HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 13, 2009, 9:38 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenic View Post
This doesn't seem to be a problem for the Porter's Lake Superstore...which essentially has a big open span space inside.

Edit: Nevermind. I don't actually know if the superstore turbine is on the roof or not.
it's not on the roof. It's about 40 feet away from the building I believe.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2009, 10:40 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
it's not on the roof. It's about 40 feet away from the building I believe.
Ahhhh, well, it's still mighty neat.

Hopefully the Market will be able to incorporate turbines in some fashion.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2009, 2:25 PM

The Porter's Lake turbine is on the ground behind the store.

Edit: Didn't notice the page had flipped and the question had been answered!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2009, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
hopefully there will be some transit service there to make this thing greener... I feel for the poor NSCAD U students who are there, working all hours, without transit service to get them anywhere close to areas where people actually live - it's quite isolated at the moment.
What, they can't walk to Barrington?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2009, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
What, they can't walk to Barrington?
Well they could.

That said, it's not a straight walk (the tracks etc. are in the way), so they'd have to walk up marginal road first. At 2 or 3 in the morning, when the place is otherwise abandoned, I wouldn't feel safe if I were them.

I guess my point is that if you want to have the place be well used by ALL citizens, and you want to focus on it being a "green" development, convenient public transportation routes (preferably multiple) are a must. I'm hopeful that MetroTransit will add a route once the market is up and running days (or whatever it's meant to be) a week.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Well they could.

That said, it's not a straight walk (the tracks etc. are in the way), so they'd have to walk up marginal road first. At 2 or 3 in the morning, when the place is otherwise abandoned, I wouldn't feel safe if I were them.

I guess my point is that if you want to have the place be well used by ALL citizens, and you want to focus on it being a "green" development, convenient public transportation routes (preferably multiple) are a must. I'm hopeful that MetroTransit will add a route once the market is up and running days (or whatever it's meant to be) a week.
no one wants the seaport to be less isolated than me....well I'm sure there some people....but anyways... I really would like to see a lot of residential in that area....make it a community, as well as a seaport, then it will warrant public trasport....picking up a half dozen art student's at three in the morning is no way to keep public transportation sustainable and the money could be used on expanding MetroX..which I think is a very good project...

.....man like it's been said so many times before.....use the rail.... by Chris especially and by other's too

ohhhh and as i recall, originally there was supposed to be residential for artists in the seawall....so they could live right where they work.....and the way this aspect of the proposal was worded, and presented....it was like it's hole purpose of having the artist's living and working at the seawall was to provide the cruise people with a sideshow....

yah the corporation I think is frightened about the backlash from the usual suspects if any regular residential was proposed.....when the Artist residential was still on the table, they kept emphasizing how it was artist's that were going to be living there .....as if that makes it okay......why can't we have some residential for regular peeps?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 12:21 AM

^I think there is some sort of regulation that prevents the PA from developing residential in the area.

Once the market is open I'd love to see two things happen in the area;

1) Install bus service down Terminal Road (downtown shuttle would be ideal),

2) redo the parking lot behind the Westin into a park like it used to be.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 2:21 AM

I wonder if they could add some sort of pedway over the rail tracks, connecting the Via station (or the Super Store parking lot..) with Pier 21...

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 3:43 PM

A pedway would be nice. There is one little shortcut though. You can cut through the hotel and go down the main stairs inside and out into the back parking lot. Doesn't do much and is kind of informal, but it still helps a little. Especially when it is raining.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 4:18 PM

Quote:
I wonder if they could add some sort of pedway over the rail tracks, connecting the Via station (or the Super Store parking lot..) with Pier 21...
I like that idea

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 11:03 PM

I think the train station could use with a fix up as well. It has the one nice facade but the rest of it is butt ugly, especially the addition they put on for the buses and mail.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 2:14 AM

In my last year of planning school, my group's project was actually on solving the difficulty of linking the Seaport area into the rest of the city. Our solution was to demolish the bus station and move the VIA tracks a few meters south so that a roadway could run along the side of the train station down to Marginal Road. A bright new shiney bus station would be built on the empty parking lot behind the train station with a direct connection to the station hall. The train station platforms would be accessed through a passage underneath the new street. We also suggested making the intersection of Barrington and Inglis Streets into a real three-way intersection and widening that next to useless and scary pedestrian tunnel under the tracks into something useful that could handle both pedestrians and vehicles.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
^I think there is some sort of regulation that prevents the PA from developing residential in the area.

Once the market is open I'd love to see two things happen in the area;

1) Install bus service down Terminal Road (downtown shuttle would be ideal),

2) redo the parking lot behind the Westin into a park like it used to be.
If the land is controlled by the PA, then yes there are federal restrictions against residential development.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
In my last year of planning school, my group's project was actually on solving the difficulty of linking the Seaport area into the rest of the city. Our solution was to demolish the bus station and move the VIA tracks a few meters south so that a roadway could run along the side of the train station down to Marginal Road. A bright new shiney bus station would be built on the empty parking lot behind the train station with a direct connection to the station hall. The train station platforms would be accessed through a passage underneath the new street. We also suggested making the intersection of Barrington and Inglis Streets into a real three-way intersection and widening that next to useless and scary pedestrian tunnel under the tracks into something useful that could handle both pedestrians and vehicles.
No offense, but that sounds overly complex and very expensive...

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Of course it would be expensive, but doing anything over there would be expensive. If you actually want to connect the area what other option is there besides going through the bus station or tunnelling at the end of Barrington Street? (a tunnel at the end of Barrington would make the biggest difference). So if you're going to spend money, you might as well make it worthwhile and have a connection that can bring both cars and people. A tunnel at the end of Barrington Street could do that or a street alongside the train station.

It is actually a serious problem since right now there is only one road entrance. If there were an emergency at the Seaport, that roadway could easily become blocked making it difficult for emergency workers to get to the scene, especially given that the Port is still locking the far Point Pleasent end of Marginal Road at night for some strange reason.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
A lot of projects like that in planning school never looked at money. We had free range. Made for some good ideas thats for sure.
In my final year someone tried to tackle this area's connections as well. They proposed building an elevated park. Inspired by the new High Line in NYC. It would be built above the tracks and connect superstore, Barrington, the Seaport and was to go all the way over to Point Pleasant as well. A really cool idea. Oh how I miss school....

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 3:56 PM

I'll admit it would be neat to have the Via platforms covered again.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 11:27 PM

Again!?

It was covered in the past?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 11:47 PM

The site now has barricades around it and RCS has their site trailer on-site. There was a bit of welding going on inside tonight when I went by.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
The site now has barricades around it and RCS has their site trailer on-site. There was a bit of welding going on inside tonight when I went by.
Sounds good

Can't wait to see what the wind turbines would look like in downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth