HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 3:40 PM
E pluribus unum

Great photos! Sort of reminds me of parts of the Queensgate neighborhood in Cincinnati

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 7:05 PM

I used what I thought was StL's last census challenge and its established geographic area and contrasted that to what I know is KC's last census challenge combined with US Census data by tract and zip code for 70 contiguous square miles of KC south of the Missouri river and west of I-435.

You are correct that the east KC is very like the N. side of StL in terms of depopulation. The West side is also a lot like South City in terms of it's cohesion. StL is larger and denser, and that's cool, but KC isn't quite the poster child for low density sprawl most people would like to paint it as. In fact it's pretty comparable to most other midwestern cities, yours included. Sorry if that bruises the old "east coast" ego.

Wary yourself away, though, if it suits your fancy.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 7:40 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingon View Post
StL is larger and denser, and that's cool, but KC isn't quite the poster child for low density sprawl most people would like to paint it as. In fact it's pretty comparable to most other midwestern cities, yours included.
I think you read way too much into my observations of Kansas City being "laid back and spread out." It was admittedly a poor choice of words in the context of how KC is often misrepresented, but I was speaking from the point of view of when KC was booming and the urban core we now see was taking shape ... and when St. Louis, Cincy, and Chicago were horribly overcrowded and choked with coal smoke.

I view KC as a great model of late pre war urban planning - with organized walkable business districts (not to mention the plaza) and a great collection of deco towers, solid apartment buildings and modern (in a stylish 1920s kind of way) single family homes. I find this kind of almost romantic urbanity done right to have a really great feel - as Kansas City has - and I was not entangling this observation with any vieled reference to post war sprawl, which everyone has.

I was definitely wanting to avoid a city vs city scenario - which is why I was concerned about things like estimating and comparing density numbers - especially when what I care much, much more about is aura and feel. In this respect, I am fond of differentiating Kansas City from St. Louis - KC feels almost exotic to me when I visit - and I truly appreciate how it feels and "behaves" differently. It's worth repeating - for the most part, anything I say when describing a city is more along the lines of "feel" and the intangibles that are none the less present - because that's all I really care about.

Last edited by Centropolis; Jan 25, 2011 at 8:09 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 8:04 PM

Yes, you are right. I read too much into what you were saying, and my response reads as more snide than I intended. My apologies.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 4:54 AM
Beer Stampede

I've always wondered how big and how dense St. Louis's population would have been if the city hadn't become independent from the county back in the late 1800s. I always imagined an additional 500,000 people living there prior to 1950. Thankfully, St. Louis's population has finally bottomed out and is hopefully back on the rise. If the north side of the city ever got revitalized, I could see it really coming back. It's good to see some pockets of the inner city of Kansas City on the mend. Still a lot of work to be done, but great, none the less.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 1:57 PM

It would be interesting to know, especially considering that a lot of the inner-ring suburbs are built up like city neighborhoods.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 9:09 PM

blast from the past!

I ran across this today as I sat remembering my childhood (lo' many years ago). I spent my first 12 years in the East Bottoms. The church was St Francis Seraph and the brick building beside it was the rectory. There was a lovely Catholic school with a play yard attached. It was, indeed, a poor area even 60 years ago, but there was such a sense of community. Hard working people who had lost farms or fortunes bound together in that industrial area. I am 2000 miles away, but these pictures take me back there! Used to help ourselves to apples from Speas' huge bins, before they were loaded to turn into vinegar! My mother and I would walk to the post office (you have a picture of the back of that building) and it seemed sooo huge! It would be amazing to see some revitalization of that area.'

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 10:48 PM
Beer Stampede

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrewing View Post
I ran across this today as I sat remembering my childhood (lo' many years ago). I spent my first 12 years in the East Bottoms. The church was St Francis Seraph and the brick building beside it was the rectory. There was a lovely Catholic school with a play yard attached. It was, indeed, a poor area even 60 years ago, but there was such a sense of community. Hard working people who had lost farms or fortunes bound together in that industrial area. I am 2000 miles away, but these pictures take me back there! Used to help ourselves to apples from Speas' huge bins, before they were loaded to turn into vinegar! My mother and I would walk to the post office (you have a picture of the back of that building) and it seemed sooo huge! It would be amazing to see some revitalization of that area.'
The rectory has since burned down and bulldozed..more than likely due to arson!! I'm glad I was able to grab a picture of it.

This building is gone as well...the top three floors burned due to a lightning strike. There were never any concrete plans to rehab it and the structure weakened from the fire, so it had to come down!!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 5:54 AM

The pic of the white goal post on the left side of the photo is in the old Heim Park--the first Electric Park was located on this property in the early 1900's and borders Chestnut Ave. The park was built by the Heim family who owned a very large brewery in the East Bottoms. Later, they built a 2nd Electric Park outside of the Bottoms. The pic of the church is the old St Francis Church but it's been abandoned for over 50 years--I was inside the church many years ago and they had an indoor basketball court within the building. Used to be a LOT of residences in this area but most are gone as trucking company's and similar businesses moved into the Bottoms.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 2:39 AM
Posh

Arise thread arise!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos