HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 7:09 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Cool Former Concordia University Site Redevelopment

With so much construction happening in the central core, alot of large projects are being overlooked. I figured we should have a thread dedicated to the construction of the old Concordia university.

Blue crane is up but I don't have any pics if anybody goes by that area please take some pics if you can...

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 11:19 PM

The trophy

Anybody know when the Hyatt breaks ground? This tower is going to be the best hotel outside of downtown no doubt.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 12:46 AM

I was so happy to see that dorm come down by I 35. It was ugly the day it went up!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 2:40 AM

I saw all this twisted metal in heaps around the base of that crane when I drive by this past weekend. Great photo op! Haven't gotten a chance to go by there yet. Hope it's still there.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 3:03 AM
Meh

Does anyone know if there are any plans to remove the church on (or adjacent?) to the Concordia Campus? I looked at Concordia's website, and it showed the church as being part of their campus, at least it was on their map. But I'm not sure if it's a private church or not. It looks like it is. I'd like to see it saved. I'm not religious, but I've always been fond of it. I sent them an email months ago, but I didn't get an answer back. It's located at Red River Street & Concordia Avenue (37th Street).

It's this one, the St. Paul Lutheran Church.
http://www.stpaulaustin.org/

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 3:27 AM

The church is not part of the Concordia site, and the current plans do not include the church site. However, I have heard that church membership has been down, and I also heard that EAIG approached the church at some point...

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 2:08 PM

I drove by the other day and noticed all the rubble, but what stood out to me was that the scoreboard from the baseball stadium is still up. Wonder why the didn't tear that down with everything else.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 5:44 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoby13 View Post
I drove by the other day and noticed all the rubble, but what stood out to me was that the scoreboard from the baseball stadium is still up. Wonder why the didn't tear that down with everything else.
It will likely get taken down rather than torn down. That has value and could either be sold or donated to another institution/school district. Orrrr, it could be going with Concordia so that their new baseball studium will have a scoreboard.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priller View Post
I saw all this twisted metal in heaps around the base of that crane when I drive by this past weekend. Great photo op! Haven't gotten a chance to go by there yet. Hope it's still there.
That was really cool! We thought it looked better than the building did!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 8:16 AM
Meh

A few shots from I-35 on Saturday 7/26/08.

Texas Monthly Office Building columns.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 5:08 PM
passion for patterns

They aren't demolishing the historical buildings of Concordia (i.e. the only decent stuff worth keeping), are they?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 5:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
They aren't demolishing the historical buildings of Concordia (i.e. the only decent stuff worth keeping), are they?
I believe the entire site is to be demolished, and much of it already has been. There was some effort made to save Kilian Hall, but the demo permit was granted in early 2007.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 4:19 PM
Meh

Photos from 8/2/08.

Two shots I took this past Saturday from I-35. Construction is moving along.

You can see they've gotten more columns up and some more supports in front of the tower crane from a week ago.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 7:17 PM
Austinite

[Austin] - University Park Development

There may already be a dedicated thread to Austin's East Avenue development, but I thought I'd start one anyway. Even with the national and regional economy as it is, the development appears to be moving forward at full speed.

http://www.eastave.net

See the article below for the latest updates and renderings; from Community Impact Newspaper - January 2009 Central Austin Edition

http://www.impactnews.com/central-au...2943?task=view

East Avenue development grows on Neighborhood

Written by Patrick Brendel Friday, 16 January 2009

Residents of the Hancock Neighborhood in Central Austin recognize the ramifications of transforming the 23-acre former campus of Concordia University into a $750 million urban center with buildings rising more than 100 feet above the ground. However, a conciliatory approach by developers has neighbors looking forward to the creation of new shopping, restaurant and office space within walking distance of their homes.

In early 2007, neighbors protested initial East Avenue development plans, calling for several buildings of nearly 300 feet in height on nine blocks just north of the University of Texas, said Bart Whatley, retiring president of the Hancock Neighborhood Association.
“It was a pretty bold request,” said Whatley, an architect.

Location, location, location

Though a national recession is holding back some Austin projects, the 2.5 million sq. ft. East Avenue development is progressing on schedule, lead developer Andy Sarwal said, crediting that to its proximity to UT, St. David’s Medical Center and state government — three entities expected to thrive despite the downturn.

“There couldn’t be a better place for it, frankly. The location screams for something like this,” Sarwal said.
To the north of East Avenue is the booming, sprawling Mueller Development. Sarwal described it as a locomotive and his development, by comparison, a scooter.
“But it’s a nice, expensive scooter,” he said. “We’re in between them and downtown. And that’s where we want to be.”

Striking a compromise

Neighbors argued that Planned Unit Development zoning was allowing developers to construct massive structures without regard for nearby residents. Sarwal does not like to talk about that period of strife, simply saying his East Avenue Investment Group follows the “3 Cs”: culture, community and conservation.

His group hired an attorney to represent the neighbors and brought on ROMA Design Group as a third-party mediator. As a result of that process, East Avenue IG scaled down the project and placed the largest buildings away from existing homes.

“I think they came up with something more responsible to the community and the surroundings,” Whatley said.
Green building practices helped developers win over neighbors. The old Concordia University buildings on site were dismantled, rather than demolished. Developers encouraged neighbors to retrieve old bricks to reuse in their homes. They also donated building materials to local schools and nonprofits like Habitat for Humanity and reused materials in the new development.

Sarwal said 85 percent of the building materials that made up Concordia have been recycled. For example, pulverized concrete from the old structures will compose much of the new streets in the development.
“In the age we live in, it’s increasingly more important not to take for granted things like that. We aren’t trying to fill up the landfill,” Sarwal said.

Green approach

The entire East Avenue development should be complete by summer 2010, he said. When finished, East Avenue will have 1,450 residential units, 210 hotel rooms, 600,000 sq. ft. of office space, 325,000 sq. ft. of retail space and two parks. Developers are aiming to garner LEED green certification not just for the buildings, but for the entire project. If they are successful, East Avenue will be one of the first ever to earn that designation site wide.

Lying beneath the concrete of the development and its namesake corridor will be East Avenue’s secret gem, and another environmentally friendly first: an underground water runoff detention and filtration system.

To meet environmental standards, most projects have big surface ponds. Instead, a subterranean river will flow beneath East Avenue into underground detention tanks and a large pond. The water will undergo treatment and cleaning before being returned to the environment.

Construction underway

In the coming months, passersby will notice the taller buildings rising first, followed by the smaller structures which can be built at a much more rapid pace. Construction has already begun on a 17-story, Hyatt-brand hotel, Andaz; an eight-story office building that will be the new home for Texas Monthly magazine; and a 64-foot, 315-unit AMLI apartment complex.

The first floor of every building except Andaz will have retail space leased by East Avenue IG. Developers are in talks to attract a higher-end, locally owned movie theater; several restaurants, including two that serve Tex-Mex and American bistro-type cuisine; a coffee house; and a specialty grocer, which will not be a Whole Foods. The development will also have medical offices for rent and townhouses for individuals to buy.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 7:25 PM
Austinite

More Renderings (and associated captions), from East Avenue development website

http://www.eastave.net/gallery/gallery.htm

Office space at East Avenue will be anchored by Texas Monthly's new headquarters.

View of offices from the west.

View beyond the Hyatt Andaz Hotel, revealing downtown Austin to the south.

Life at East Avenue reflects a Texas hill country influence.

Life at East Avenue, looking north.

East Avenue street life, looking south.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 8:10 PM
Meh

Thanks for posting that. I don't usually read that newspaper, so I'm glad you caught it. Lots of goodies in there.

In that aerial photo with the lettered sites, you can see they've started work on the St. David's office building too. That one is supposed to be 125 feet with 8 floors. There's going to be a significant grouping of buildings there once it's all done.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 8:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
More Renderings (and associated captions), from East Avenue development website

East Avenue street life, looking south.
[/FONT]

Looks like a Jungle with all those trees and the color of the buildings.

Its a nice developement though.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 11:26 PM

I met Andy Sarwal and I can honestly say that he is a major a**hole, but nevertheless, he has a great vison and this is an awesome development

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 11:56 PM

should be a great development once complete, jungle and all

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 12:06 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwill89 View Post
I met Andy Sarwal and I can honestly say that he is a major a**hole, but nevertheless, he has a great vison and this is an awesome development
I had tried to get some info (building heights) for the project. A colleague of his called him a nice guy, and forwarded his email address to me. I have still not gotten an email back from Mr. Sarwal. Hmm. At least this article hints at what we can expect heightwise.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin