HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 7:52 AM
Earthling

Edmonton records highest one-year growth in 44 years

This was just released a few days ago, and I didn't spot a thread on Edmonton population...That's some phenomenal growth! Edmonton's official population was 782,439 on April 1, 2009. Anybody know offhand if any of it is due to annexation?

http://www.altapop.ca/

Quote:
Edmonton records highest one-year growth in 44 years

June 13, 2009
The turn in the global economy over the past year has not curtailed population growth in Edmonton just quite yet. Edmonton’s 2009 municipal census recorded a population of 782,439 – 30,027 people over its 2008 count of 752,412. This represents a 4.0% growth rate over the past year.

Edmonton’s previous annual growth rate was 1.9% between the 2005 and 2008 municipal censuses. The population was recorded at 712,391 in 2005, while Statistics Canada reported Edmonton’s population to be 730,372 in the 2006 federal census.

The last time Edmonton's annual growth topped 30,000 was between 1964 and 1965. After counting 311,804 people in 1964, Edmonton grew by 14.7% or a whopping 45,892 residents to 357,696 in 1965.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 8:52 AM

No annexation in those numbers. Although I wish Edmonton would annex its neighbours. I'm looking at you, Sherwood Park.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 2:46 PM
Community Guy

yup... pretty unreal growth and very unexpected.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftopolis View Post
This was just released a few days ago, and I didn't spot a thread on Edmonton population...That's some phenomenal growth! Edmonton's official population was 782,439 on April 1, 2009. Anybody know offhand if any of it is due to annexation?

There were some difficulties with the 2008 census. I suspect that they significantly undercounted that year.
That, or they believed me when I said that 17,000 people lived in my basement.
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 3:45 PM

Quote:

what annexation?
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 4:16 PM

Quote:

while the growth in edmonton's population was both large and largely unexpected, i'm not sure that it can or should be looked at in isolation. if there was no similar growth in the region overall, it could have simply been a shift in population from more expensive suburban space to rental space in the city or a larger number of people - particularly younger - who may have moved to be closer to the post secondary institutions that are concentrated in edmonton rather than taking a chance and staying at home in a deteriorating job market. its hard to say whether edmonton's growth - even though it is good for edmonton in terms of per capita funding availability etc. - is really in-migration or a more local re-distribution.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 5:06 PM
HVAC guru

I've been running ads in the journal for tradespeople & I'm still getting lots of inquiries from all over Canada. Seems like lots of people still see Edmonton as a city with lots of opporutnity and still want to relocate here.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
I've been running ads in the journal for tradespeople & I'm still getting lots of inquiries from all over Canada. Seems like lots of people still see Edmonton as a city with lots of opporutnity and still want to relocate here.
I know a lot of people who moved from Fort Mac back to Edmonton last year. There was a pretty good exodus.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 5:41 PM
HVAC guru

^ That'll likely turn around as things start to ramp back up in the Fort. I know of some large local companies that are already gearing back up as projects start to come back online.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 6:49 PM
Earthling

Thanks for all the comments, everybody...As a non-local, it gives me a better understanding of Edmonton.

Regarding Fort Mac, it's my understanding it's fortunes are largely(perhaps overly) tied to the oilsands--which in turn follows the price of oil. Can't recall the exact figure when it starts being irresistably profitable...but oil has been rising in a steady and stable way. It makes sense that part of the rise might be due to people temporarily relocating in Edmonton. If that's the case though, it's worth pointing out that Edmonton is obviously vibrant and diverse enough to absorb a rapid rise in population.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 11:12 PM

It hadn't been said, so I'd clarify for those that don't know, this is our city proper population.

Our metro population is 1.1 million or so.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 6:22 AM

That's fantastic growth but where is it happening? I hope most is downtown/inner city. Edmonton's downtown is relativly small but I think "inner city" is a better indicator. In Edmonton I ussually think of that as being roughly i or less just north of the river valley from Oliver to about 5 blocks east of the business section.
Its a better indicator of the city's vitality.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 2:36 PM
HVAC guru

^ I doubt that 'most' of the growth is happening in the downtown area, but I would think that certainly a good portion of it is.

Reading the Herald this morning, it appears that Airdrie is sucking up Calgary residents at a pretty amazing pace. I would expect to see that in Edmonton with much growth in Ellerslie area and bedroom communities. Albertans still love their cars, big houses and toys, after all.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 3:33 PM
Community Guy

^indeed.

The % of people choosing central living options is increasing though but not fast enough.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 10:49 AM
Earthling

Speaking of suburbs, here are some just released 'burban populations:

From http://www.altapop.ca/

EDMONTON AREA:
Quote:
...The new population of the City of Spruce Grove is 23,326, which is 3,830 people more than the 2006 federal census count of 19,496. This grows amounts to an average annual growth rate of 6.5% or an influx of approximately 1,275 people per year.
CALGARY AREA:
Quote:
Meanwhile, the Town of Okotoks is now home to 21,690 residents according to its second municipal census in as many years. The latest census shows 1,694 more people live in Okotoks compared to the 19,996 counted last year. This represents a one-year growth rate of 8.5%...
Quote:
...Given the recent turn in the economy, the City of Airdrie was surprised to learn this week that its latest census counted 3,975 people more than last year. The population of Airdrie now sits at 38,091, which is 11.7% more than its population of 34,116 tallied just a year ago...
Hopefully, as Alberta suburbs develop, they'll realize sooner rather than later, that suburbs need their own walkable downtowns along with public transit connections to the main city.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Hopefully, as Alberta suburbs develop, they'll realize sooner rather than later, that suburbs need their own walkable downtowns along with public transit connections to the main city.
Yeah, good luck with that.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 3:27 PM

Thumbs down

^Mr. ANGRY brings up old threads that aren't even relevant anymore!! Good work son.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 3:27 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qafir Arnaut View Post
Yeah, good luck with that.
We are starting to see this happen in many suburban areas throughout North America. These are being planned primarily around transit hubs.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naidoo View Post
^Mr. ANGRY brings up old threads that aren't even relevant anymore!! Good work son.
Point taken..how could i have discounted what is relevant to you, and then proceeded to write?! Next time i'll ask for your seal of approval.

Where are these 30,000 souls hiding anyway? On weekends, Jasper and 109th where I live and work is virtually a scene straight out of "The Devil's Advocate" New York City (right before the Son goes to meet his Father). All that's missing is tumbleweed and an Enio Morricone soundtrack to make the scene a perfect Western movie setup.

Last edited by Qafir Arnaut; Mar 23, 2010 at 8:20 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qafir Arnaut View Post
Next time i'll ask for your seal of approval..
Please do, I demand it of you. As an ab initio guideline, you can start by balancing your posts with some that are positive, constructive and somewhat intellectually meaningful. Otherwise, you could be suspect of being a "troll."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton