HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
china has been ruined...in 20 years it went from a rich tapestry of culture and built environment to an endless sea of concrete slabs no different than every developing nation from brazil to bangladesh.
No, it was the forty years of communism before this and the cultural revolution that destroyed China's culture. China now is vibrant, exciting and rediscovering itself. If you think the concrete slabs are dull you should go and find a suburb of '60s Chinese (more likely Soviet) architecture. Luckily these are being bulldozed at an unbelievable rate.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
Miami went from more of a the same to a whole bunch more of the same, while Austin completely changed itself and its look.
This is what I don't get. There were some condos along Brickell's south side, but other than that there was nothing remotely similar to what we have now.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAtlantisMiami View Post

From the Miami Discussion thread. Change over the past 6 years!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
Yes but Miami had a better skyline than Austin to start. Change can be measured in a number of ways, but to me, Austin wins. Miami went from more of a the same to a whole bunch more of the same, while Austin completely changed itself and its look. Still I think Miami is a close 2nd and definitely understand many people choosing Miami.

Austin has built quite a bit this decade. Yet for all of its construction, Austin still does not have what can be considered an impressive skyline.

Miami exploded! To see it in 1999 and to see it now is to see a different city. It went from having only 4 buildings at 500 ft or above pre-2000 to 36 now. 36! It wasn't even in the top 15 and now has the 3rd largest skyline in the nation. This was already easily decided months ago. It's not a matter of opinion. It is Miami, without question. Austin doesn't enter into the picture.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobchbud1 View Post
From the Miami Discussion thread. Change over the past 6 years!
Now that's just awesome

Miami, and Austin in my view like others, are the ones that have changed the most.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 10:47 AM
don't *meddle*...

yeah, miami has warm weather and a good skyline now - good bye NY, i'm moving! (j/k )

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 2:04 PM

While not in Miami's league for skyline booming, Denver has had three of its tallest ten built since 2005.

#4 - Four Seasons, 2010
#8 - Hyatt Regency, 2005
#9 - Spire, 2009

These three are also close together near the Convention Center, a few blocks southwest of the main 17th Street bunch. Thus, Denver has a new little cluster to broaden its skyline.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 3:01 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Austin has built quite a bit this decade. Yet for all of its construction, Austin still does not have what can be considered an impressive skyline.

Miami exploded! To see it in 1999 and to see it now is to see a different city. It went from having only 4 buildings at 500 ft or above pre-2000 to 36 now. 36! It wasn't even in the top 15 and now has the 3rd largest skyline in the nation. This was already easily decided months ago. It's not a matter of opinion. It is Miami, without question. Austin doesn't enter into the picture.
From some angles, I think Austin has an impressive skyline. If you're looking at it from across the river near the Hyatt Regency, it's impressive. But it's still not where it should be for such a large city. It's getting there, though.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 3:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:

You entitled to your opinion but not your facts: the big boys still reign

from emporis

2000-2009 ( >500 ft):
New York City: 36 + 13 U.C. = 49
Chicago: 29 + 5 U.C. = 34
Miami: 21 + 4 U.C. = 25
Las Vegas: 6 + 7 U.C. = 13
Sunny Isles Beach: 8 + 1 U.C. = 9
Atlanta: 7 + 1 U.C. = 8
Houston: 4 + 1 U.C. = 5
Jersey City: 4
Austin: 2 + 1 U.C. = 3
Seattle: 2 + 1 U.C. = 3
Charlotte: 1 + 2 U.C. = 3
Atlantic City: 1 + 2 U.C. = 3
Miami Beach: 2
Philadelphia: 2
San Francisco: 2
Boston: 2
Mobile: 1
Omaha: 1
St. Louis: 1
Raleigh: 1
Virginia Beach: 1
Hallandale Beach: 1
Los Angeles: 1 U.C.
Cincinnati: 1 U.C.
Denver: 1 U.C.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 4:43 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacks View Post
No, it was the forty years of communism before this and the cultural revolution that destroyed China's culture. China now is vibrant, exciting and rediscovering itself. If you think the concrete slabs are dull you should go and find a suburb of '60s Chinese (more likely Soviet) architecture. Luckily these are being bulldozed at an unbelievable rate.
they are flattening hutong in beijing at a far greater rate today than they were in the 60's....china may be exciting to some but to me its losing its soul.....china isnt rediscovering itself, its reinventing itself.....and it seems to be coming out the other side no different than any other development crazed boom market....

to me where they came from is way more interesting than where they are going....a square kilometer of traditional housing in central beijing, home to thousands of people living a traditional lifestyle has far more vibrancy and excitement than the massive titanium covered egg floating in a huge reflecting pool that replaced it.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post

from emporis

2000-2009 ( >500 ft):
New York City: 36 + 13 U.C. = 49
Chicago: 29 + 5 U.C. = 34
Miami: 21 + 4 U.C. = 25
Las Vegas: 6 + 7 U.C. = 13
Sunny Isles Beach: 8 + 1 U.C. = 9
Atlanta: 7 + 1 U.C. = 8
Houston: 4 + 1 U.C. = 5
Jersey City: 4
Austin: 2 + 1 U.C. = 3
Seattle: 2 + 1 U.C. = 3
Charlotte: 1 + 2 U.C. = 3
Atlantic City: 1 + 2 U.C. = 3
Miami Beach: 2
Philadelphia: 2
San Francisco: 2
Boston: 2
Mobile: 1
Omaha: 1
St. Louis: 1
Raleigh: 1
Virginia Beach: 1
Hallandale Beach: 1
Los Angeles: 1 U.C.
Cincinnati: 1 U.C.
Denver: 1 U.C.
Miami + Miami Beach + Sunny Isles = 36. When Miamians say "Miami" they are generally referring to the County not the tiny City.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 3:29 PM
Stay Thirsty.

Since no one has posted Denver yet I'll do it here.

This is actually a timelapse from 2006 to 1/2010, so it's missing the construction of a few buildings. The Hyatt was finished in early 2006 and is at the extreme far right of the skyline (tallest building on right when the lapse starts, almost topped off). Also, One Lincoln Park, a 32 story, 368-foot condo, is on the other side of the skyline. Pretend ALL the 10-20 story buildings in the foreground of the pano aren't there in 2000, (that's the Union Station/LoDo/Central Platte Valley districts) and that's what was built in the 00's in Denver. No too shabby, but not like Miami or Chicago or Austin either.

Compilation from Okayyou, pics from rds70.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 3:55 PM

Quote:
As dave8721 already posted, Miami's 36 number includes Sunny Isles Beach and Miami Beach. Even so, downtown Miami's 25 still represents the most dramatic change to a skyline. That's what this thread is about. No one is threatening your "big boys".

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 4:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
As dave8721 already posted, Miami's 36 number includes Sunny Isles Beach and Miami Beach. Even so, downtown Miami's 25 still represents the most dramatic change to a skyline. That's what this thread is about. No one is threatening your "big boys".
Thread Title: Cities Whose Skylines Have Changed the Most This Decade
Reload this Page Reply to Thread

Once again NYC 49 500 plus
Chicago 34 500 plus

add to the fact that many of the building built in those 2 have been substantially taller than anything in Miami, or not in Miami

and once again the facts do not gel with your contention

Miami had a hell of a run, but it is telling that the 2 skyscraper heavyweights can out do it in quantity, quality and height and people act with a collective ....feh

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 5:21 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ yes NYC and chicago may have added more 500+ footers to their skylines than miami, but that doesn't mean that their skylines changed more. NYC and chicago already had massive, gargantuan skylines when the last decade started, whereas miami was a mid-level skyline at best. miami then went on a tear and entered the big leagues of american skylines while NYC and chicago just kept doing what they do best.

or put another way, what would change a person's financial situation more, giving $100,000 dollars to joe six-pack middle class dude, or giving $150,000 to a multi-millionaire? i don't care if the millionaire was given more money, the fact is that the 100 Gs is gonna have a FAR greater impact and change to the life of the middle class dude.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 10, 2010 at 6:06 PM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 5:48 PM

^ you really put that into perspective Steely!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 6:17 PM

Calgary has changed quite significantly for a small city (only a million), we have added about 20 new highrises in the last 10 years.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Thread Title: Cities Whose Skylines Have Changed the Most This Decade
Reload this Page Reply to Thread

Once again NYC 49 500 plus
Chicago 34 500 plus

add to the fact that many of the building built in those 2 have been substantially taller than anything in Miami, or not in Miami

and once again the facts do not gel with your contention

Miami had a hell of a run, but it is telling that the 2 skyscraper heavyweights can out do it in quantity, quality and height and people act with a collective ....feh
Do you not get it? No one is disputing NYC or Chicago's claims to skyscraper capital. Miami is not in their league by a long shot. That's not the issue at hand. NYC and Chicago have no place in this thread. Quit being an idiot.

Steely Dan explains it perfectly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ yes NYC and chicago may have added more 500+ footers to their skylines than miami, but that doesn't mean that their skylines changed more. NYC and chicago already had massive, gargantuan skylines when the last decade started, whereas miami was a mid-level skyline at best. miami then went on a tear and entered the big leagues of american skylines while NYC and chicago just kept doing what they do best.

or put another way, what would change a person's financial situation more, giving $100,000 dollars to joe six-pack middle class dude, or giving $150,000 to a multi-millionaire? i don't care if the millionaire was given more money, the fact is that the 100 Gs is gonna have a FAR greater impact and change to the life of the middle class dude.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 12:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Calgary has changed quite significantly for a small city (only a million), we have added about 20 new highrises in the last 10 years.
Well, I wouldn't exactly call Calgary a "small" city.

77 responses in this thread before a canuck finally spoke up. It's about bloody time! Don't make me git all Canadian on yo asses and.......say something vaguely impolite. I'm not exactly sure why we got excluded but it hardly seems fair given the number of Canadians at this site and the growth our cities have undergone in the past decade. Vancouver got a new tallest this decade while Calgary's is underway. I expect Toronto's skyscraper development is second only to Miami's this past decade (and not by much!) since the city has twenty-one buildings over 500 feet tall under construction or built in the last decade.

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Mar 11, 2010 at 12:52 AM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
Well, I wouldn't exactly call Calgary a "small" city.

77 responses in this thread before a canuck finally spoke up. It's about bloody time! Don't make me git all Canadian on yo asses and.......say something vaguely impolite. I'm not exactly sure why we got excluded but it hardly seems fair given the number of Canadians at this site and the growth our cities have undergone in the past decade. Vancouver got a new tallest this decade while Calgary's is underway. I expect Toronto's skyscraper development is second only to Miami's this past decade (and not by much!) since the city has twenty-one buildings over 500 feet tall under construction or built in the last decade.
Calgary was mentioned in the 3rd post.

And relative to most of the other cities mentioned in this thread, Calgary is small. In Canada we are the 4th biggest (3rd if you exclude the metro)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture