HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 7:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Isn't there a run-off election when that happens?
My mistake. I meant 50/50 with one of those being split 2 or 3 way by the challengers.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 9:55 AM

West Side growth spurs Jewel site

Full-size grocery slated for Fulton River District

Jewel Food Stores is seeking to profit from the residential boom on Chicago's Near West Side — and also grab business from rival Dominick's Finer Foods LLC — by opening a full-size grocery in the Fulton River District.
Minneapolis-based SuperValu Inc., which owns Jewel, plans to break ground this spring on a 2.6-acre site at the southwest corner of Kinzie Street and Desplaines Avenue, part of a broader rollout of Jewels in the area (Crain's, Oct. 2).

The 65,000-square-foot store, slated to open in spring 2008, is expected to draw customers not only from the Fulton River District but River West and the West Loop.

The Fulton River neighborhood has seen more than 1,500 townhouse, condominium and rental units built in the past five years. And nearly 3,000 more units are under construction or planned in the area, including a six-building, 2,400-unit development by Fifield Cos., and three buildings with a total of 210 units by RDM Development & Investment LLC.

'WAITING A LONG TIME'

A full-size Jewel/Osco can expect to draw customers from the entire West Loop, says James Kutill, a vice-president with Appraisal Research Counselors, a Chicago real estate consultancy. The West Loop, bounded by the Chicago River on the east, the Kennedy Expressway west, Roosevelt Road south and Ohio Street north, has added 11,500 residential units over the past 15 years, with potential for 3,600 more in the next two years, he says.

"The numbers suggest the area would support a full-size grocery store," he says.

The two closest full-size groceries, owned by Dominick's, are less than a mile away each, one at Madison Avenue and Halsted Street in the West Loop and the other at Grand Avenue and Columbus Drive in Streeterville. "Those would be the closest competitors. But I think this will affect any grocery store within a 15-minute drive," Mr. Kutill says.

Nearby residents say a local grocery is long overdue. "We've been waiting a long time. The area is growing rapidly and we need retail," says Linda Ewing, president of the Fulton River District Assn., a local civic group. "We want to develop it into a walking neighborhood."

The store will have two levels: The main floor will be 45,500 square feet and built to meet the rising grade of Desplaines. A lower level will house loading docks, offices, storage and a food-preparation area.

CHALLENGING SITE

SuperValu also is planning to create a walkway connecting the store to one of the RDM condo buildings nearby. The walkway could house up to 9,000 square feet of additional retail, says Joseph McKeska, vice-president of store development for SuperValu.

The exterior of the Jewel/Osco will be finished in limestone, and there will be an outdoor deck with seating overlooking a planned city park. The building also will have an environmentally friendly "green roof" filled with foliage.
Mr. McKeska acknowledges that the $19-million project is more challenging than construction of most of the area's 175 Jewel/Osco stores.

The location is about one-fourth the size of the typical eight-to-10-acre development site, and the property was more expensive, he says. Additionally, 90-foot-long caissons will have to be driven into the ground to elevate the store and a parking deck 24 feet above grade level. The additional height leaves room for a proposed high-speed rail line that may someday connect the Loop to O'Hare International Airport. Chicago, which owns the right-of-way for the rail line, created a $4-million tax-increment financing district to compensate Jewel/Osco for the additional construction expense.

"We've had to be more creative with this project than our typical suburban store," Mr. McKeska says.

A rendering shows what the River West Jewel will look like.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 10:28 AM
Registered

^ I don't mind the look of the new Jewel stores, but you do sometimes wish they'd just make them all look different if they're bothering to hire an architect.

Even if the O'Hare express never gets built, it is good to see the city moving to protect rights of way that might be used somehow in the future.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 3:08 PM
Urbane observer

I think the right of way being protected is actually for the Clinton Street subway connection, rather than the Airport Express project.

And when are caissons "driven into the ground?"

Last edited by Mr Downtown; Feb 6, 2007 at 3:26 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
West Side growth spurs Jewel site
'WAITING A LONG TIME'

A full-size Jewel/Osco can expect to draw customers from the entire West Loop, says James Kutill, a vice-president with Appraisal Research Counselors, a Chicago real estate consultancy. The West Loop, bounded by the Chicago River on the east, the Kennedy Expressway west, Roosevelt Road south and Ohio Street north, has added 11,500 residential units over the past 15 years, with potential for 3,600 more in the next two years, he says.

"The numbers suggest the area would support a full-size grocery store," he says.

The two closest full-size groceries, owned by Dominick's, are less than a mile away each, one at Madison Avenue and Halsted Street in the West Loop and the other at Grand Avenue and Columbus Drive in Streeterville. "Those would be the closest competitors. But I think this will affect any grocery store within a 15-minute drive," Mr. Kutill says.

Nearby residents say a local grocery is long overdue. "We've been waiting a long time. The area is growing rapidly and we need retail," says Linda Ewing, president of the Fulton River District Assn., a local civic group. "We want to develop it into a walking neighborhood."
Typical real estate person I live in the area and walk to the Dominick's at Skybridge. I'm not the only one, either. Just eyeballing it tells me that at least 1/3rd of that store is pedestrian shoppers. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 50% either. I see a lot of people walking with Dominick's bags up in the area of this Jewel store too.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 4:24 PM

Also, I talked to someone at Fifield yesterday, and I was told that the tower(s) at kinzie between Jefferson and Clinton will break ground in October of this year.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 12:12 AM

These so called retail and real estate experts dont know much. Most people would rather walk to these grocery stores. Gold Coast, Streeterville, West Loop.
South Loop. The new Dominicks on Grand draws ALOT of pedestrians carrying grocery bags to LakeShore East, because they dont have a store yet.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Referring to the article posted above by Hoju:

That Patrick Levar guy seems like such a shmuck. Hopefully he gets ousted
Thats my current Alderman, and I can't stand him. He hates density, and refuses to draft a comprehensive plan for the community; which of course allows him to pander for votes on every project which requires a zoning change or varriance. As soon as someone complains, which always happens, the project must be dumbed down a notch. He goes even farther that and tried to block a developer from building a four-flat as of right under existing zoning by blocking the building permit untill the city's law dept. told him he was out of line. He wanted to downzone the entire stretch of Milwaukee Avenue from Irving to Devon giving him even more political pandering, as any new developement would then require zoning adjustments.

Recently he ordered the city to demolish a couple of houses across from the Metra station, but refuses to sell the lot untill he sees how the new condo flats next door mesh with the neighborhood. Even though developers are making offers for the site to build low-rise condos, he would rather have a vacant lot in the center of the community because he hates multi-family housing. Another site across from the Metra station, formerly a concrete plant sat abondonded for a long time as well because even though developers came forward with plenty of offers, he would not approve of anything other than single family homes. Across the street from the huge transit center! What a waste of space.

He has no leadership skills or vision, he is a flip-flopper whom wants to keep the status quo, as if this ward is destine to be placed in a snowglobe. Its real sad to call that POS strip mall at six corners his best accomplishment. That thing is a suburban trash eyesore that further devistated the retail in Six Corners.

Rumor has also been going around that Lavar does not use up his allotment of menu money from the city, and turns the remainder back into city hall.

Last month Lavar's minions were out putting up ugly, enormous bill-board size campaign signs in people's yards. There are roughly 4' by 8', almost as wide as Lavar's fat ass.

So, you can bet your ass that I will be not be voting for him; in fact my family up here signed a petition to put Boyke on the ballot. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I honestly doubt he will win.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
He has no leadership skills or vision, he is a flip-flopper whom wants to keep the status quo, as if this ward is destine to be placed in a snowglobe. Its real sad to call that POS strip mall at six corners his best accomplishment. That thing is a suburban trash eyesore that further devistated the retail in Six Corners.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
Typical real estate person I live in the area and walk to the Dominick's at Skybridge. I'm not the only one, either. Just eyeballing it tells me that at least 1/3rd of that store is pedestrian shoppers. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 50% either. I see a lot of people walking with Dominick's bags up in the area of this Jewel store too.
Yeah no kidding. I used to live in Presidential Towers and was really happy when the Dominick's in Skybridge opened because the Presidentail Marketplace is over priced. I know plenty of other residents which did the same, and started walking over the Kennedy for groceries.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 3:52 AM
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
^^ Wow! This is fairly big news - I had heard rumors that he was going to be moving but now to have confirmation - this is pretty exciting!
this is big news. While Bruce isn't as strong in actual design as some other noteable chicago design firms (mainly Segura, 3st, Studio Blue and SamataMason), his thinking is perhaps tops. Especially when mixing in urban design issues.

He'll join a vastly improving Chicago design community.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
Thats my current Alderman, and I can't stand him. He hates density, and refuses to draft a comprehensive plan for the community; which of course allows him to pander for votes on every project which requires a zoning change or varriance. As soon as someone complains, which always happens, the project must be dumbed down a notch. He goes even farther that and tried to block a developer from building a four-flat as of right under existing zoning by blocking the building permit untill the city's law dept. told him he was out of line. He wanted to downzone the entire stretch of Milwaukee Avenue from Irving to Devon giving him even more political pandering, as any new developement would then require zoning adjustments.

Recently he ordered the city to demolish a couple of houses across from the Metra station, but refuses to sell the lot untill he sees how the new condo flats next door mesh with the neighborhood. Even though developers are making offers for the site to build low-rise condos, he would rather have a vacant lot in the center of the community because he hates multi-family housing. Another site across from the Metra station, formerly a concrete plant sat abondonded for a long time as well because even though developers came forward with plenty of offers, he would not approve of anything other than single family homes. Across the street from the huge transit center! What a waste of space.

Rumor has also been going around that Lavar does not use up his allotment of menu money from the city, and turns the remainder back into city hall.

Last month Lavar's minions were out putting up ugly, enormous bill-board size campaign signs in people's yards. There are roughly 4' by 8', almost as wide as Lavar's fat ass.

So, you can bet your ass that I will be not be voting for him; in fact my family up here signed a petition to put Boyke on the ballot. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I honestly doubt he will win.
Sounds like he's as bad as they come. When is the election? And what is his expected majority? Maybe we could get a grassroots thing going to put this guy out of a job.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
And this genius real estate person also isn't aware that there's a Jewel at Grand Plaza (significantly closer than Streeterville).

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 8:17 PM
Urbane observer

Not full-size, and not technically a Jewel. It's "Grand Plaza Market/by Jewel-Osco."

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Not full-size, and not technically a Jewel. It's "Grand Plaza Market/by Jewel-Osco."
^That may be true, but it is still a grocery store owned by Jewel that people go to instead of the two stores mentioned because it is closer than those two (I am one of those people). For this reason, the article or the source should have mentioned it, and they lose a tad of credibility by failing to do so.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 8:31 PM

^ Yeah but that article reads more like a press release, so I wouldn't expect it to be the epitome of objectivity and fact-checking.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 8:35 PM

Haha You got that right. Besides, I am enthusiastic about this new Jewel and the continued development of this neighborhood. Hopefully we will see something in the Metra Market at some point...does anyone have any updates on this? Or whether Cassidy Tires is planning on remaining on Canal street, between Fulton and Kinzie?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 9:42 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukecuj View Post
The National Vietnam Veterans Art Museum, which opened in 1996 with more than $1 million in city subsidies, is deep in debt and looking for a way to stay open at 1801 S. Indiana.
This is sad. This museum is PHENOMENAL. Some of the most meaningful art I've ever seen. I bet if a bunc of veterans show up and lobby this thing would have no problem being approved.

This museum is too great to lose.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukecuj View Post
Museum sings for its supper, strikes sour note with neighbors

February 7, 2007
BY DAVID ROEDER Sun-Times Columnist

The idea is causing problems with a recently formed civic group, the Prairie District Neighborhood Alliance. The organization's treasurer, Jeffery Ayersman, forwarded to the Sun-Times e-mails he's sent to the city questioning whether the museum's plans abide by terms of the museum's redevelopment deal. The city gave the museum the roughly 29,000-square-foot building with the requirement that its use remain "compatible with the nature and character of the Prairie Avenue Historic District." Ayersman couldn't be reached for followup questions.

The neighbors are worried that a banquet hall will cause problems with traffic and late-night partygoers.

The Prairie District group organized itself to oppose what it views as intrusive condo towers for the area, so Keepman expressed surprise his museum has become a target. "We're actually trying to do something good for the neighborhood," he said.
They should rename the Prairie District Neighborhood Alliance to POE (People Opposed to Everything).

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 3:15 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
They should rename the Prairie District Neighborhood Alliance to POE (People Opposed to Everything).
Absolutely - although they deny it, this group is hardcore NIMBY. The fact is there is a broad spectrum in this city as far as "community groups' " NIMBYness, and this one falls off the end of that spectrum...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development