HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos

Old Posted Nov 29, 2008, 11:47 PM

Seaport area

I got few pics of the sea port development area at night. The new lighting they have down there is kind of neat.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2008, 11:56 PM

I assume they change colour? They look pretty cool

Old Posted Nov 29, 2008, 11:57 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The seaport is interesting but there's still relatively little that would attract residents on a semi-regular basis. The farmers' market will serve that purpose somewhat but the area needs some residential and office buildings to make it feel like a real part of the city.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 3:36 PM

Absolutely, look at those pictures, the place is dead..

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 6:19 PM

just some warehouse's with some fancy light's

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
Yes....as well as Pier 21, Criuse ship welcoming centre, NSCAD campus, the Canard Centre, Garrison brewery, Future home of the Seaport Farmers Market and I also seen a sign with Office space for lease with a major overhaul of Pier 22.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 9:27 PM

Quote:
I think you are being too harsh. The Port Authority at least has a plan in place for development and is working toward it. More than can be said for the Twisted Sisters, International Place, Salters Block, Kings Warf, The Alexander and Queens Landing that everyone seems to get very inspired by.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 12:18 AM

Haliguy, as you point out, they have made exelant use of the old warehouses, or giant sheds as some might call them, but other than that, what have they really built? not much....and it's been several years....do they even have any rendering's of any new developments, or are all the big plans just pie in the sky? I guess they are still basking in the glory of that great archway at the entrance of the boardwalk that they where so proud of

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 12:27 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Well, from their perspective I'm sure this area is a commercial success. It's probably one of the nicest ports around for cruise ship passengers. The NSCAD campus and Garrison brewery are also perfect things to have in that area... there's just not enough down there yet to make it a destination, and it's a bit of a walk even from the Bishop's Landing/Brewery market area.

The farmers' market will make a huge difference. Once that's in place locals will go there regularly and suddenly it will also make sense as a location for retail.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Haliguy, as you point out, they have made exelant use of the old warehouses, or giant sheds as some might call them, but other than that, what have they really built? not much....and it's been several years....do they even have any rendering's of any new developments, or are all the big plans just pie in the sky? I guess they are still basking in the glory of that great archway at the entrance of the boardwalk that they where so proud of

negative much...geeech

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 1:01 AM

from those picture's you posted it looks like they planted some more tree's, I think that's a good thing, it will help to improve the atmosphere...someone123 your right, everything you mentioned are great use of the existing buildings, i guess I wish they where a little more aggressive with other aspects, perhaps when they complete the farmers market, there is a chance the next stage will include new development

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 1:36 AM

Some trees would defenitely make the area look a lot better. The last time i was down there it was all concrete and asphalt

Hopefully they'll consider developing the Westin rear parking lot area into something interesting. Just having something at the bend in the road would make it blend into downtown a lot better.

Another thing that would really make the area look better is the replacement for the Power Plant.

Those lights are awesome though on the sides of the buildings.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 3:24 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here's a picture from another photo thread in this section ("Photos from atop 1801 Hollis") that shows the area pretty nicely:

Unfortunately it also shows some of the problems of the seawall. Lower Water Street is only partly built up and the condo buildings aren't the greatest.

I'm not sure what the NSP project will do to add to the waterfront side of the building, but it won't do much for the street. I agree that a landmark building at the terminus of Lower Water St would be interesting.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 3:58 AM

I was actually randomly walking down there the other night and there was a sign up for leasing opportunities in Shed 22.
The renderings on the board I believe were these ones from WHW. If so it would make for another nice addition to the area.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 9:14 PM

Wow that is beautiful.

Is Pier 22 the one on a right angle to Pier 21 or is right next to it? If it is the first one this would mark the end of the Seaport section. Its a little remote but could still be heavily used i guess if a people-attracter is in the building...

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 2:27 AM

It is the continuation of the Pier 21 building. The bit of red in the rendering in the top left corner would be Pier 21.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 4:49 AM

Oh okay thanks "Jonovision". That means its at least in a more convienient spot for tourists.

Whats in Pier 23 then?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Oh okay thanks "Jonovision". That means its at least in a more convienient spot for tourists.

Whats in Pier 23 then?
Pier 23 is now the Cunard Centre

http://www.rcr.ca/catering/venues/cunard-centre/

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 2:13 AM

^Huh never knew that before. Thanks "pnightingale"

I always knew the Cunard Centre was somewheres down there but not in one of the Piers. The one thing that drives me nuts about it is the name. I can see why they would name it that but everytime someone mentions the Cunard Centre i always think its the small venue up on Cunard St near Windsor.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos