HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 9:51 PM

^^LMAO to the last three posts.

When I took the picture earlier I almost took a picture of the Brewery to show you that even it looks better than this.

I just really hope 5552 turns out nicely so this neighbourhood can have some of its architectural reputation back.

One thing I noticed was a new building being put up on the same block as this but down on Gottigen/Novelea. Is it safe to assume it is a typical three storey apartment building?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartmouthian View Post
looks AWFUL. what a total shitfest of styles randomly stuck together.
Agreed, sadly.The end product looks a lot worse than what I expected during construction. What you described seems to be the trend these days though. This reminds me of the Best Western in Burnside; in fact, they could have been designed by the same person:

I don't know what these designers are thinking. Those particular materials never look good. We are afflicted with ugly building syndrome again.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 12:20 AM

This would not be so bad if not for the top 2 floors and the covered driveway, or whatever you want to call that.

I feel like they were really close to having an attractive building, and they screwed it up.....

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 3:19 AM

What the crap is that? I know it's a building, but built for what, storing grain? It looks like a grain Silo, with delusions of grandeur.

go dogs go!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 4:36 AM

I'm all for colour in buildings, but.. seriously. That does not work. At all.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
I'm all for colour in buildings, but.. seriously. That does not work. At all.
Yes... green metal roofing needs to be banned. And a brand new building with painted concrete?! That's just criminal.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 3:36 PM
Salty Town

HRM will not put guidelines on design so this is what we end up with. It is unfortunate because a lot of these cheap buildings are in prime locations. To use quality materials it would likely cost ~20% more. Perhaps a developer will come along someday and realize that if you add 20% to the cost of materials it shows and you will add ~20% to the value of your building.

Maybe finishing materials can be regulated. No concrete block exterior cladding or fake stone panels that will blow off in the wind.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 5:02 PM

This thing is nasty! And should get an award for being so horrible. I can't recall anything else in the city built in my lifetime that looks worse then this.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 5:46 PM

Like everyone else I also say this building should not of been built especially with the green stuff on top.

I'm just glad its short enough that I can't be seen for more than a block from the site.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 9:07 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It could look worse I guess but I think that would take some real skill and effort on the part of the architect. This is an ugly building.

The balconies are actually kind of interesting but most of the rest is hideous. Nothing matches anything else, the roof is just ugly and cheap, and the ground floor is really awkward.

At least it's on a side street...

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 9:36 PM

I drove past the place earlier today and the color of the vertical siding is worse than the photos make it appear; I would describe it as either a mint or pea-soup green. Bilious.

It certainly didn't appear that anyone was living there. I didn't see any window coverings or other evidence of occupancy in any unit except the model suite.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 9:48 PM

^Yah my picture made the picture look darker than it really was.

Now that I think of it I didn't see anybody come in or out of the building either and well I was there for a little while because I parked and walked down to 5552 Kaye and I was on the phone for awhile.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 11:54 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
^Yah my picture made the picture look darker than it really was.

Now that I think of it I didn't see anybody come in or out of the building either and well I was there for a little while because I parked and walked down to 5552 Kaye and I was on the phone for awhile.
The ugly green roof is fake copper patina. 99% of new Halifax buildings have some sort of ugly fake material. That is why it is so important to retain what we have left of real buildings....... "Heritage Buildings"

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
The ugly green roof is fake copper patina. 99% of new Halifax buildings have some sort of ugly fake material. That is why it is so important to retain what we have left of real buildings....... "Heritage Buildings"
EMPIRE do you hate new buildings, developers, and the world you live in?

This world is not perfect, and not everyone is going to like each building the same as the other person.

Its architecture, and subjective. Some like it, some don't.

I am sorry you don't like "progress"

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 2:08 AM

Um, other people have complained about the choice of colours and materials in this project other than Empire. In fact I would say the majority here are reacting negatively towards this building, so why call Empire out on it?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
Um, other people have complained about the choice of colours and materials in this project other than Empire. In fact I would say the majority here are reacting negatively towards this building, so why call Empire out on it?
Chris

Agreed, others have commented that the choice of materials are less then attractive, but Empires remarks are not totally consistent with everyone else.

Just review some of Empires post in a number of topics tonight.

Myself included feel the choice of materials are less then attractive, but at least we have/had a new development. And for that i am glad to see, regardless of it looks.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
Chris

Agreed, others have commented that the choice of materials are less then attractive, but Empires remarks are not totally consistent with everyone else.

Just review some of Empires post in a number of topics tonight.

Myself included feel the choice of materials are less then attractive, but at least we have/had a new development. And for that i am glad to see, regardless of it looks.
Well "Sdm" maybe Empire actually wants to see the city turn into a nice looking area not just green-clad roofing all over the place.

I have to agree with Empire. IMO this building should not of been built. It should of been redesigned and built once the city agreed with the looks. Man does HRM need a design commitee for the peninsula.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Man does HRM need a design commitee for the peninsula.
Knowing Halifax and the people who are likely to want to be on such a committee, in all likelihood this sort of faux-classical crap is probably what the design committee would want.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 3:44 AM

I agree with SDM....man, Empire is starting to sound like a broken record! he needs a serious whipping

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 2:42 PM

Quote:
IMO this building should not of been built.
The building doesn't look bad. In my opinion the only thing that needs to change is the green, the rest I could live with. Not ideal, but definitely not something that should hold the project back.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth