HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 8:04 PM

Visiting Edmonton - What to do

Hey everyone. I'm here for about a week, just got in on the train. I'd like to hear from local urban enthusiasts on what their favourite areas are here. If you're interested in my perspective on arriving here in the northeastern suburbs., http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=168780&page=8
I haven't been downtown yet but obviously I'm headed there soon, just need to get some caffeine in the system first.

Here's what I'm interested in specifically:

Photography - where are some good spots to get a perspective on the city? Or nice places to photograph in general?

Old commercial areas - blocks with a continuous streetwall and diverse retail activity

Railways - light and heavy rail in the inner city. Are there still any tracks into the downtown besides the LRT? Any interesting rail infrasture like bridges and tunnels, either in use or abandoned?

Tall buildings with public observation areas?

Thanks in advance for any advice. If anyone wants to meet and show me around, I'll gladly buy you a few beers.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 8:30 PM
Community Guy

Photography - where are some good spots to get a perspective on the city? Or nice places to photograph in general?

pretty much all of the river valley vistas/top of banks. Also walk the high level bridge (big black one)

Old commercial areas - blocks with a continuous streetwall and diverse retail activity

whyte avenue (82ave from 99st-109st), 124st from jasper to 106ave but be sure to wander a block east or west in each direction, 104st from jasper-102ave (hit the farmer's market on saturday from 9-3) http://www.city-market.ca/

Railways - light and heavy rail in the inner city. Are there still any tracks into the downtown besides the LRT? Any interesting rail infrasture like bridges and tunnels, either in use or abandoned?

take the high level bridge street car (avail near whyte or along the multiuse train west of 109st, runs every 1/2 hour), there is a rail museum in the NE you might be interested in, also fort edmonton has a killer steam locomotive

Tall buildings with public observation areas?

nothing really public unfortunately other than go have a coffee or dessert at the top of the chateaux lacombe hotel (100ave/101st) as it has a rotating restaurant with some pretty amazing views.

other than that be sure to check out:

-Edmonton Queen - http://www.edmontonqueen.com/
- fort edmonton - http://www.fortedmontonpark.ca/pages...n/default.aspx

- the Edmonton 'Fringe' is on right now around whyte avenue
http://www.fringetheatreadventures.ca/

- Ride the LRT from the far NE to the far SE

- be sure to walk some of the trails along the river valley

-unfortunately i am super busy/out of town this week or i would take you around, i love our city and beer.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 8:35 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 8:35 PM

Hey

Here are some suggestions for you:

Old districts/trendy negihbourhoods with interest:
-Strathcona. Just south of the river. In fact I would recommend taking the High Level down 109 St to Whyte Ave (check whyte between 109-103 St for vibrancy, and 102-99st for less activity), the main drag of Strathcona. Aside from crappy unfriendly access to the bridge on the north side of the river it is nice. Some nice old prairie style commercial buildings between 104 and 103 St. Then the rest is just neat shops, bars, restaurants, and whatever else. Going on now is the Fringe, which is one of the worlds largest, just north of Whyte on 104 st. I would recommend it. This area is our truly vibrant neighbourhood.
-104th Street, north of the river. This would be between Jasper and 104 ave. It is the heart of the warehouse district and is full of a bunch of old brick style buildings from Edmonton's first boom...1907-1913. There is also a lot of new cafes and restaurants opening up. If you are here for Saturday, I'd recommend going for the farmers market on 104.
-Glenora. Okay no neat commercial strips but it's a nice area to wander through with dozens of beautiful old homes, just west of Groat Road.
-124th Street. It isn't THAT amazing I guess and has a lot of work to do yet, but there are some neat galleries and boutiques and early modernist buildings between Jasper Ave and 107 Ave.
-Alberta Avenue. The whole neighbourhood. Lots of nice older homes to look at and the main strip, 118 Ave (nicknamed Alberta Avenue), has been revitalizing a lot lately, and while still has a way to go, has come a long way. If you come back to Edmonton in a few years you'll probably notice some more changes to the area.

Photographic locations:

I honestly don't know because I don't know what you're after. I'd recommend taking pics around the strips I mentioned for some street scenes and architectural photography.

If you want skyline angles you should try Gallagher Park south of the river, near Muttart Conservatory and Edmonton Ski Club and the Edmonton Queen. Also check out Duggan Bridge on Saskatchewan Drive, just west of 105 St on Sask Dr. Despite most of Saskatchewan Drive having views disrupted by trees, this area is a nice clearing.

Like I recommended the High Level Bridge is a good spot. Check out the area around Churchill Square for nice architecture if that's your thing. Jasper Ave between 97 and 96 Streets has a lot of beautiful old buildings. The area is a bit sketchy but it is a nice area to photograph.

Unfortunately Edmonton has no observation decks. I don't know why, there used to be one. You could try getting some nice views from various parking garages though.

Railways:

You could take the Heritage Streetcar. A little, well very touristy but quite nice. Between 109 and 110 Streets and between Jasper Ave and 97 Ave is where the streetcar goes north of the river, some nice tracks to check out there. The LRT goes above ground outside of the downtown and University stn so you could snap photos or look at those railways. You could stoll down (I'd recommend in transportation/vehicle not walk) 111 St between Whitemud and 23 Ave and check out the LRT expansion underway. Whyte Avenue between 103 and 102 St is where some rails go inbetween parking lots. And south of there if you're looking on a map is a railyard.

EDIT: I took too long and cold got a lot of what i said.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 9:10 PM
HVAC guru

If you're up in the North East and can get ahold of a bike you can ride in the river valley starting from Rundle Park all the way through the incredible park system down to Hawryluk park and further if you have the energy. You can also shoot up Mill creek ravine to see a couple of old railway trestles.

And everything everyone else has said is good too. If you're interested in horticulture and history you can check out the Muttart Conservatory and Fort Edmonton Park (also has some railway components)

Last edited by 240glt; Aug 18, 2009 at 9:21 PM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 10:06 PM
So very tired...

Hi Jon,

Others have covered the basics ... I'm a camera buff as well. If you like I could take you on a photo walkabout through Jasper East, Downtown, Government District and Grandin/Oliver. That's enough to kill a decent afternoon. Sunday or Monday work for me...

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 3:03 AM
Urbis Maximus

Jon, I'd take up bulliver's request, he's knows some sweet photo spots.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 11:04 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Day 1 of exploring was a success and now I'm writing all of this down for when I go out again.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 11:10 PM

How are you enjoying town so far? What's your first impressions?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 9:19 PM

At the stationlands site you can see LRT tunnels under construction, the opening of the old tunnel from the CN/VIA station to the platforms, and at the east end of the site you can access the 'abandoned' rail bridge over the 97st underpass. it's destined to be a multiuse trail& plaza when the final stationlands phases go through.

There's a parkette between 105&104 aves at about 113st that has a map of the former CN yards in the concrete, and some posters.

Walk/bike the mill creek trail. it's built primarily on the original rail line into edmonton from the south, which crossed the river on the low level bridge before the high level was built.

There's lots of freight infrastructure along the NE LRT line.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
How are you enjoying town so far? What's your first impressions?
Having a good time and I've done most of what's been recommended here. I find the downtown pretty impressive and the river valley is beautiful. The LRT bridge beside the high level bridge is probably my favourite piece of infrastructure here. Also for some reason I really like the CN building.

Beer is cheap here. It might just be the places I've been going, but I haven't paid $5 for a beer yet, and I only drink good beer. Big Rock Traditional Ale is my favourite local one so far.

I still have to check out some of the parks along ther river and get up to the top of that hotel.

One thing I forgot to ask is where is the best coffee here? There seem to be alot of second cups and starbucks and quite a few independents, but what's the best?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
Having a good time and I've done most of what's been recommended here. I find the downtown pretty impressive and the river valley is beautiful. The LRT bridge beside the high level bridge is probably my favourite piece of infrastructure here. Also for some reason I really like the CN building.

Beer is cheap here. It might just be the places I've been going, but I haven't paid $5 for a beer yet, and I only drink good beer. Big Rock Traditional Ale is my favourite local one so far.

I still have to check out some of the parks along ther river and get up to the top of that hotel.

One thing I forgot to ask is where is the best coffee here? There seem to be alot of second cups and starbucks and quite a few independents, but what's the best?
I've only ever heard great things about the three bananas at the south end of winston churchill square

they also make a pretty mean panini and pizza =)

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 6:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
Credo on 104 ST, in the podium of the ICON I.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 2:58 PM
Community Guy

^credo or 3 bananas

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 2:30 AM
So very tired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
Jon, I'd take up bulliver's request, he's knows some sweet photo spots.
Ha ha, thanks for the plug!

I did end up meeting Jon on Monday. He's quite the trooper, I thought he would get bored after a couple hours, but we walked from the Gibson block, through downtown, heritage promenade, government district, grandin, oliver, 124 st, then way back downtown for beer and natchos at the Hat. We talked some Edmonton, some Hamilton, and some photography, and even after an incredibly small amount of protest from me, Jon still didn't let me pick up the beer tab, thanks Jon!

And ironically, it was Jon who was showing me some good photography spots by suggesting we head to the roof of the parkade just north of City Centre East...

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 2:37 PM
Community Guy

^great to hear!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2009, 7:32 AM

Well, you don't travel across the country to get bored after a couple hours. The photo tour was great as was my time there in general. Like I said, if anyone shows me around and talks city geek stuff for an afternoon the beers are on me no problem. I learned alot more about the place hanging around with someone who follows local stuff. If anyone is ever in Hamilton (don't laugh, I said if) hit up the Hamilton board and someone will show you around.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2009, 11:51 PM
Urbis Maximus

Jon, glad you had a great time here in Edmonton and even better that you were able to meet up with a good 'local' to help show you around and talk about city stuff.

You're welcome back any time.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 8:36 PM

Some photos from your fine city:

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 8:37 PM
HVAC guru

great photos! glad you had a good time here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton