being removed since at 1 time, they were filled and that should be a simple area for leasing. I would love to see remodels that incorporated retail; the old US Airways plaza, Hayden Station, Block 12, etc. But, then the Brickyard and W6 have never filled out...
Do you know for sure that that's what they're doing with the TCC retail spaces? Not doubting you, I just haven't heard one way or another what's happening there other than seeing the construction fence.

It's strange re: retail that some areas/buildings have no problem filling spaces, while others seems to languish. It seems like it's more an issue with particular building owners than retail in Tempe in general. Mill always has some churn in tenants, but none of the spaces seem to stay vacant long. The Union had half a dozen retail tenants before occupancy. The 'Wedge' (the old College Bookstore) seemingly had no difficulty filling up with 6-7 retail tenants. Not my industry so I can't really say what the issue is. But 5th St. in particular seems to have a hard time--the TCC, the parking garage across the street and University House don't seem to be able to hang on to retail tenants.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 6:57 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
I've never really understood why the powers that be basically gave up on any real pedestrian focus on Rio Salado. The apartments off 1st street west of Mill all turn their backs to Rio Salado; Hayden Ferry is all insular; and Marina Heights sort of nods at Rio Salado but there's no real activation there. I make the walk between HFL and Marina Heights occasionally precisely to go to that Starbucks, and while the walk is enjoyable to me, it's definitely not something where they've really thoughtfully prioritized the pedestrian experience--you're either walking along the dirt access road along the lake, or on Rio Salado where the experience is fine, but again there's not much to it.
Yep...and I brought this up a couple years ago when the AC Hotel was getting built as to why there wasn't more being done to address Rio Salado and asking why AC Hotel wasn't being built to face the street. I was pretty much chided for it

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 7:41 PM

To add to the conversation....there have been multiple stories recently about how SF and NYC can't fill their retail spaces old and new alike. There are various reasons specifically to those markets (asking rates from landlords/ ridiculous taxes and regulations of a deep blue state..etc). So much so that their mayors are considering taxing landlords for vacant spaces (which will worsen the problem). There are also the fact that retail is dyi...changing with the times. Chains are saddled in debt and will have to close or consolidate. E-commerce need I say more. The slowdown of SBA secured lending etc. I think the problem with Tempe and Phoenix in general is while "urban" retail is pricey, I think there will be some demand in the short term...but Phoenix has kinda come into the game way too late. I think it's really going to get hard in the years to come for developers to successfully intergrade retail in their vertical mixed use projects. They have been reluctant to in the past as we have seen...and unless you're the Union Tempe with an intense daily pedestrian traffic count...I think it's going to difficult to fill some of these spaces.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 7:53 PM
Skyriser

The problem is directly because of greedy landlords. In California, Prop 13 makes it very lucrative to sit on vacant and underused property because the taxes barely go up and people will profit when they sell.

AZ does not have the high housing prices that make lower-wage storefronts difficult. The problem there too is still greedy landlords, it's just not subsidized like it is here.

Spaces in both cities would rent at realistic prices.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 4:42 PM

Tempe Town Lake Development

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-in-tempe.html

It only took about two decades for Tempe Town Lake to become a success in development circles.

“It can be frustrating sometimes, but top-quality development doesn’t happen overnight,” Guiliano said.

Lately, that high-quality development has come in large quantities. According to CBRE Group Inc. research, the lakefront is now home to 3.1 million square feet of rentable area, while commercial buildings along the lake have a vacancy rate of just 1.2 percent. Another 450,000 square feet of space is under construction around the lake.

Developers and real estate experts agree there is steady appetite for more commercial space along the man-made lake, even as rents begin to escalate.

“We’re seeing nothing but continued demand for space,” said Mike Strittmatter, a vice president at CBRE who has handled leasing at many landmark projects in Tempe.

Development ramps up

The lake, which opened in 1999, cost about $45.5 million for initial construction, $26.9 million of which was paid for by private developers in the community facilities district around the lake, according to the city of Tempe. Those districts allow cities to levy special fees to fund infrastructure, and developers often sign on with the promise of benefiting with better values for their properties.

During the 19 years since the lake was finished, close to $3 billion worth of construction has been concentrated along its shores, one-third of which has come online during the past three years alone. The largest development is Marina Heights, the 2 million-square-foot State Farm campus, which was built on land owned by ASU.

Even with another $150 million worth of projects scheduled to come online next year on the north shore, Giuliano said the lake is not even halfway to the economic impact ultimately envisioned for the area.

The demand along Tempe Town Lake is begetting more demand as users are thirsty for high-quality developments, Strittmatter said. Even as Tempe’s rent has grown faster than every Valley submarket save one, the lake’s proximity to ASU, easy access to Loop 101 and 202 and central location stave off any worries of a downturn.

“People want to be located in Tempe, and those reasons aren’t going to change,” he said.

Tempe was forward-thinking early onin encouraging and requiring only high-density, well-designed projects on the lake, he said.

“The city of Tempe recognizes that lakefront property is limited, so the focus is on getting premier developments there,” he said. “Tempe wants to make sure the lake is framed by premier projects.”

Building on spec

Buying into the speculative nature of Tempe Town Lake, Fenix Development broke ground on what will be the tallest development on the lake so far, and second biggest in terms of acreage, during summer 2017. The $150 million Watermark Tempe, on the lake’s north shore and west of Scottsdale Road, will be a 15-story, 265,000-square-foot Class A office building, and include 44,000 square feet of restaurant and retail space.

“Our interest in Tempe and Tempe Town Lake started in 2010,” said Mike Loretz, project manager for Fenix Development.

What’s next

Much of the commercial development along the lake has taken place on the southern side, closer to ASU. But Loretz hopes the Watermark will set the standard for development on the northern bank.

“The north side of the lake is changing,” Loretz said. “We are setting the precedent for others to follow.”

While it might be challenging for a developer new to the market to build on lakefront land, Strittmatter said many developers, like Fenix with the Watermark, have the ability to expand their developments to more phases, adding coveted space to the submarket.

The lake will have no shortage of development in the near- or long-term. ASU has plans to construct a 350-acre development, called an “innovation zone” on the north side of the campus, including several parcels that front the lake. In total, the development, called Novus, will include 10 million square feet of mixed-use space.

Marina Heights was the first phase of Novus, and the Sun Devil Stadium renovation was the second phase. The third phase, which will include multifamily housing and office space, among other developments, will begin construction next year.

The area is also a draw for residential development, ranging from high-end for-purchase options, such as condos, to multifamily apartments, Giuliano said.

“We always said the lake shouldn’t be for just one group of people,” Giuliano said.

Long article, but a great read highlighting the growth tempe town lake can expect in the coming years ranging from office to residential. I hope future proposals will aim to activate the lake front and create a walkable frontage with retail/restaurant space facing the lake and more activities in the vicinity.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 7:10 PM

Revised Hayden House plans passed City Council. The city council meeting is worth a watch if you have the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyJLYND0r3g

The restoration plans for the Hayden House look awesome. By next year they plan to have the Hayden House fully restored (it's underway already), after which they will deed the property back to the City as a city event space. It will restore the original courtyard and original historic structure, while demoing the portions of the building on the south end that are later (60s/70s) non-historic additions.

The pedestrian walkway between the proposed office and hotel portions looks really great too--a shaded area that is programmable for events etc. The office will be phase 1, 209' (which is apparently as tall as they can go). I really like the vertical orientation of the design. Really hope they finally get it built this time.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 8:25 PM

I think some of these pictures may have been posted earlier, but I figured I'd post these for posterity's sake. Definitely a lot of good vibes coming from the council meeting.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 8:46 PM

That council meeting also showed a rendering of the Novus Corridor with some of the approved buildings in place alongside the tentative representations. To my knowledge, the second image with the rendering of ISTB-7 is the most up to date image we've seen, which is a major bummer as it's super underwhelming. No canopy, no "tunnel". Just typical ASU playing it safe.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest