HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 4:19 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

...and Robert Venturi and Michael Lykoudis promote bad architecture. What else is new?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
It is. The average person is only familier with main land marks, though they did pick out some nice ones. What surprises me is that the average person likes the classic look, I've always thought I was in the minority.
I dunno... I'm an architecture student who's studied a LOT of modern arch theory & philosphy, and love it (modernism, modern regionalism, etc) and absolutely disdain any attempt to recreate historic architecture, particularly in the context of modern society & culture... yet I too love 'the classics' in their own context: (hopefully) well-preserved landmarks in our architectural heritage!

As far as liking the classic look; it's the architects who are in the minority (compared to their colleagues) - see the two names at the beg. of this post.

Last edited by zilfondel; Mar 25, 2007 at 4:25 AM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 11:42 PM
Do you like... Huey Lewis

^so... a rowhouse with brick walls that help with climate control, bay windows that let in a lot of light, and a pitched mansard roof that sheds snow and rain and allows for an extra story up top... is completely irrelevant to modern life?

what I can't stand about modernism is the arrogant assumption that pre-Bauhaus architecture was somehow NOT functional, and that the past has nothing to teach us.
"I'm exceedingly pro-growth, but I have to respectfully dissagree. Growth is not the holy grail, smart growth is. Uncontrolled, careless growth which ends up creating problems in the long run is called cancer." -Eigenwelt

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 2:16 AM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
Arguably, the WTC was more famous than the ESB, even before 9/11.
True. I'd bet the Two Towers would be A LOT higher on this list if 9/11 never happened, who knows, they could have even been number 1? Too bad America lets go of the past so quickly.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 7:55 PM

The AIA has updated their website for the 150 favorites. Now you can select your favorite 5 buildings from the list of 150 and there is a web vote of the top 5.

Fallingwater is as of now the most popular building in this web vote, followed by the Chrysler Building.

http://www.favoritearchitecture.org

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 2:31 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

This list is just out of control. There are real gems on here and real pieces of cr@p.

No John Hancock Center but the NYT times building makes it? And whats with the large number of baseball fields?

This does nothing but piss me off.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 3:13 AM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxstreetcar View Post
The AIA has updated their website for the 150 favorites. Now you can select your favorite 5 buildings from the list of 150 and there is a web vote of the top 5.

Fallingwater is as of now the most popular building in this web vote, followed by the Chrysler Building.

http://www.favoritearchitecture.org
Oh, so now architects can stack the vote.

Fallingwater is a good example. Beloved by architects, unknown by the guy on the street unless he reads architecture books.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 3:33 AM

here's your second favorite museum

oh shite! i didn't even realize hotel del coronado was on the list. it is a beautiful structure, on perhaps one of the most beautiful places i've been to in the US. great list
Bushwell: Could we talk about something else?
"simpson safari", season 12, episode 265

Last edited by rdm; Apr 16, 2007 at 3:39 AM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 4:37 AM
Commercial Real Estate

The Empire State Building (showing my age).

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
This list is just out of control. There are real gems on here and real pieces of cr@p.

No John Hancock Center but the NYT times building makes it? And whats with the large number of baseball fields?

This does nothing but piss me off.

I don't think you should let it get you down. It's merely a representation of what the general public likes. Naturally everyone will agree with some and not with others. I do agree with you about the John Hancock building though; Chicago's greatest skyscraper would be high on my personal list. Right below the devine NY Times Tower.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxstreetcar View Post
Here's the part thats been missing, these are the buildings nominated by architects but didn't make it in the top 150...

98 Buildings That Didn't Make The Cut
Burton Barr Library/Phoenix Public Library, Phoenix, AZ
Sandra Day O'Connor United States Court House - Phoenix, AZ
University of Phoenix Stadium (Arizona Cardinals Stadium) - Glendale, AZ
I wonder who nominated the buildings. These do NOT belong on any such list. The Court House in particular is a horrible building. Burton Barr Library is one of my favorite local buildings, but nowhere near the level of any of the libraries on the actual list. And what kind of architect nominates a stadium? Someone over at HOK is high-fiving himself...

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 6:35 AM
Future God

Isn't the Vietnam Veterans Memorial literally just a wall?

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 7:04 AM

L.A.'s Union Station and Hollywood Bowl are nice, but I think that the Argyle Hotel and Bullocks Wilshire are much more beautiful examples of the architecture in L.A.

And on a side note, where on that list is the Pittsburgh Cathedral of Learning? That building is gorgeous.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 5:03 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInTheZone View Post
^so... a rowhouse with brick walls that help with climate control, bay windows that let in a lot of light, and a pitched mansard roof that sheds snow and rain and allows for an extra story up top... is completely irrelevant to modern life?

what I can't stand about modernism is the arrogant assumption that pre-Bauhaus architecture was somehow NOT functional, and that the past has nothing to teach us.
A brick house may help to regulate a more even temperature throughout the day, but it is a bad choice from an energy standpoint it doesn't hold up to stick build with proper fiberglass insulation. The R value of brick per inch is only 0.44 Stick built with a 6 inch exterior stud will be approximately R-30

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 7:21 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
A brick house may help to regulate a more even temperature throughout the day, but it is a bad choice from an energy standpoint it doesn't hold up to stick build with proper fiberglass insulation. The R value of brick per inch is only 0.44 Stick built with a 6 inch exterior stud will be approximately R-30
Oh, well then. Thanks for clearing that up.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jul 15, 2007, 1:01 AM
Chicago 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The Empire State, it's always been my favorite, so I owe it a little tribute...here's to Number 1!

You really are NYguy.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture