HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 11:13 PM

Little sympathy for someone who isn't willing to do proper due diligence or critical thinking before slapping down probably a quarter million dollars on a condo that doesn't suit his, his dog's or his friend's vehicle's needs.

Come on.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 12:00 AM

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 12:03 AM

Agreed...all of it! What a waste of time and resources, not to mention a complete abuse of process.

Anyway, in other news, Centretown News had an article about the three groups bidding on the tower development. Here's the link:
http://www.centretownnews.ca/index.p...4522&Itemid=97

As most had suspected, the group including Groupe Germaine is hoping to build a hotel and condo:

Quote:
The three shortlisted groups are Montreal-based EBC Inc., DevMcGill and Groupe Germain; Greater Toronto Area-based Mizrahi Developments and Bondfield Construction Company; and the District Development Group, which consists of Montreal-based Broccolini and Ottawa-based Moriyama & Teshima Architects.

Nicolas Rancourt, EBC’s special projects director says the Arts Court location has “a lot of potential.”

His group wants to build a hotel and condos as a part of the development.

“Having a hotel would be a nice compliment with the art. I think the art gallery will generate a lot of traffic to the hotel and vice versa,” he says.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 12:55 AM

There's a model of the Arts Court project in this video.

Quote:
Ottawa Art Gallery opens new annex at City Hall

The Ottawa Art Gallery held an opening Wednesday night for a new annex at City Hall, in the space that was formerly reserved for the city’s exhibitions. (Another space, just down the hall, has opened as Karsh-Masson Gallery, a city-run space that was until recent in the ByWard Market.)

The new annex is temporary, for a couple of years until the OAG gets its new space once the redevelopment project at Arts Court is complete. For now the annex features paintings by members of the Group of Seven, and other works from the gallery’s Firestone Collection.

Here’s a short video from the event . . .

Video Link
http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2014/...ost=v2#content

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 8:54 PM
National Capital Region

Staff report - BC Inc., DevMcGill and Groupe Germain recommended as preferred propoennt
http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/agdoc...&itemid=319179

https://twitter.com/mpearson78/statu...64240757850112

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 8:56 PM
National Capital Region

This Proponent is proposing a mixed-use podium and tower for the Development Rights at 60-70 Waller Street in the form of a 21-storey mixed-use stratified building envelope that will include a Le Germain boutique-hotel on the first twelve (12) floors and residential condominium units on the remaining upper floors

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 11:50 PM

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Aug 27, 2015 at 6:03 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 3:35 AM

I like it. I love how it looks from Daly Avenue. But I wish this building was allowed to have more of an impact on our skyline. It looks kinda stumpy from uOttawa. It should be the tallest building in the area. But that ship has sailed. Overall it looks good.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 11:46 AM

^ Yeah, I agree. Looks great from Daly, but definitely wish it stood out more in the skyline.

Like Defishel, I'm really curious to know what the other proposals were. Specifically, I'm interested in the Mizrahi proposal...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 2:38 PM

What I love:
-That something actually seems to be moving for this site and project
-The podium look very nice and inviting with all the glass
-The large multicolor mural and artsy colorful piece

What I don't like as much:
-The height; it's pretty small for the area and this exciting project
-The tower part itself is not very exciting
-I kind of wish the tower part and the colorful art was more towards Mackenzie King than Daly as to me, it's the nicest part but it won't as visible. Also if the tower was closer to Mackenzie King it would've been more centered between DMS and Les Suites hotel, now it's flack-bang against Les Suites and the CP canyons.

All in all, still a good proposal and design and will be an exciting time for the area!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
What I love:
-That something actually seems to be moving for this site and project
-The podium look very nice and inviting with all the glass
-The large multicolor mural and artsy colorful piece

What I don't like as much:
-The height; it's pretty small for the area and this exciting project
-The tower part itself is not very exciting
-I kind of wish the tower part and the colorful art was more towards Mackenzie King than Daly as to me, it's the nicest part but it won't as visible. Also if the tower was closer to Mackenzie King it would've been more centered between DMS and Les Suites hotel, now it's flack-bang against Les Suites and the CP canyons.

All in all, still a good proposal and design and will be an exciting time for the area!
Perhaps the best part is that it will go a long way towards blocking out Les Suites, and CP canyon from the west.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 4:28 PM

I'd like a little more colour and height (obviously), but all in all a decent proposal.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 4:51 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

City staff recommend Quebec consortium for Ottawa Art Gallery project

OBJ Staff
Published on August 27, 2014

City staff are recommending council approve a consortium of three Quebec-based companies to complete the Ottawa Art Gallery Expansion and Arts Court Redevelopment Project.

In a release issued Monday, the city said the team of EBC Inc., DevMcGill and Groupe Germain came out on top “following a rigorous competitive procurement process which was overseen by an external fairness commissioner.”

EBC Inc. is active in the buildings, infrastructure and mining sectors, DevMcGill in condominiums and Groupe Germain owns and operates hotels across the country. The company is currently building a new hotel on Slater Street.

The site will have a 21-storey mixed-use tower at 60-70 Waller St. The first 12 floors will house a boutique hotel with residential condos on the higher floors.

Mayor Jim Watson called the staff recommendation another exciting step for the project.

“This magnificent project will create jobs, attract visitors to our city and provide a revitalized downtown space to showcase Ottawa’s inspiring and talented arts community,” he said in a statement.

The project will see more than $100 million invested to rejuvenate the area. The city is spending $41.68 million, with the private sector contributing $60 million.

Last November the city voted in favour of the funding and starting the procurement process for the project. The venue will include a new and larger Ottawa Art Gallery, a 250-seat multi-purpose and film screening room, a new 120-seat theatre and four classrooms for the University of Ottawa.

The gallery’s former space in Arts Court will be repurposed and the old and new buildings will be connected on four floors to create and integrated and accessible facility, the city said.

“This is exciting news for the region’s local arts and culture enthusiasts, but even more than that the project is welcome news for surrounding businesses and services,” Rideau-Vanier Ward Coun. Mathieu Fleury said in a statement. “The new development will bring people into the area from across the city, bolstering economic development in Ottawa’s core.”

http://www.obj.ca/Local/City-Hall/20...lery-project/1

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 8:05 PM

Going to be great with the homeless shelter right across the street.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster View Post
Not exactly unusual in downtown Ottawa.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
So, shall we abandon the area? How many blocks?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 12:29 AM

I walked by the mission hundreds of times in my undergrad. I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with it.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 5:08 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Art gallery expansion gets committee OK

Matthew Pearson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: September 2, 2014, Last Updated: September 2, 2014 12:52 PM EDT

The city’s finance committee has endorsed a $100-million plan to expand the Ottawa Art Gallery and redevelop the Arts Court.

It’s also given the art gallery permission to sell naming rights for its new building to help raise $2.5 million — the gallery’s share of the $3.2 million community partners have committed to raise for the project.

A consortium of three Quebec-based firms — EBC Inc., DevMcGill and Groupe Germain — will complete the project, which is set to include a 21-storey mixed-use tower at 60-70 Waller St., a 250-seat multi-purpose and film-screening room, and a 120-seat theatre and four classrooms for the University of Ottawa.

The first 12 storeys of the tower will be operated as a boutique hotel, while the upper eight storeys will be condominiums. There will also be two storeys of underground parking.

Construction is slated to begin in late December, with completion of the Ottawa Art Gallery and University of Ottawa spaces anticipated for February 2017. The remaining pieces are expected to be completed later that year.

Space in the Arts Court vacated by the gallery will also be repurposed and the old and new buildings will be connected on four floors.

Representatives from arts organizations told the committee they are pleased the long-awaited redevelopment is moving ahead.

“We can’t wait to get started on the project. . . . Let’s get at ‘er,” said Penny McCann, director of SAW Video.

mpearson@ottawacitizen.com
Twitter.com/mpearson78

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...s-committee-ok

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 6:52 PM

^ Eight floors of condos? Isn't that a bit... underwhelming. What is that going to be; 25-50 units?

Shouldn't they build as like most new projects; 17-27 floors? I know they couldn't have done 27 residential + 12 for the hotel because of height limits but couldn't they have done at least 15 floors of condos and 12 for the hotel?

A bit of a waste it seems... Oh well... still looks like a nice project and good for the area

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 1:46 PM

Quote:
And?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa