HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 5:05 PM
arf

This is awesome. Thanks for the link. My first one, I turned around and saw a green sign which was very handy. This way to Princeton and Hope and that way to Rock Creek. I knew BC and figured Osoyoos, then I saw the Buy Low Foods and got to within 54.7m from the point by moving all of 50m in any direction.

5000 points.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 5:08 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Evangeline?

fanpop

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 5:10 PM

Damn I tried my hand at this game a second time just to see if I was just lucky the first time. And this time I didn't even wander farther than the point I was taken to. I still managed to beat my first score. For 2 situations out of 5 my decision was solely based on the surrounding vegetation and I think I did surprisingly well. Or lucky, because vegetation and geography wise it can be hard to tell the difference between the Monteregie region south of Montreal and Southern Ontario. And I wondered more than once if the hills in the interior valley of BC was not Newfounland too.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 5:14 PM
arf

2km away this time. Near Waterloo.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 5:22 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I played a full game and did better. I knew the exact street in Gander but didn't zoom in close enough so was 2.2 km away hehe.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 5:23 PM
arf

2.8km in Eastern Quebec.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 5:27 PM
arf

Okotoks. 2.6km.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 5:32 PM
arf

178.6km away between North Bay and Huntsville ON. I thought I was closer to Sudbury.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 6:10 PM
arf

Did well on my second round. Without moving, just turning around I got 2km on the first guess and got the provinces right in the others, Southern BC and Northern Saskatchewan. Then I completely pulled off a fluke. Dead end road on one side with some trees and just totally nothing but no sidewalk housing area that looked early 2000s. Anywhere was my thought. I went for Shelburne, ON and was only 70km away where it was Meaford. Next one was also ugly, but at least it had to be Prairies. 300km away. I guessed Saskatchewan, but it was Manitoba.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 6:16 PM

I've had two freaky experiences with this thing today:
1) One time a random guess resulted in me being about 20km away, on a rural road southwest of Edmonton
2) A street in Kingston only a few blocks away from a place I used to live in showed up

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
AAANNNDDD I'm disqualified. Not allowed to play anymore,

I am the most flattered that you managed to confuse Bay St. George and Vancouver Island

EDIT: My first try plopped me down in front of the Legion in Wynyard, SK. That should have been easy, but I had no idea where such a town was within SK so I took a guess and got within 20km! Gotta love beginners luck! I then got a highway in northern Ontario, it looks just like the interior of Newfoundland but with well maintained roads and signs that are still decipherable. Then a highway with a big sign that said "Best Western, 20kms ahead in downtown Quesnel!", so that was easy. Then a generic suburb, the corner of Heritage Trail and Settlers Ridge. I gambled on Edmonton but it was near Toronto.

Last edited by Trevor3; Jan 23, 2015 at 7:08 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 7:34 PM
Explorateur urbain

Not bad, 2 spots correctly guessed within 100m (without cheating!):

14566 points

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 7:51 PM
arf

This game has me absolutely in stitches laughing.

First picture. Suburbia being built somewhere on the Prairies. More north due to vegetation so I guess Warman, SK and it's just outside of Edmonton. Welcome to anywhere Canada.

Then I get the same picture, almost.

Then I got one I had before. 9.2m. 5000 points.

The I get THIS ROAD??? NFC, man. NFC.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 12:09 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
I suppose the way I play it would be considered 'cheating'. I wander around enough to try and find city/route markers/street/store signs to give me an idea of where I am. then I open Maps in a second window and narrow it down further.

It does mean that my guesses were all within metres of the actual location by the time I do make the guess. (I think the furthest I was off was 13km or so for a guess near Amherst)
I play similarly, poking around quite a bit in streetview in order to gather more clues about where I've been dropped - I find the detective work to be quite fun! I do however limit any external info gathering to scrolling around the same map you guess with. I figure if Geoguessr lets you do it on their own page, it must be legit!

Will post a map after my 5 rounds - so far it's dropped me in Ontario twice!

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 1:01 AM

Holy crap, I'm good at this. Most of mine have been outside Ontario, but I've gotten some within metres. It pays to know highway numbers, especially secondary ones, in other provinces.

Reminds me of the time I was on a bus trip from Ontario to PEI and I woke up in the morning in a place I'd never been to before and at first had no idea where I was. I guessed I was on NB Route 2 between Edmundston and Fredericton, and sure enough, I soon passed Florenceville.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 1:04 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

All I usually get are rural roads with nothing on them in flat, barely forested areas.

I see a house and lose my shit because it means I have a chance.

One I got badly wrong... I thought I recognized the actual street from having been there in Pinawa, Manitoba. But it was Sarnia, Ontario.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 1:15 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

I was pretty lucky in that I started inside or very close to a city/town in almost all my points and I'm familiar with the visual cues (landscape, architecture, signage) common in southern Ontario. Thought I was screwed for that rural Saskatchewan one until I found a highway sign and I happened to be where two primary routes were running together.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 3:05 AM

Of and on, you might come across the same location. However I came across the same location twice in a row. (Rounds 1 & 2)

https://geoguessr.com/challenge/7C0CWIYnY2fQnKMr

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 3:32 AM

Tried it. I think I did fine

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 3:44 AM

I wasn't as good with the world

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada