HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 3:35 PM

Another interesting blog from David Staples.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...lberta-museum/

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 3:42 PM

I wish there were some more iconic forms as well. Due to the short timeline I never saw what the model looked like because only the site plan mattered to me.

I do know that money is a big issue. Lots of equipment required to meet AI standards and museum standards.

Maybe even not enough money for iconic? I thought looking up art gallery money would have shown that, but it was (rounding here) 80 million for 80,000 square feet. The museum is 340 million for 340,000 square feet...

However the budget number for the design team was a lot less than 340 million and the rest is probably for museum exhibit design which is 0 cost for the aga? Just guessing.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 3:48 PM

I have a feeling a short deadline to produce a design would have been key. You can't rush creativity or brilliance. I'm sure these architects could have come up with something (or at least one of them) with a lower budget had they more time.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 3:53 PM
BANNED

Most of the proposals barely say "Museum" without reading the sign, mumble something about "Alberta" and drop the "Royal" adjective entirely due to budgetary and time constraints.

Woooo...

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 3:55 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing View Post
Full Disclaimer: I'm the civil engineering designer on the Ledcor team. It's probably led to some bias.

Ledcor Proposal
- My favorite proposal.
really? expected more from you dude

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 3:56 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
Another interesting blog from David Staples.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...lberta-museum/
Process, process got us what we gots.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
really? expected more from you dude
We need more than 4 pictures to really compare. The thing I liked most about Ledcors was that it attempted to have 4 sides rather than ignoring station lands like the Ellis Don proposal does.

I do like the copper looking perf screen on the Ellis Don submission, and am not a fan of the precast looking stuff on Ledcor.

But again, we need more than 4 photos.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 4:40 PM
Community Guy

^ok, I will agree with you there, but on the face of it...

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 5:17 PM

Agree more photos or information is required for a proper critical analysis. That and Design Build does not get us inspired work, just safe.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 5:48 PM
Round Head

Disappointing. None really stand out. If I had to pick one - the Jack Diamond design from the Ellis Don team would be it. David Staples analysis seems right on.

I can tell you guys are disappointed as it's not plastered all over the Canada threads.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 6:20 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 7:09 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Alright, my analysis.

All the exteriors are abhorrent. One is trying to be white Milner Library, another is trying to be a white University Hospital, another is trying to make the North Remand a museum with a copper veil, and the other looks like they're to trying to smash Jasper Place High School with St. Joseph's, painted white.

The interiors are less abhorrent.

PCL seems to have really dropped the ball with having the escalators dominating any possible display in the main gallery. It instantly makes me feel like I am in City Centre East, especially given the narrow walkways around the gallery.

Ledcor's shot looks like a modern airport, and it compliments it with the airplanes. Much more creative design elements going on here and there is a lot of space to walk around in. My only concern will be materials and sound attenuation.

Graham's is just leaves me cold, unimpressed. It certainly looks like it was cheaped out.

Ellis Don's interior is nice. Just nice. I mean, it's alright but just the image alone gives me the sense that I've already been there and already been to all the exhibits. I guess it kind of reminds me of Hole's Greenhouse in a way.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 7:12 PM
Community Guy

Keep in mind what Winnipeg did to set the bar

(http://data5.blog.de/media/142/2635142_030d0c8ef8_m.jpg)

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 7:59 PM

Pretty dissapointed about this. None of them really stand out as being that much better than the other one, and the one that does....leaves a lot to be desired as well.

I'm not too familiar with this design-build concept, but it definately seems like it's hampered the process.

For such a prominent spot where this will be they sure could have went all out and opened this up to foreign competition to truly make this something great.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 8:15 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Hmm, personally I'd go with Ellis Don and Ledcor. The other two behind them in no particular order.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 8:29 PM
Community Guy

Reminder

The shortlisted contractors are:

— EllisDon Construction Services Inc. team: Diamond & Schmitt Architects of Ontario, HIP Architects of Edmonton, Haley Sharpe Design (Museum Planner) of the United Kingdom

— Graham Design Builders (a joint venture comprised of Graham Design Builders LP (by its general partner Graham Design Ltd) and Jardeg Construction Services Ltd) team: Laing O’Rourke of the United Kingdom, IBI Group Architects Engineers of Alberta, Richard Meier & Partners of New York, Solomon & Bauer (Museum Planners) of Watertown, MA

— Ledcor Design Build (Alberta) Inc. team: Dialog of Alberta, Lundholm Associates Architects of Ontario (Museum Planner)

— PCL Construction Management Inc. team: a joint venture between Moriyama & Teshima Architects of Ontario and Architecture/Arndt Tkalcic Bengert of Alberta, Maki & Associates of Japan (Architecture), Museum Planning Partners of Ontario

© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 8:30 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonoilers89 View Post
I'm not too familiar with this design-build concept, but it definately seems like it's hampered the process.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design-build

It is great for some projects, like warehouses for example.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Keep in mind what Winnipeg did to set the bar

(http://data5.blog.de/media/142/2635142_030d0c8ef8_m.jpg)
Winnipeg pwns Edmonton? Say it isn't so!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 8:55 PM
HVAC guru

^ I've done tonnes of design build work, it's applicable and suitable for far more than warehouses. Probably not the best choice for a museum though. Of course, the $340 million dollar budget probably would not have been suitable either.

Speaking of this whole thing... One design build team is conspicuously missing from the list. I wonder why ? HMMMMMMMMM........

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 9:19 PM

^^ no offense but I think that is awful.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton