HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 8:41 PM

As a Philadelphian, I find this topic amusing. With its 15 foot wide row houses and shallow 50 foot deep lots, Philly simply does not have the floor plans necessary to attract chain retailers outside of Center City. As a result, you can walk down two of our trendiest corridors -- Frankford Ave and East Passyunk -- and it's one interesting independent retailer after another with no national chains in sight. Starbucks does not exist north of Vine Street, despite there being a number of trendy neighborhoods. Every coffee shop in Fishtown, Northern Liberties, Fairmount and Brewerytown is locally based.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 5:42 PM

^^They'd be there if they wanted to be there and the lot sizes wouldn't stop them in any way. I can think of any number of narrow, deep buildings in SF that are Starbuck's or the local version, Peet's as well as many independents. It is also possible to combine buildings or even , if permitted, tear them down and combine lots and build new. But you seem to be saying there are no surface parking lots in these areas because those are most likely to become larger-format formula retail venues. They simply replace the surface parking with lower level parking and put their building above it.

However, many of these stores have demographic criteria as to where they want to put stores and sometimes those criteria don't seem to make a lot of sense to outsiders.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Canadians have suggested that we need a ton of Shoppers Drug Marts. That said, many will be put off when the Hard Rock cafe, a 39 year Yonge Street fixture, is converted into a Shoppers Drug Mart.
I hadnt even heard that. They already have two Shoppers literally across the street. One in the basement of 10 Dundas East, and one in the Eaton Centre.

Whats happening to the flagship HMV. I went a few weeks ago to try and use some old gift cards I had found, and they wouldnt take them.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkfood View Post
As a Philadelphian, I find this topic amusing. With its 15 foot wide row houses and shallow 50 foot deep lots, Philly simply does not have the floor plans necessary to attract chain retailers outside of Center City.
750 square feet is more than large enough for many national or international retailers, many of which have small format stores.

Last edited by NorthernDancer; May 1, 2017 at 12:33 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions