HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Reflections in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Burnaby Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 7, 2009, 9:50 PM

[Burnaby] Reflections | Unk. | 33 floors | U/C

Ledingham McAllister building on the corner of Edmonds St and 18th St in south Burnaby (between Edmonds and 19th Ave and 18th St and the park on the corner).

http://www.ledmac.com/reflections/

I'll take some pics next time I walk by. I believe there's still a house or two left to clear.

EDIT:

Floorplans: http://www.ledmac.com/reflections/floorplans

Last edited by G.O.B.; Jun 3, 2011 at 3:06 AM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2009, 10:58 PM

That area needs some serious retail. Walking up to Kingsway is a bit inconvenient, at least if I lived there.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanizer405 View Post
That area needs some serious retail. Walking up to Kingsway is a bit inconvenient, at least if I lived there.
Yeah I'm not holding my breath though. If the city didn't require it of Park360 a block down, chances are they won't require it of Reflections.

I think it would do really well though. You'd get commuters coming off the train and heading north hitting it first (before Highgate) and you'd have the employees of BC Hydro and the Skytrain yard as a captive audience. Plus you've got decent density nearby with the 7 highrises of City in the Park, Park360, the one across 18th St, and Reflections itself. Not to mention the dozens of townhouse complexes and low-rise apartments surrounding it (there's not much single-family around anymore). Right now everybody's forced to shop at the overpriced Choices and it would be great to have another option.

Hopefully its Edmonds St. (a predominantly commercial street) address will make it a little more likely to contain retail.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 12:03 PM

Idoubt it. There is no retail on Edmonds south of Kingsway aside from Rona.

I think the perfect place for retail would be that vacant piece of land in front of Edmonds station. I could envision a massive mixed use develoment with 2 residential towers, office space and retail along a covered pedestrian street that cuts diagnally through the site. The existing bus loop would have to be incorporated and moved under ground. Seamless integration with a newly overhauled Edmonds station would be a must. A massive amount of underground parking would also be needed.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Idoubt it. There is no retail on Edmonds south of Kingsway aside from Rona.

I think the perfect place for retail would be that vacant piece of land in front of Edmonds station. I could envision a massive mixed use develoment with 2 residential towers, office space and retail along a covered pedestrian street that cuts diagnally through the site. The existing bus loop would have to be incorporated and moved under ground. Seamless integration with a newly overhauled Edmonds station would be a must. A massive amount of underground parking would also be needed.
Yeah that would be nice. I always figured that piece of land had contaminated soil or something and couldn't be built on for x number of years. I thought it would've been developed by now. It's all fenced off, levelled, and landscaped. Anybody know what was there previously?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 6:08 AM

^Have you ever seen that model that used to be inside the lobby of the BC Hydro building years ago? It showed all the future high rise development in the area including all 7 towers of City in the Park, Park 360, and even the site of Reflections. It also showed two towers on that vacant lawn in front of Edmonds station, as well as a third across 18th street.

After looking at the city of Bby's website it looks like that land is still owned by BC Hydro. Maybe they're holding out for future expansion?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 6:34 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
^Have you ever seen that model that used to be inside the lobby of the BC Hydro building years ago? It showed all the future high rise development in the area including all 7 towers of City in the Park, Park 360, and even the site of Reflections. It also showed two towers on that vacant lawn in front of Edmonds station, as well as a third across 18th street.

After looking at the city of Bby's website it looks like that land is still owned by BC Hydro. Maybe they're holding out for future expansion?
that is correct its owned by BC Hydro and was for office space expansion for them down the line.

I wish I took a picture of that model......damn! anyone have it in

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 8:35 AM

Thanks for the info. I wonder how likely it is that BC Hydro will ever expand onto that site, and if they would ever consider selling to a developer if demand ever warrants it. Once both phases of Reflections is built, the only sites left for high rise residential in the area will be up along Kingsway and Edmonds st.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
that is correct its owned by BC Hydro and was for office space expansion for them down the line.

I wish I took a picture of that model......damn! anyone have it in
Yeah that would make sense too. Thanks for cluing me in.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I wonder how likely it is that BC Hydro will ever expand onto that site, and if they would ever consider selling to a developer if demand ever warrants it. Once both phases of Reflections is built, the only sites left for high rise residential in the area will be up along Kingsway and Edmonds st.
Yeah you're probably right. The only potential site I can think of is the corner of Beresford and Salisbury, and that's almost at Kingsway. And it would require the teardown of a duplex and an old low-rise apartment building.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 6:03 PM

There has been some action on the site now. Looks like a presentation center is u/c as well looks like one of the only houses left on the site is finally vacant. There are also small excavators on site now ready to demolish said house.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 9:51 PM

Looks like the last house on the site has been demolished. Didn't see any presentation centre construction from the Edmonds St side. Maybe it's closer to 18th Ave? I'll have to look closer next time.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Not likely, Hydro is just expanding to offices already built scattered along the skytrain line. I have seen the model as well. It might be around somewhere.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 8:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.O.B. View Post
Looks like the last house on the site has been demolished. Didn't see any presentation centre construction from the Edmonds St side. Maybe it's closer to 18th Ave? I'll have to look closer next time.
Yeah it's on the 18th ave side.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybuilding View Post
Not likely, Hydro is just expanding to offices already built scattered along the skytrain line. I have seen the model as well. It might be around somewhere.
It's probably somewhere in the Hydro tower locked away in storage, those bastards .

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 4:23 AM

Drove by it yesterday. Lots of clearing has taken place in the last few days. Pretty much the entire north 2/3 of the property has been cleared and it looks like they're preparing to dig. There's also a pretty big site trailer at the corner of Edmonds and 18th St.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 4:59 AM

Yeah it looks like they're very close to starting actual excavation. I really hope that they at the very least preserve some of the larger trees on the perimeter of the site akin to Park 360 across the street.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 6:39 AM

are those houses gone than? or will be gone?

I think my brother used to live on one of them long ago

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
are those houses gone than? or will be gone?

I think my brother used to live on one of them long ago
Yes that east side has been cleared. The building at 18th and 18th will become the presentation centre by the look of it.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybuilding View Post
Yes that east side has been cleared. The building at 18th and 18th will become the presentation centre by the look of it.
It's actually a new building. Much bigger than that odd-looking house that was there.

Definitely some dirt moving today.

Still no website yet though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley