HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 5:45 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
These maps, while interesting to look at, really just visually end up representing rural and small town Canada more than anything else. The urban areas where most people actually live can't be seen in any significant way, if at all.
There is a link somewhere in this thread to a page where you can see the maps for the larger metros.

They are as expected, with the inner cities being more liberal on most issues, and the outer suburbs tending to be less liberal.

The exceptions being metro areas in Quebec where there is less of a contrast between urban and suburban parts of a given metro.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 10:11 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The only thing I can't clarify is if the numbers are valuable. I get the impression from the website that it's just an online vote, but they don't seem to spell that out anywhere and I gave up looking.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 12:21 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
The only thing I can't clarify is if the numbers are valuable. I get the impression from the website that it's just an online vote, but they don't seem to spell that out anywhere and I gave up looking.
They do say "Vote Compass respondents are not a random sample of the Canadian population and results must therefore be interpreted with more caution"

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 12:29 AM

What is the source of this survey? It looks like they wanted to show how different Quebec is. Also, what is the average riding? Many the variance isn't so large.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 6:10 PM

I know this is from the US, but I managed to divide the ridings into various categories (all 338 based on new boundaries):

http://patchworknation.org/regions-page

The categories and how many ridings in Canada meet the standards:

Boom Towns (26) - QC 8, ON 4, SK 2, AB 8, BC 4, examples Rosemont-La-Petite-Patrie, Saskatoon West, Fort McMurray-Cold Lake, Abbotsford

Campus and Careers (12) - NS 1, QC 3, ON 6, SK 1, BC 1, examples Kings-Hants, Sherbrooke, Kingston and the Islands, Vancouver Quadra

Emptying Nests (20) - NL 1, NS 3, NB 1, QC 3, ON 5, MB 1, AB 1, BC 5, examples Cape Breton-Canso, Gaspésie-Les Iles-de-la-Madeleine, Parry Sound-Muskoka, Saanich-Gulf Islands

Evangelical Epicentres (11) - NB 2, ON 6, MB 2, AB 1, examples Tobique-Mactaquac, Lambton-Kent-Middlesex, Provencher

Immigration Nation (42) - QC 7, ON 24, AB 2, BC 9, examples Ahuntsic-Cartierville, Markham-Unionville, Calgary Skyview, Surrey Centre

Industrial Metropolis (33) - NS 1, QC 10, ON 13, MB 2, AB 4, BC 3, examples Laurier-Sainte-Marie, Toronto Centre, Edmonton-Strathcona, Vancouver Centre

Military Bastions (11) - NL 1, NS 2, NB 1, QC 2, ON 3, AB 1, BC 1, examples West Nova, Fredericton, Bay of Quinte, Esquimalt-Saanich-Sooke

Minority Central* (14) - NL 1, QC 2, ON 4, MB 2, SK 1, BC 2, North 2, examples Manicouagan, Timmins-James Bay, Winnipeg North, Nunavut

Monied 'Burbs (70) - NL 1, NS 1, QC 15, ON 31, MB 2, SK 1, AB 12, BC 7, examples Repentigny, Newmarket-Aurora, Calgary Heritage, West Vancouver-Sunshine Coast-Sea to Sky Country

Mormon Outposts (0)

Service Worker Centres (74) - NL 3, NS 2, PE 2, NB 5, QC 24, ON 20, MB 4, SK 4, AB 1, BC 8, North 1, examples Saint John, Trois-Rivieres, Windsor West, Nanaimo-Ladysmith

Tractor Country (25) - NS 1, PE 2, NB 1, QC 4, ON 5, MB 1, SK 5, AB 4, BC 2, examples Egmont, Haldimand-Norfolk, Yorkton-Melville, Peace River-Westlock

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 7:30 PM

London seems to have fewer swings in most things than most cities. Most things show London as middle of the road or slightly on the progressive-side which is exactly what London is.

All of this brings up what the ideals are of most Canadians. It's often said that Harper is wrong headed about Canadian values and has taken the country in a right-wing trajectory and so often labelled "un-Canadian". You never heard this expression used for Trudeau, Martin, Chretien, or even Mulroney. Maybe what that means is that those PMs definatly seems to be aligned with Quebec/Ontario values on most issues.

It helps better understand "Western Alienation" especially in regards to the Prairies. Although certainly stems from lack of political reputation under those PMs except Harper but also a profound difference in what is seen as good for country which seemed always to be the notion that if something works for Ont/Que then it's good for the country and if doesn't then the labels of "un-Canadian" start to get used.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 8:22 PM

What is often interesting is that in terms of cultural and political movements, with the exception of Quebec (on many issues), the greater differences are WITHIN provinces rather than BETWEEN provinces.

In those groups, if you isolate Quebec where the rules tend to be broken frequently:

Four of them tend to be almost entirely rock-solid Conservative ridings: Tractor Country, Evangelical Epicentres, Emptying Nests and Military Bastions (combined total 58 seats)

Three of them tend to be almost entirely Liberal or NDP ridings (the Conservatives won some in 2011 but will likely lose them in 2015): Immigration Nation, Industrial Metropolis and Campus and Careers (combined total 66 seats)

The remainder tend to be swing areas where the Conservatives did well in 2011 but the Liberals and/or NDP have had some success as well:

* Service Worker Centres (often Conservative/NDP or 3-way races)
* Monied 'Burbs and Boom Towns (either solidly Conservative or a Conservative/Liberal battleground, NDP generally weak)
* Minority Central (these days mostly Conservative/NDP, although the Liberals might be more competitive)

I defined Minority Central as ridings that have a large Aboriginal population, mostly northern ridings but a few urban ridings as well, since the large immigrant populations are already accounted for in other groups.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 12:27 AM

Basically according to this, Quebec, Ontario, and BC are hands down the best provinces politically while the prairies and parts of atlantic Canada are the worst.

I'm a Left leaning liberal, When I see a map painted red or orange I am happy, when I see a map painted blue I cry.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 12:41 AM
Heart of the Continent

That's funny, because I feel the same way...except completely opposite.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 12:59 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
Basically according to this, Quebec, Ontario, and BC are hands down the best provinces politically while the prairies and parts of atlantic Canada are the worst.

I'm a Left leaning liberal, When I see a map painted red or orange I am happy, when I see a map painted blue I cry.
If you're left leaning why don't you support NDP?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
If you're left leaning why don't you support NDP?
I did in 2011.

But I don't see the NDP ever winning federally so I lean Liberal.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post

Then it probably speaks a bit to the value of this way of presenting the data. Having lived in both, I found that BC and NS are fairly closely aligned, politically. Nova Scotia might not be the most politically radical province, but ideologically it's firmly left-of-centre. I find Southern Ontario (minus Toronto proper) noticeably more conservative than most of NS. The political landscape of the Prairies is completely foreign to me; BC's was familiar.

It's also hard to judge which are the "best provinces politically" / most "conservative" or "liberal" or "progressive" in practice based on voting patterns. I literally cannot think of a single person I know in Nova Scotia who wants to see Harper win again, but I can think of some who would vote for Peter MacKay so that at least if the Conservatives do win again, we have a voice in cabinet. We also currently have a Liberal provincial government who are in practice very similar to the previous NDP government and the PC government that preceded them.

But if you think of Atlantic Canada* as being "the worst" politically (meaning what.. homophobic? racist? money-obsessed? pro-war? anti-environment?) then you should probably stop looking at maps like this and maybe meet some of the people who live here.

*Caveat: I can't speak for New Brunswick. I don't really understand their politics TBH.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
What is often interesting is that in terms of cultural and political movements, with the exception of Quebec (on many issues), the greater differences are WITHIN provinces rather than BETWEEN provinces.

In those groups, if you isolate Quebec where the rules tend to be broken frequently:

Four of them tend to be almost entirely rock-solid Conservative ridings: Tractor Country, Evangelical Epicentres, Emptying Nests and Military Bastions (combined total 58 seats)

Three of them tend to be almost entirely Liberal or NDP ridings (the Conservatives won some in 2011 but will likely lose them in 2015): Immigration Nation, Industrial Metropolis and Campus and Careers (combined total 66 seats)

The remainder tend to be swing areas where the Conservatives did well in 2011 but the Liberals and/or NDP have had some success as well:

* Service Worker Centres (often Conservative/NDP or 3-way races)
* Monied 'Burbs and Boom Towns (either solidly Conservative or a Conservative/Liberal battleground, NDP generally weak)
* Minority Central (these days mostly Conservative/NDP, although the Liberals might be more competitive)

I defined Minority Central as ridings that have a large Aboriginal population, mostly northern ridings but a few urban ridings as well, since the large immigrant populations are already accounted for in other groups.
Haven't seen any comments on this so far, so wanted to say thanks for the post, it was pretty interesting. I think this sort of assessment actually gives a better idea of how different parts of the country function and would probably agree that in most cases it is actually diversity within provinces that is more notable than provincial and regional generalizations. Anyways...cool stuff!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 9:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Then it probably speaks a bit to the value of this way of presenting the data. Having lived in both, I found that BC and NS are fairly closely aligned, politically. Nova Scotia might not be the most politically radical province, but ideologically it's firmly left-of-centre. I find Southern Ontario (minus Toronto proper) noticeably more conservative than most of NS. The political landscape of the Prairies is completely foreign to me; BC's was familiar.

It's also hard to judge which are the "best provinces politically" / most "conservative" or "liberal" or "progressive" in practice based on voting patterns. I literally cannot think of a single person I know in Nova Scotia who wants to see Harper win again, but I can think of some who would vote for Peter MacKay so that at least if the Conservatives do win again, we have a voice in cabinet. We also currently have a Liberal provincial government who are in practice very similar to the previous NDP government and the PC government that preceded them.

But if you think of Atlantic Canada* as being "the worst" politically (meaning what.. homophobic? racist? money-obsessed? pro-war? anti-environment?) then you should probably stop looking at maps like this and maybe meet some of the people who live here.

*Caveat: I can't speak for New Brunswick. I don't really understand their politics TBH.
BC has its own internal divisions. The Vancouver proper votes a lot differently from the interior IMO.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 2:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
If you had to pick a match, Anglo New Brunswick (two thirds of the province) would be closest to rural small towns and cities in southern Ontario. They were settled around the same time by similar people and have retained much of the original Loyalist ethos.

Francophone parts of New Brunswick tend to be similar to Quebec politically although perhaps slightly more conservative (the Catholic church has retained more of an influence there) and of course you don't have the separatism issue present either.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
BC has its own internal divisions. The Vancouver proper votes a lot differently from the interior IMO.
That's actually the norm way more than the exception (rural/urban divide) nearly everywhere in both Canada and the US.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 4:41 PM

Some of my favourite maps:

1. "Only those who speak both English and French should be appointed to the Supreme Court"

http://votecompass.com/results/ca-20...-bilingualism/

Notice the stark difference between Gatineau and Ottawa's western suburbs on the other side of the river. It's the only part of metropolitan Canada that's coloured pitch black on the issue. Is there a lot of resentment toward the use of French in public sector jobs in English Ottawa?

2. "How much tax should corporations pay"?

http://votecompass.com/results/ca-2011/corporate-tax/

Note the sharp difference within Toronto, south of the 401. Parkdale/Junction - which is sort of the bastion of the left and a former working class neighbourhood versus North Toronto/Bridle Path where executives live.

3. "The government should fund daycare instead of giving money to parents"

http://votecompass.com/results/ca-2011/daycare/

Interesting that Quebeckers would be more against this than even many Albertans. Has public daycare there been a mixed bag? Also notice the demand for this where housing prices have escalated to the point where it's unaffordable for families: inner city Toronto and Vancouver.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Interesting that Quebeckers would be more against this than even many Albertans.
There are a few questions on which Quebec and Alberta are the two outliers, which I find interesting.

(Not surprisingly, they're basically all of the type "Should the federal government have less control over [...] while the people and the provinces would have more?")

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 6:33 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

3. "The government should fund daycare instead of giving money to parents"

http://votecompass.com/results/ca-2011/daycare/

Interesting that Quebeckers would be more against this than even many Albertans. Has public daycare there been a mixed bag? Also notice the demand for this where housing prices have escalated to the point where it's unaffordable for families: inner city Toronto and Vancouver.
My guess is the reasons in Alberta and Quebec are different.

It could just be that it's a non-issue in Quebec.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 6:34 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Some of my favourite maps:

1. "Only those who speak both English and French should be appointed to the Supreme Court"

http://votecompass.com/results/ca-20...-bilingualism/

Notice the stark difference between Gatineau and Ottawa's western suburbs on the other side of the river. It's the only part of metropolitan Canada that's coloured pitch black on the issue. Is there a lot of resentment toward the use of French in public sector jobs in English Ottawa?

Hmm yeah. You could say that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada