HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
Given the relatively low number of Toronto forumers, I'm expecting that the original Top 10 U/C and Top 25 Proposal (Top 50 in actuality) threads will ultimately get buried in favour of the new non-GTA ones. Less work for me I guess.
As long as you guys have Caltrane and Steveve, you will never have to worry about that

Top 10 u/c, Top 25 Proposal, Top 11-30 u/c

If the post counts were proportional to construction activity Toronto would have 5x more buildings under construction than it does already. That said, all these non-GTA threads are an embarrassment. "Canada's tallest" + qualifier is meaningless. As proven above, there's more than enough activity to warrant a Toronto sub forum.

Last edited by dleung; Nov 6, 2011 at 11:59 PM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 11:24 PM
gettin' rich!

Yeah, but I'm getting old, I can't keep up this rate of posting for long. I'm already looking for a retirement property to relax in.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 3:15 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

I may not live in Toronto, but I do live in the GTA, and I certainly pay attention to Toronto development. But I also check out construction in the rest of Canada, and the rest of the world for that matter.

Regarding the GTA/non GTA threads, everyone is free to view and post on whatever thread they wish, and they can ignore whatever threads they want to as well. Why bitch about it???

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 4:02 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by big T View Post
actually montreal does not have one either.
Winnipeg does not have one either

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 4:14 AM
Urban Fanactic

Hey I'm #8 in the top 10 u/c and #12 in the top 11-30 u/c.
Didn't think I was posting that much. Still will never be anywhere near Caltrane or Steveve.
Looks like I have to get into the conversation more on the top 25 proposals, I'm only 17.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 4:21 AM
gettin' rich!

You'll never catch me. My boss gave me a company iPhone with as much data as I want. I fucking sleep with this thing. Do updates from the toilet seat at the Sheraton Hotel. Walking down Yonge Street, I'm battling with Whippersnapper. Uploading photos from the streetcar. Copying and pasting while I'm getting a lap dance at Zanibar, well anyways...

You guys get the picture ....

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 4:34 AM

Oasis (Coquitlam, BC) at 42 storeys should be on this list.

http://www.oasiscoquitlam.com

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 4:52 AM
The good old days are now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Yes, but there is an actual thread at least for Montréal. Toronto, last I recall, has nothing. Even if Toronto has a low number of forumers, being a large and impressive city, I don't see why non Torontonians wouldn't take a gander at Toronto-specific threads once in a while.

MTLURB sounds similar to C2E. Many passionate and thoughtful folks, but also a lot of annoying people (not so much douches). That could be why there is still an adequate Edmonton following on SSP, as I know most like SSP for it's more sane discussions and less annoying people. I wonder why more from MTLURB (the thoughful folks with genuine interest you speak of) don't also get accounts on SSP to get away from that.
Funny thing is that MtlUrb was founded by Malek (no comment). A lot of MtlUrb members were on SSP before (a smaller number were on SSC), and they pretty much all followed Malek to MtlUrb (a lot of them don't think too highly of SSP, I'll leave it at that...). Mind you, there are some great members there too. A Montreal-specific section on this website would definitely give them some needed competition.

Last edited by MTLskyline; Nov 7, 2011 at 5:19 AM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 5:53 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis007 View Post
Oasis (Coquitlam, BC) at 42 storeys should be on this list.

http://www.oasiscoquitlam.com

As I said when I started the thread for this building in the metro vancouver section, I'd appreciate it if anyone has any info on the height of this building and can update the Coquitlam page and skyscraper map., until then, I'm not sure if this building is over 110 meters or not so I won't add it quite yet.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 7:54 AM
ARTchitecture

Posted on the 1021 West Hastings thread in the Vancouver forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheosfog View Post
The existing heritage building is currently being gutted on the inside in preparation for demolition, except for the facade, I believe. This is from the Cordova side:

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 8:02 AM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big T View Post
actually montreal does not have one either. both montreal and toronto have rather large, succesful forums of their own (urbantoronto and mtlurb).
while urbantoronto seems like an okay place, mtlurb is a strange mix of nice, thoughtful individuals with a genuine interest in urban issues and complete douchebags. i wish mtl still had enough active forumers to warrant its own subsection here, but most of the contingent left years ago.
Based on my limited exposure to mtlurb, that place is akin to the yahoo comments page, save for 3-4 thoughtful people (who used to be the big guys on SSP).

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
Funny thing is that MtlUrb was founded by Malek (no comment). A lot of MtlUrb members were on SSP before (a smaller number were on SSC), and they pretty much all followed Malek to MtlUrb (a lot of them don't think too highly of SSP, I'll leave it at that...). Mind you, there are some great members there too. A Montreal-specific section on this website would definitely give them some needed competition.
I always found it strange how most Toronto skyscraper enthusiasts posts on SSC (even where I'm originally from), while almost everyone else in the country posts here. The Toronto section is the most busiest out of the North American Metropolis and States forums by almost double the nearest competitor. Although since 2007, UrbanToronto.ca is the place to be for overall urban enthusiasts and most concise/current project news. But the Canadian sections on SSC will have only a handful of regular contributors from other cities. Kind of like the complete opposite of here. LOL

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 3:42 PM
Registered User, Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Not enough Toronto forumers on this site:

Travis / caltrane / Steveve / Ramako / yyzr / whippersnapper / Tony / j will

Gresto / Andy6 / jetsbackincanada (does not live in TO) / maxman / rbt / Traynor (does not live in TO)

That's about all I can name off the top of my head
Dude! I feel so left out now... I'm only like #7 on the top 10 u/c & #11 on the top 25 proposals
That's the last time I take the time to photograph Don Mill's! (I kid )

In all seriousness though, I don't see what the harm is in having this thread (even though Toronto is still the center of the universe btw ) We already have threads that are selective on the main Canada forum see; "The Great Canadian Skyline thread for cities 500,000 and under"

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 3:45 PM
gettin' rich!

Hey man I just saw the University Ave photo at UT. That shot is awesome man.

I also forgot yaletown fella.

My bad.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 4:39 PM

^ What about me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
No one is denying that Toronto is king in skyscraper construction, but it is also fun to see what is happening elsewhere in Canada without having to individually visit every single province / city sub forum. It is actually an interesting exercise.

Also, why doesn't Toronto have its own sub section? This I have never figured out.

Because it is annoying on the flip side when the Canada section is used for such threads as "Mayor Rob Ford Ambushed by CBC" at the very least place such threads in the Ontario sub section, especially if you are going to get pissy over threads such as this one

I often miss other cities' updates as they are lost in all the projects occurring in Toronto. I for one am quite pleased with this thread, it will help me keep up to date with the rest of the country.

Of course this wouldn't be quite as big an issue if there was a Toronto subforum... but that is a whole other can of worms.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Not enough Toronto forumers on this site:

Travis / caltrane / Steveve / Ramako / yyzr / whippersnapper / Tony / j will

Gresto / Andy6 / jetsbackincanada (does not live in TO) / maxman / rbt / Traynor (does not live in TO)

That's about all I can name off the top of my head
Ouch Cal, ouch.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 6:34 PM
gettin' rich!

oh geez...

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 7:37 PM

I don't live in TO, but I certainly follow the development closely. Separating the Top 10 U/C and 25 Proposed just does more to separate TO and the ROC.

Instead of making two different threads why don't we expand them to "Top 25 U/C" and "Top 50 Proposed". Yes, those additional buildings added will also be largely be from the GTA, but it'll give other cities a chance to get shown without causing breaking up the board.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Instead of making two different threads why don't we expand them to "Top 25 U/C" and "Top 50 Proposed". Yes, those additional buildings added will also be largely be from the GTA, but it'll give other cities a chance to get shown without causing breaking up the board.
I actually already expanded the Top 25 Proposals thread to be the Top 50 Proposals (as a result of complaints months earlier about Toronto's domination) but I was never able to change the title. I think a mod would have to do it. In fact, 15 of the 25 proposals in the new non-GTA Proposals thread are already captured in my Top 50 Proposals thread, so there's a lot of redundancy happening now.

Check out the first page of the Top 25 (50) Proposals thread, as I always keep it up-to-date. I'm also planning on adding a new feature to the list: a small blurb under each proposal noting the latest news/rumours. You can see that I already added it for a few of the Toronto proposals a while back, but I haven't gotten around to doing it for the entire list.

Also, there's no point in expanding the Tallest 10 U/C to 25 as there's already a Tallest 11-30 U/C thread. We don't need any more redundancy.

Last edited by Ramako; Nov 7, 2011 at 8:25 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 8:15 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwils01 View Post
Hey I'm #8 in the top 10 u/c and #12 in the top 11-30 u/c.
Didn't think I was posting that much. Still will never be anywhere near Caltrane or Steveve.
Looks like I have to get into the conversation more on the top 25 proposals, I'm only 17.
I (quite surprisingly) snuck onto the "Top 10 U/C" list with 46 posts, but 45 of those posts are likely just me complaining about how ugly Trump is, so perhaps those shouldn't count?
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada