HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 5:22 PM
BANNED

OAKLAND, CA | Encinal Tower (1938 Broadway) | 715 FT / 218 M | 56 FLOORS

Quote:
Friday, September 5, 2008
Highrise hopes in Oakland
Soaring tower eyed
San Francisco Business Times - by Blanca Torres

East Bay developer Peter Wang is back for round two of trying to develop the tallest building in Oakland.

After withdrawing a previous application to build a 63-story tower, Wang’s firm, Encinal Jackson, submitted an application to build a 56-story tower rising to 715 feet at 1938 Broadway. The building would dwarf the city’s current tallest structure, the Ordway Building at 1 Kaiser Plaza, by more than 300 feet.

“(Oakland) does not have a landmark on its city-scape and that creates a lack of identity,” Wang said. “The city of Oakland deserves to have a very beautiful building like this.”

The proposed tower would contain 1.5 million square feet of space, including 790,000 square feet of office, 320,000 square feet of parking, 75,000 square feet of retail and 220 residential units.

The building, designed by global architecture firm Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, features a modern, glass-lined cylindrical shape with a section that curves down one side resembling a roll of fabric unraveling. Wang said he withdrew the previous application because he did not like the 63-story building’s design.

“The intent of this building is to be a signature building to bring people back downtown and generate excitement,” said Mike Pfeffer, the architect and project manager for the building. “If and when this gets built and if it’s successful, they’ll be many buildings of this type in the area.”

Wang’s original proposal was submitted under the 10K Plan, former Oakland Mayor Jerry Brown’s initiative to bring 10,000 new residents to downtown. Now, the project could end up as part of a surge of residential building in the city’s Uptown neighborhood.

Forest City completed its 665-unit Uptown rental project and has plans to add another 350 residential units in the next two years. Avant Housing, a partnership between San Francisco firms AGI Capital and TMG Partners, is looking to build up to 200 housing units, a 650-car parking garage, a full-service grocery store and a 150-room hotel at Telegraph Avenue and 21st Street.

The area is known for its cultural elements, including a variety of restaurants and the Fox Theater, a historic performance venue that is undergoing renovation. It also has access to BART and is close to Lake Merritt and the city’s downtown.

The Encinal site is a two-acre parcel on Broadway between 19th and 20th streets and has two existing buildings. One is a one-story structure that will be torn down; the other, the Tapscott Building, is a historic four-story structure that Wang will renovate and use for retail space.

Encinal Jackson submitted its application in July. Heather Klein, a planner with the city of Oakland, said it could take another year to receive entitlements. Wang said his timing on the project will also depend on money.

“From a location standpoint, it’s a neighborhood that is very much on the upswing and it’s close to transportation,” said Larry Westland, a broker with TRI Commercial in Oakland. “But, it would be very challenging to find financing for a project like that the way the market is right now.”

Encinal Jackson is holding an open house to answer questions about the project at 6 p.m. Monday, Sept. 8, at the Oakland Marriott.

btorres@bizjournals.com / (415) 288-4960
SOURCE: http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...ml?t=printable

Last edited by BTinSF; Sep 5, 2008 at 7:50 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 5:35 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Not a bad location for a tall building. I wish I could see a rendering. I tried a quick search at SOM and on Google, but no dice.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 5:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
I tried a quick search at SOM and on Google, but no dice.
I tried too. Anyone looking at the thread is invited to join the search.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 7:20 PM
Green Berniecrat

Nice. Is it 715' or 751'? The thread title seems to contradict the article.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 7:27 PM
Here we stAy

Some one has to go to that open house and snag a rendering.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 7:39 PM
Sonoma Strong

uh, i need a rendering

good news for oaktown tho

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 7:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminiscence View Post
Nice. Is it 715' or 751'? The thread title seems to contradict the article.
715. My typo but I can't fix it--a mod will have to do it. The height in meters is correct, though, I think.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 12:55 AM
BANNED

Well, folks, I finally got my copy of the BizTimes print edition and they have a rendering (lower right corner of the front page if pass a copy in a rack somewhere.

It's HAWT! Sleek, oval, criss-crossed beams on the skin a la the Hancock Building but somewhat random. Gotta find one I can post.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 1:18 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Take a picture of the picture in the magazine. I'm that desperate!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 2:22 AM
BANNED

OK--not the greatest picture even but it'll give you an idea:

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 2:58 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Wow! SOM is on a serious roll right now. They're a little enamored of the external lattice texture, but it all works. Everything I've seen from them lately is just stunning.

Thanks BT!!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 5:45 AM

If built, I would say this would be the most visually radical skyscraper in the bay area. I am really rooting for this one. The base of the tower reminds me of "The Bow" going up in Calgary.

That now makes 5 office towers now proposed in Downtown Oakland. These two are also a SOM design http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=152989

Last edited by San Frangelino; Sep 6, 2008 at 5:57 AM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 6:28 AM
Green Berniecrat

Oh. My. God. Build it, build it now, please!

I agree with Frangelino all the way, this would definitly stand out from the rest of the surrounding towers. San Fran might even need to take a look at this to concider. Thanks for that BT.

Last edited by Reminiscence; Sep 6, 2008 at 8:46 PM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 2:51 PM

the best part about it is that based on its height, that outer skin will pull away around the height of the surrounding buildings, causing the portion above the rest of the skyline to sort of be "unsheathed"

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 7:35 PM
Pizza Pizza

YAAAAAAAY finally oakland is getting some action! this is awesome. bay area is movin on UP!!!!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 8:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminiscence View Post
San Fran might even need to take a look at this c
Hah! IF Mr. Wang can get the financing (big if), the main reason I think this could actually get built as pictured is because it is NOT in San Francisco. Over here, the planners and "neighborhood activists" and other NIMBYs would eat it alive. It would end being redesigned by Heller-Manus as a beige precast refrigerator with bay windows (and be no more than 450 ft tall).

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 8:32 PM
Here we stAy

Looks sharp. Oakland's tired of being ignored!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 8:59 PM
Go Saxons!!

Wow, nice looking tower!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 4:31 AM

Yeah I have the whole set of rendering at my office, wish I could share them.
Downtown Oakland is doing great right now, no slowdown in retail interest. about 150 businesses have moved downtown in the past 5 years, taking up about 350,000 sq. feet. I am glad its starting to turn the corner.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Hah! IF Mr. Wang can get the financing (big if), the main reason I think this could actually get built as pictured is because it is NOT in San Francisco. Over here, the planners and "neighborhood activists" and other NIMBYs would eat it alive. It would end being redesigned by Heller-Manus as a beige precast refrigerator with bay windows (and be no more than 450 ft tall).
I wouldn't get your hopes up yet for Oakland either. The "process" there can be just as crazy and cumbersome as SF, just in slightly different ways. This thing is a looooooong way from approval. The article says is "could take another year to receive entitlements" - that seems extremely optomistic to me for such a tall building. Two years, minimum, and hopefully the project isn't watered down too much.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive