HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 28, 2011, 8:09 PM
Liberator.

Location: San Antonio,(born) Arlington Heights, Ill.(Chicagoland)
San Antonio | Downtown Grocery Store News

max7

I think that if San Antonio is going to build a grocery store downtown it should allow H.E.B. to build a Central Market, and not just another regular H.E.B. or H.E.B Plus! People downtown I think want a grocery store where they can not only shop for all kinds of groceries, but also be able to eat quality food in an indoor/outdoor restaurant setting that serves all kinds of foods from around the world. It should also be a grocery store that once built should look and feel unique from the inside and outside. Just like I said on a previous post: "If you build not just another generic building, but an attractive and well-constructed one, they will come, and not just come, but come back over and over again because it will be a unique experience to shop downtown." In addition, I think that people will be attracted to shop and eat downtown simply because it will be an experience that is unique and convenient for many that will want to spent time downtown seven days a week. If it is built, I plan to patronize it myself even if I don't live downtown.

Here are a couple of other opinions from readers giving their own opinions about a grocery store downtown in the San Antonio Express News.

m_mroz

6:55 AM on May 28, 2011

One of the best experiences I have had grocery shopping is at the Whole Food Store at 6th and Lamar in Austin. It is a regional magnet and a showcase for Whole Foods. Austin is the world headquarters for Whole Foods and both are proud of the relationship.

H-E-B has the opportunity to do the same thing with downtown San Antonio. Create a destination store that rivals the Whole Foods store at Lamar & 6th in Austin. Being close to H-E-B's headquarters, vendors would delight in showcasing their new products and creating a powerful and exciting atmosphere for San Antonio Shoppers.

RBearSAT

6:04 AM on May 28, 2011

Oops, looks like someone may have jumped the gun.

One point to note in the article that seems to overlook one aspect regarding residential support of a downtown store is that the store would actually serve more than the 4,500 residents living downtown.

If the store is place at the rumored location it would also serve the neighborhoods of King William, Lavaca and South Flores, probably putting it at the level required. Most people overlook those areas when considering a downtown store but those areas are a part of the mix and are growing.

BTW, if you look at the income in all those areas I think you'll find it can easily support a store in the area.

Read more: www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/City-apologizes-to-H-E-B-over-premature-notice-1399502.php#ixzz1Ng5WJEiu"]http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/City-apologizes-to-H-E-B-over-premature-notice-1399502.php#ixzz1Ng5WJEiu"]www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/City-apologizes-to-H-E-B-over-premature-notice-1399502.php#ixzz1Ng5WJEiu

Go Spurs (NBA) , Go Talons (arena football) , Go Scorpions (soccer) , Go UTSA Roadrunners (college football) , Go Rampage (hockey)

Last edited by max7; May 28, 2011 at 9:28 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 4:51 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

No offense max, and I appreciate your enthusiasm for a grocery store downtown, but this could have been posted in the downtown thread or in this thread you created about a downtown grocery store or this thread about a downtown grocery store. No need to create an entirely new thread for this particular topic.

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 11:40 PM
JACKinBeantown

I respectfully disagree... I say let the grocery store discussion have its own thread. That way those who want to read about it can, and know exactly where to go to find it. And those who don't can avoid it. Everybody's happy.

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 2:59 AM
Meh

Max, maybe you should post the Express-News article in this thread:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=173523

Do we really need/want 3 threads on this topic?

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio