HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 7:50 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
Does anyone know what's up with Vanir and Metropolitan projects?

It's been close to 6 months and we haven't heard anything from either party regarding their new mixed-use development proposals. I thought they would have a rendering by now.
I’m not really holding my breath for either project. I think the Metropolitan could get built if the scope of the project is reduced in size.

Vanir is a pipe dream,

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 9:29 PM

Ground Floor Retail/Restaurant in New Buildings

The St. Anton building on 21st and L is converting some of their ground floor retail space to 4 live in commercial units.

Does anyone think we're at a saturation point of ground floor retail/restaurant space in the central city? If not, I think we have to be very close to it.

How would you like to see developers address this issue for all the proposals that are in the development stage? Do residential only buildings still pencil out for developers?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 9:36 PM

WOW! almost 2 weeks of no forum talk ,well lets see if anything come to fruition?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachornet View Post
The St. Anton building on 21st and L is converting some of their ground floor retail space to 4 live in commercial units.

Does anyone think we're at a saturation point of ground floor retail/restaurant space in the central city? If not, I think we have to be very close to it.

How would you like to see developers address this issue for all the proposals that are in the development stage? Do residential only buildings still pencil out for developers?
I think the problem with the St. Anton building is a poorly designed retail space coupled with a disadvantaged corner. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 6:54 PM

What is going in on the corner of 16 and H, across the old Clarion?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanadvocate View Post
What is going in on the corner of 16 and H, across the old Clarion?
https://h16midtown.com/

The old Clarion is also being redeveloped, into a new boutique hotel I believe. Edit: Found it - https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/ne...176978036.html

Unrelated, but I see a crane up now for the new state building on 12th and O:

https://www.dgs.ca.gov/dgs/Home/Sacr...tBuilding.aspx

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey View Post
https://h16midtown.com/

The old Clarion is also being redeveloped, into a new boutique hotel I believe. Edit: Found it - https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/ne...176978036.html

Unrelated, but I see a crane up now for the new state building on 12th and O:

https://www.dgs.ca.gov/dgs/Home/Sacr...tBuilding.aspx
And once the new state building is up, they will be demoing half the state capital... which seems crazy, but exciting.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 11:37 PM

Ahh I've been wondering what the plan was, so the workers currently in the Capitol annex will move to this O Street building until the new annex is built? I know the new annex already has funding allocated, is it going to be built on the same footprint as the old, directly east of the Capitol building itself?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey View Post
Ahh I've been wondering what the plan was, so the workers currently in the Capitol annex will move to this O Street building until the new annex is built? I know the new annex already has funding allocated, is it going to be built on the same footprint as the old, directly east of the Capitol building itself?
I don't know the specifics, if you try to piece together things that have been written over the last year from the business journal and the sac bee you only get about half of the picture. Maybe someone here can enlighten us further.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 6:56 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachornet View Post

We’ve been beyond the saturation point for a decade. I recall an architectural design conference when we had architects from San Diego warn Sacramento City politicians and developers to avoid this very problem by including more ground floor residential instead of retail in order to animate the ground level. The point was to avoid empty storefronts or too many bail bond shops, tattooo shops, cannabis shops (today) or another Starbucks.

I think it’s a great idea.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 9:46 PM

Huge for development in the Railyards:

Billionaire Burkle to join Sacramento Republic FC. Is a Major League Soccer spot next?

"Besides taking over the team, Burkle has tentatively agreed to buy Republic FC’s proposed MLS stadium site at the downtown railyard, plus 14 adjacent acres to develop an entertainment district. The land is owned by a company controlled by developer Larry Kelley, a minority owner of Republic FC.

“This larger purchase creates endless possibilities for expediting the build-out of the railyard,” the mayor said, comparing it to the Downtown Commons entertainment complex taking shape around Golden 1 Center.

Burkle’s involvement in Republic FC turns around an effort that once seemed to be a sure thing, but grew increasingly dim in the past year as other cities secured MLS expansion teams. Steinberg, Burkle and Republic FC officials are expected to visit Garber next month at league headquarters in New York.

It’s unknown how much money Burkle is prepared to pour into Republic FC. The MLS expansion fee is expected to cost $150 million. Ben Gumpert, president and chief operating officer of Republic FC, said the team’s proposed new stadium could run well over $250 million. Along with the adjacent land development, the entire deal could come to nearly $1 billion, Gumpert said, although that would represent the combined resources of multiple investors, not just Burkle."

All hinges on getting the green light from MLS, but this is huuuuge for getting the Railyards going.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 1:15 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGeoNerd View Post
Huge for development in the Railyards:

Billionaire Burkle to join Sacramento Republic FC. Is a Major League Soccer spot next?

"Besides taking over the team, Burkle has tentatively agreed to buy Republic FC’s proposed MLS stadium site at the downtown railyard, plus 14 adjacent acres to develop an entertainment district. The land is owned by a company controlled by developer Larry Kelley, a minority owner of Republic FC.

“This larger purchase creates endless possibilities for expediting the build-out of the railyard,” the mayor said, comparing it to the Downtown Commons entertainment complex taking shape around Golden 1 Center.

Burkle’s involvement in Republic FC turns around an effort that once seemed to be a sure thing, but grew increasingly dim in the past year as other cities secured MLS expansion teams. Steinberg, Burkle and Republic FC officials are expected to visit Garber next month at league headquarters in New York.

It’s unknown how much money Burkle is prepared to pour into Republic FC. The MLS expansion fee is expected to cost $150 million. Ben Gumpert, president and chief operating officer of Republic FC, said the team’s proposed new stadium could run well over $250 million. Along with the adjacent land development, the entire deal could come to nearly $1 billion, Gumpert said, although that would represent the combined resources of multiple investors, not just Burkle."

All hinges on getting the green light from MLS, but this is huuuuge for getting the Railyards going.

That is exciting if for no other reason than it again shows a willingness from outside big investors to pour their money into Sacramento (Ranadive, the Jacobs brothers Mark Mastrov and now Burkle.) Whether or not Sacramento can beat out St. Louis, Phoenix and San Diego to secure the remaining MSL expansion team remains to be seen. Yet even if what is eventually built in the rail yards is a 14,000 seat permanent / expandable USL soccer stadium, it could still be something special like a day at the River Cat’s Raley Field. I hate baseball but I love the experience of that ballpark (even though i rarely pay attention to the game).

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 3:41 AM

Here's some recent news on that 29 story state tower from the Bee:
https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...rendingstories

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 3:46 AM

Here's some news off KCRA on what to expect on the railyards from out local leaders:
https://www.kcra.com/article/railyar...xpect/25994893

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 3:39 PM

This thing is starting to get some traction

Sacramento might get a 29-story tower for long-suffering California tax collectors

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...#storylink=cpy

Again I rather have it built within the Central Business District, the railyards near the proposed soccer stadium or in the West Sacramento. I'm not really a fan of a skyscraper in the middle of nowhere. But whatever.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleScott View Post
Here's some recent news on that 29 story state tower from the Bee:
https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...rendingstories
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
This thing is starting to get some traction

Sacramento might get a 29-story tower for long-suffering California tax collectors

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...#storylink=cpy

Again I rather have it built within the Central Business District, the railyards near the proposed soccer stadium or in the West Sacramento. I'm not really a fan of a skyscraper in the middle of nowhere. But whatever.
Are there actual renderings in the article? It's behind a pay wall... What does it show/say?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Are there actual renderings in the article? It's behind a pay wall... What does it show/say?
No rendering yet, perhaps later on in the year.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
I WAS ASKING FOR RENDERINGS LIKE A MONTH AGO..

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novatone82 View Post
I WAS ASKING FOR RENDERINGS LIKE A MONTH AGO..
Because there are no renderings yet. The process is just now in motion. So we will have to wait.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 8:35 PM

According to Jason Kenney, deputy director of DGS’ real estate services division.

Quote:
Building 29 stories is more of a pie-in-the-sky concept... In reality, there will probably be nothing as large as that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area