HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 2:48 AM

One of the massive DIA projects is about to get underway....

http://kdvr.com/2018/05/23/1-5-billi...gin-next-week/

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
Screen shots of the new tunnel proposal at the bottom of Floyd Hill.

.. ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
One of the massive DIA projects is about to get underway....

http://kdvr.com/2018/05/23/1-5-billi...gin-next-week/
39... 39... 39... 39... new gates. Impressive.

I had to chuckle that Eric Ruble used year-old passenger numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
I have a present for the forum.

I recently came across a cache of ephemera from the 1994 opening ceremony of Denver's first light rail. I scanned it. Here you go.

Check out the mall shuttle!

Thanks for the awesome trip down memory lane!

That's quite the mall shuttle bus... Oh but those horsies; don't think they use horses anymore.

Denver just trying to keep up with D.C.

Photo credit: David Sachs/Denver Streetsblog

Electric Scooter-Share Arrived in Denver This Morning
May 25, 2018 By David Sachs
Quote:
Before dawn on Friday, Lime deployed nearly 500 electric scooters throughout Denver.

The first 30 minutes on the scooters, dubbed Lime-S, cost $1, and the price is 15 cents per minute after that. They max out at about 15 mph.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 8:52 PM

those old cop uniforms! haha everyones clothes are so baggy

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 1:10 PM
Robotic Construction

Media Play, I member, do you member?

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 3:10 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

They still had those buses in 2008 when I visited.

I think the 16th street mall is underappreciated, its some kickass urban design. Most cities still don't have spaces like it.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 3:28 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive
Electric Scooter-Share Arrived in Denver This Morning
My thoughts on scooters:

1. In theory I like them. I'm a huge fan of e-bikes, because e-bikes eliminate the hard work of cycling, making biking as easy as driving a car. Grandmas that will never get on a normal bikeshare bike could ride an e-bike and feel comfortable doing it. But if you're going to have e-bikes, why bother with the expense of pedals and gears? Scooters are a naturally cheaper version. So they make sense.

2. In practice, having ridden them around DC a few times, they are a LOT less sturdy than a bike. Every tiny bump on the pavement is a dangerous-feeling jostle. You have to be pretty confident in your balance to feel safe on one. Grandma isn't going to use it.

Ultimately I do think scooters have a niche, and I'm happy to see them permeate our cities. But because they're really not comfortable to ride, I don't see them as having nearly as high a ceiling as e-bikes. I could see e-bikes boosting bike mode share in US central cities up to European-like levels, but I can't see scooter mode share ever getting that high.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 2:02 AM

The side of the bus says: "Light Rail is Coming"

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 2:17 AM

^
Look closer. The "coming" is crossed out and the word "here" is written in a different font above. :-)

(It's more apparent in the printed version I scanned this from.)

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraShy View Post
The side of the bus says: "Light Rail is Coming"

Source

As they say; the more the merrier.

Quote:
My thoughts on scooters:
Always enjoy reading your experienced impressions on things.

Oh oh
Stalls, stops and breakdowns: Problems plague push for electric buses
MAY 20, 2018 By PAIGE ST. JOHN/LA Times
Quote:
But largely unbeknownst to the public, BYD's electric buses are contending with a record of poor performance and mechanical problems.

A Times investigation found its buses stalled on hills, required service calls much more frequently than older buses and had unpredictable driving ranges below advertised distances, which were impaired by the heat, the cold or the way drivers braked.
Hmm, So how pervasive is this?
Quote:
A federal testing center and transit agencies across the country logged driving ranges that were dozens of miles short of company claims, limiting the routes they can handle and requiring passengers to shuffle onto replacement buses when the batteries go low.
I hope RTD's Mall shuttles are having less problem with their BYD buses?

The article is somewhat extended but an interesting look into the (political) history of BYD including incentives (their factory is in L.A.).

A Proterra promotional but really cool video...
that our sister site in Salt Lake City featured some time ago.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 9:38 PM

So what is going on with I-70? Any work started yet?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 3:40 PM

I think they are still doing a bunch of "prep" work along 70. I am sure they will have an official "ground breaking" at some point this summer that will be advertised.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 3:34 AM

* Thanking this space for it's temporary placeholder status *

Image courtesy The FREE RIDE

The Free Ride brings 6-person shuttles to Denver
June 8, 2018 by Kate Tracy/BusinessDen
Quote:
The Free Ride, a New-York based startup that provides shuttles in six-person electric vehicles, is adding three vehicles in downtown Denver.

“We really wanted to be able to service a downtown area where there’s a lot going on, somewhere where there’s a walking culture, but also a place where someone would want a quick ride,” said Alyson Brown, chief marketing officer.
Never heard of this one?
Quote:
In 2011, James Mirras and Alex Esposito founded The Free Ride in New York as a way to transport New Yorkers around the Hamptons and alleviate parking issues... The electric cars are manufactured by General Electric Motors.
Why Denver?
Quote:
“We originally were founded as a beach shuttle, but it has since expanded to a downtown mobility solution,” Brown said. “We’re really looking to be a solution to that 1- to 2-mile gap.”

The Free Ride has hired 10 drivers in Denver that will operate the vehicles from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. every day, concentrating on most of downtown, including between Speer Boulevard and 20th Avenue, as well as up Broadway to Colfax Avenue. Riders can flag a driver to hitch a ride, or download the company’s app to request one.
Outside of the Right Coast, the Left Coast and Texas, it looks like Denver is the first landing spot in flyover country.

Last edited by TakeFive; Jun 8, 2018 at 5:46 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 7:48 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

TakeFive, I get we like to Denver megapost and banter, but that's way off topic.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 2:50 PM
ColoRADo

Yeah, that was nonsense.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 5:02 PM
Ground Scraper

I'm reporting you.
"When white people move out of a neighborhood, it's called white flight and it's racist. When white people move back to a neighborhood, it's called gentrification and it's racist. So, white people should just never move." - internet comment

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
The Free Ride brings 6-person shuttles to Denver
We have these too, but they have clearly not been a success here. One has been driving around right outside my office all the time for a year or two now, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone on it. I assume it is only a matter of time until it stops.

I'll be interested to hear if the Denver experience is any different.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 9:09 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Quote:
We have these too, but they have clearly not been a success here. One has been driving around right outside my office all the time for a year or two now, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone on it. I assume it is only a matter of time until it stops.

I'll be interested to hear if the Denver experience is any different.
The Denver Pavillions one putts along all day between 15th and 17th from what I gather. No one really rides until 5 or so.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post

As they say; the more the merrier.

Thanks for the welcome! Glad to be here. Have always loved buildings, and have been on the roof of both the WTC (1989) and Republic Plaza (1986).

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 9:00 AM

It was only fitting that I actually give transit a try...
... and I made it thru 4 days with no car.

Sunday started off at 6:30 a.m. when I walked four blocks from my hotel to the Silverthorne transit station where I caught the Summit Stage shuttle over to Frisco. From there I jumped on Bustang for the ride to DUS.

At DUS I walked down to the light rail station and caught the W Line out to the Taj Mahal. When I arrived back at DUS I walked over to the Milk Market to grab some grub.

After the rain storm passed I caught the H Line at 18th and Stout. At the end of the H Line at Florida I transferred to the R line up to Peoria where I caught the A Line back to DUS.

Next, I found Track 7 where I jumped on the B Line to Westminster. After returning I walked over to Track 1 for the return trip to the airport.

Impressions and feedback pending....

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 12:49 PM

How to get there from here...

I always tell my son that when you know what you're doing - or where you're going - then the task is easy peasy. But if you've never experienced something then the simplest of tasks can bring a grown man to his knees.

With that in mind I took a trial run to Sky Harbor to see if I could navigate the labyrinth of freeways and signs near the airport at 75 mph. Sure enough I missed a key (Google instructed) exit but went through the rest of the paces in more orderly fashion until I tried to return home where I circled the airport at least once among the confusion of various signs.

I left home at 4:50 in the morning and after reaching the '51' in about 10 minutes, only two stop signs slowed my trip to the East Economy Lot. If you had guessed that this was on the faaar end of Sky Harbor, you were correct. But after taking a couple of minutes to find a parking spot in Garage A it was a 20-yard walk to the Sky Train station.

Sky Train is an appropriate name as this puppy rises high to go up and over one of the airplane taxiways. What's nice is that one of those Bombardier trains comes by about every 3 minutes and it was a 3-minute ride to Terminal 4 which is the largest, busiest terminal and where Southwest Airlines flies out of. Ultimately I found a window seat nearer the back of the plane but it was nice... to just sit back and wait for the mountains to come into vision.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West