HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 7:17 PM

Manitoba University Developments

It might be a good idea to create a thread based on developments on Manitoba 3 Universities (Brandon, Winnipeg and Manitoba)

Something to watch over is any news on the former Southwood Golf Course that the University of Manitoba bought a few years ago.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 4:23 AM

I don't like the sounds of this:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...y-changes.html

I also don't like the photo of the president. Looks smug while destroying the University's integrity.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 6:26 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post

I also don't like the photo of the president. Looks smug while destroying the University's integrity.
I don't like the sounds of that either.

No slight against U of M, but it struggles to make strides in university rankings (though we should probably only take MacLeans rankings with a grain of salt) but I fail to see how this will improve the university. Like I said, I don't like it!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 6:45 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
I don't like the sounds of that either.

No slight against U of M, but it struggles to make strides in university rankings (though we should probably only take MacLeans rankings with a grain of salt) but I fail to see how this will improve the university. Like I said, I don't like it!
University with stadium, in suburbia, and not in a central transit location, vs an University without stadium, in Downtown and about as centralized as it gets. One expands and one contracts...

Good luck U of M...

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 7:20 AM

Quote:

It should be interesting to follow this story over the coming months/years. It doesn't really sound as though they're actually cutting faculties, but merging similar ones for the sake of efficiency/reducing administrative duplication. But it's unclear...

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 12:58 PM

The problem is he was talking about merging faculties that really shouldn't be merging to save on costs. Better to have better ability to attain proper education, than to save a little on tuition. Things like medical degrees are very specific and should in no way be merged. I don't think any faculty should be merged. That just sounds inappropriate, especially for a University of this stature.
I know one thing, my girlfriend is really thinking of going to U of W for multiple reasons and this adds to the list.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 1:38 PM

Quote:

UW has been going in the opposite direction for sure. In the early 1990s, there were 2 faculties at UW - Faculty of Arts and Sciences and Faculty of Theology each with one Dean. Now, faculties are multiplying: 1) Arts, 2) Science, 3) Education, 4) Kinesiology and Applied Health (starting next year), 5) Business and Economics, 6) Theology, not to mention the addition of 2 nebulous 'colleges' -- 7) The Global College and the 8) Richardson College for the Environment. Each Faculty has a Dean, and usually an Associate Dean, plus an array of administrative staff. The 'Colleges' each have a "Principal" (analogous to a Dean) plus staff. The UW went from having one of the smallest administrative structures to having the amongst the largest in Canada.

I am not sure this necessarily serves students better given that traditional majors (departments) are simply reorganized under an expanding administrative structure. I imagine some day, the UW may contract the number of faculties to save some dough, but this will not necessarily change the student experience or the number of available majors.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 1:44 PM
Heart of the Continent

The university isn't shrinking, and the reality is, it doesn't currently have enough money to do what it needs to do. If the university president thinks that they can save money by reducing administratin, then good. I don't see why this should have a negative affect on performance. If anything, it should be positive, as it will free up money for other things.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 1:55 PM

News
Garbonzo's Pizza Pub & Starbucks at UWinnipeg

January 16, 2012

WINNIPEG, MB –New culinary favourite and an additional Canad Inns destination Garbonzo's Pizza Pub is now open on The University of Winnipeg campus located in the AnX - where Italian meets English pub for pizza and a pint. Joining the pizza pub in the AnX is the highly anticipated Starbucks that will add a new ‘buzz’, and more choices on campus.

“We are pleased to offer more food options for our students, faculty and staff,” said UWinnipeg President and Vice-Chancellor Dr. Lloyd Axworthy. “It is also great for employing some of our students that make going to classes, studying and working more convenient. These added services contribute to downtown life and a more vibrant community.”

In recent months, the UWinnipeg campus has welcomed two other eateries of diverse repertoire of fine food including Stella's Café and Bakery (Buhler Centre) and UWinnipeg's award-winning Diversity Food Services’ Elements - The Restaurant (Richardson College for the Environment and Science Complex).

The AnX, located at 471 Portage Avenue, is already home to The University of Winnipeg Bookstore and will soon feature UWinnipeg’s English Language Program and a range of services including Powerland Computers with an MTS Connect store. Access into the building is available directly from Portage Avenue, as well as from Balmoral & Colony streets. Located on the west side of the AnX is the Balmoral Transit Station with access to eight routes. The grand opening of the AnX will be in February.

Hours of operation
Garbonzo's Pizza Pub
Monday - Wednesday 11:00am - 1:00am
Thursday - Saturday 11:00am - 2:00am
Sunday - Noon - Midnight

Starbucks
Monday - Friday 6:30am - 9:30pm
Saturday - 8:00am - 8:00pm
Sunday - 8:00am - 6:00pm

MEDIA CONTACT
Naniece Ibrahim, Communications Officer, The University of Winnipeg
P: 204.988.7130, E: n.ibrahim@uwinnipeg.ca

More News

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
The university isn't shrinking, and the reality is, it doesn't currently have enough money to do what it needs to do. If the university president thinks that they can save money by reducing administratin, then good. I don't see why this should have a negative affect on performance. If anything, it should be positive, as it will free up money for other things.
Maybe he should start by reducing his pay cheque from 500 000 a year. This is ignorance talking though. I have no idea how to run a University. The thing is I don't understand how the U of M can be struggling so much when other Universities across the country are Flourishing.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 4:28 PM
Heart of the Continent

Many universities are struggling, not just the U of M. The tuition freeze didn't help them in the money front though. Regardless, finding efficiency is never a bad thing.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 5:17 PM

Regarding the faculity size decrease at the U of M, in case any of you would like to hear what the President himself says, here is the offical email:
Quote:
Dear Students,

For almost 135 years, the University of Manitoba has been shaping academic, business and community leaders, enhancing our community and conducting research that changes the world.

Throughout our history, we have grown and evolved through a constant process of rethinking, re-evaluating and reassessing where we are, where we want to be and how we’ll get there.

Many members of the University of Manitoba community have heard me refer to the complex academic structure that exists here. Currently, we have 20 faculties and schools and 78 departments delivering programs to serve over 27,000 students. By comparison, the University of Toronto has the same number of faculties and schools, and only 14 additional departments, to serve 72,000 students. Almost 30,000 students at the University of Calgary are served by 13 faculties and schools encompassing 70 departments. At McMaster University, programs are delivered to its 27,000 students through 6 faculties and 49 departments. In fact, based on available data, no other medical-doctoral institution of our size and scope in Canada has as many free-standing faculties and schools or departments as we do.

I believe that this overly elaborated academic structure impedes our academic work in at least three important ways.

1. It affects academic planning and decision making because academic leaders – especially deans and directors – are more removed from these processes than they should be. Put simply, this group is too large to bring together effectively on these and other matters.

2. This structure results in the inefficient use of our most precious resource, namely, our people, who should have the opportunity to use their skills more creatively to advance our learning, discovery and engagement missions.

3. Most importantly, the need to navigate within our highly articulated structure hinders progress on our Strategic Planning Framework priorities, notably, our commitment to providing an outstanding student experience and to enhancing our teaching and research programs in areas of strength and/or strategic importance to our province and nation. Students require more flexible program and course selection, and simpler academic regulations to achieve their educational and career goals; faculty, in turn, require greater opportunities for inter- and multi-disciplinary collaboration to develop and advance their teaching and research programs.

I want to begin an important conversation within the University of Manitoba community about how we move forward and enhance our commitment to our students, our faculty and staff, and to the community we serve. It is my vision to see the University of Manitoba’s academic structure better reflect our size and scope, enhancing rather than impeding our ability to deliver on our mandate.

When the University of Manitoba’s Strategic Planning Framework was adopted, I committed to ensuring that it would guide the decisions we make together and that we would use it to pursue our ultimate objective of achieving excellence. Initiatives like ROSE and OARs have been focused on transforming our organizational infrastructure and approaches, in order to improve the way the university conducts its work. It is now time to move forward with a plan to simplify and improve our university’s academic structure, so that we can more effectively achieve our strategic vision.

Some work designed to address our current academic structure is already underway. Late last year, we began a process where deans and directors of faculties and schools with natural affinities of various sorts began working in clusters to explore some new avenues of collaboration and interaction. Through this process, work on new cross-faculty academic programming, the sharing of administrative resources and facilities, and collaborative outreach activity has already begun. It has shown us that more and closer ties among units can be beneficial - to students, faculty and staff and to our community at large.

This cluster mechanism, I believe, can serve as a useful starting point in the development of a plan to simplify and improve our academic structure. To this end, I have asked Dr. Joanne Keselman, Vice President (Academic) and Provost, to work with deans and directors through the cluster groups and they, in turn, with their faculty, staff, students, alumni and external stakeholders, to identify viable options for reducing the number of faculties and schools from the current total of 20 to a number closer to the national average of 13 by 2017.

Based on discussions to date, it is clear that there are significant opportunities to improve our academic structure in the health sciences area. The move to interprofessional education and an increasing emphasis on multi-disciplinary research teams, combined with the need to address common issues including clinical education and program accreditation, provide compelling reasons to proceed with this cluster as a first step in the development of a plan. To this end, Dr. Keselman will work with the health sciences cluster to develop a proposal or set of options by December 2012 for consideration by our governing bodies. An interim report on this work will be provided in the spring of 2012.

It is clear that other opportunities exist to improve our academic structure. I encourage faculties or departments that see possibilities where closer relationships among themselves would be beneficial to bring their ideas forward for discussion.

We remain committed, as the only medical-doctoral institution in Manitoba, to contributing to our communities’ and our province’s cultural, social and economic well-being. This process will enhance our ability to meet the needs of our students, our faculty and our community as a whole.

We want this change to be invigorating and exciting. We want it to be inclusive, and will engage the University of Manitoba in discussions about how this goal will be achieved. Finally, we will only move forward where it makes sense, and proposals will be advanced, discussed, improved and approved through the University of Manitoba’s collegial governance processes.

This institution will soon be 135 years old. We respect and honour our traditions but must adapt them to ensure a vibrant and prosperous future for the much loved University of Manitoba, its staff and students and the community it serves.

David
As for the University not having enough funds to do what it needs to, I full disagree with the tuition freeze. The quality of teaching and facilities goes down when Universities can't keep up with costs, and tuition freezes force the University to try and recover costs elsewhere, which does not benefit students. However, the student union would never tell you this.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 6:43 PM

When put out by the President himself it makes much more sense than when revealed through the media. At least then the facts are not distorted and some explanations are made as to how and why the new systems will work better.

I especially appreciate the comparison to other Institutions throughout the country. The decreasing of faculties doesn't seem so ludicrous now that it has been shown that it is far above the national average.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 6:12 PM

Public Display Sessions for a Pedestrain Link over the Red River to the University of Manitoba

Today is the last day (UofM Event Centre 100-1 Research Road, 4-8pm)

http://www.winnipeg.ca/interhom/pdfs...yer_biling.pdf

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/activetransport

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
Public Display Sessions for a Pedestrain Link over the Red River to the University of Manitoba

Today is the last day (UofM Event Centre 100-1 Research Road, 4-8pm)

http://www.winnipeg.ca/interhom/pdfs...yer_biling.pdf

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/activetransport
I have a feeling that as this process moves forward, the project will be halted in it's tracks by massive public outcry from area residents. The plan so far really doesn't address parking in any way. Residents in Riel/Riverpointe/Normand Park are not going to stand by idly as their neighbourhood is flooded with students everyday looking to evade U of M parking fees. Will be fun to follow...

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 6:34 PM

One of options for a river crossing is a Gonaola Lift!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 6:57 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
One of options for a river crossing is a Gonaola Lift!
Um yeah, I'd like to ride across with my bike...

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 6:58 PM

The Gondola doesn't seem right. Too many restrictions/limitations.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
I have a feeling that as this process moves forward, the project will be halted in it's tracks by massive public outcry from area residents. The plan so far really doesn't address parking in any way. Residents in Riel/Riverpointe/Normand Park are not going to stand by idly as their neighbourhood is flooded with students everyday looking to evade U of M parking fees. Will be fun to follow...
Seems to me that 'resident only' parking passes and 1hr parking restrictions during the daytime hours would work. Not to mention in the areas around the stadium too.

Or the residents could just key the student's cars like mine got keyed near Seven Oaks Hospital in a neighbourhood with NO parking restrictions of any kind listed.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
There is already a neighbourhood south of the university and north of the river. There is a one hour parking restriction. The length of the walk from this neighbourhood to most of the main campus buildings is already not worth it for most students to save a few dollars on an hour parking.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan