HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 10:57 PM

The PCL copies the interior space from the original Edmonton Centre design.
They all are terrible!!
Anyone who would come to Edmonton visit the RAM and a month later someone showed them a picture of the museum, they would probably not recognize it. None of them are unique, interesting or creative.
Words that I would use are to sum up each of the designs: uninspiring, dull, unimaginative, boring, cold, monotone, dreary, lackluster, unoriginal, common and insulting.
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Last edited by Jasper and one o nin; Aug 19, 2011 at 1:33 AM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 11:55 PM

WEAK!! is really all i have to say. Surprised nobody likes the Graham one I like it most if I were to choose. However Ellis would win my vote if they changed the color scheme to something less 70's and got rid of the tall marshland grass landscaping? wtff?? PCL is just pathetic nothing fits.. whats with the random glass box?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 12:04 AM

I think I like Graham because it seems to have more floors. We need something 'grand' looking that will get people tilting their heads up saying "wow".

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4.audios View Post
However Ellis would win my vote if they changed the color scheme to something less 70's and got rid of the tall marshland grass landscaping?
The more I stare at the Don Ellis, the more I'm inclined to agree with you. Change the colors and get rid of the honeycomb/netting stuff.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 1:36 AM
Kevin Folds Five

They all look like car dealerships.

Fail.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 2:56 AM

On the CTV Edmonton website, there is a news story on Thomas Lukaszuk criticizing the quality of the options. Sounds like if we voice our opinions, there is a chance they may not choose any of the four options right now...

Keep in mind there is a limited time to respond.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
The more I stare at the Don Ellis, the more I'm inclined to agree with you. Change the colors and get rid of the honeycomb/netting stuff.
I am happy with Ellis Don. With the right material (tindelstone) the design works for me. The screening effect also with the right material...eg: titanium web would be great with light reflection.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 4:23 AM

I like elements of the Graham, but still hasn't wont be over - feels stale. Tho I enjoy the height, that's a big selling point for me.

Ellis is okay, but I really don't enjoy the halftone effect to the images in the interior shots. I'm worried it would age very quickly, in terms of style. I do enjoy that this submission seems to have put more care into the landscaping and architectural details.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 4:27 AM

I also find it funny that they're using the CN tower for some elements of inspiration / integration. The Ellis submission performs the best with its screening effect, imo, and I actually do like it. But I wouldn't at all be surprised if the CN tower is eventually retrofitted/replaced in the future. Sometimes I like it, other days I wish it was covered in tarps.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 4:34 AM

Full Disclaimer: I'm the civil engineering designer on the Ledcor team. It's probably led to some bias.

Here are my thoughts (I shared them with my team earlier today)

Four images it's tough to glean a lot of information, but here is how I see it.

Ellis Don Proposal
- It has a warm and inviting look to it from 99th and 103a.
- Not sure what's going on in the back though. Here it looks like a multiplex building which is not appealing. Not sure why they would show an LRT back here either?
- My number two favorite

Graham Proposal
- This one is cold and uninviting
- It appears to have poor urban design. No interaction with the public realm.
- It feels closed off
- My least favorite

Ledcor Proposal
- Very inviting public entrance
- Good connection at the 'rear'
- Only proposal with no dinosaurs
- My favorite proposal.

PCL Proposal
- Very monolithic feeling. Some big blank walls
- Weird forms that don't appeal to me, nor seem to fit.
- No rear of the building. It's blank.
- Third favorite, but far from second best.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 5:03 AM

I do enjoy the Ledcor building for its interaction with the public, but I find it's lack of height and use of space (purely from a height/density/space to utilize and expand within) leaves me wanting more. Mind you this is only me speaking from with these few images.

And no kidding on the use of dinosaurs in the submissions! But regardless, it would be super great if the new museum gets to house some fresh and famous new dino finds!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 5:06 AM

I must say taking a second look, that the interiors of the Ledcor building do have me imagining myself there...

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 5:30 AM

These are perhaps the most boring results of an architectural competition I have ever seen. Hands down.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 6:39 AM
I'm cheap

I have to say: typical Edmonton.

The EllisDon proposal, which is sadly my favourite, looks like a 70s monolith

The Graham proposal looks so cold and uninviting. Something that kinda looks like it should be in a suburban office park or a science facility at the university.

Ledcor looks like a high school.

PCL looks like someone barfed up some building blocks.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 1:12 PM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

Design experts unimpressed with proposals for museum

Mariam Ibrahim
Edmonton Journal

Friday, August 19, 2011

Albertans are being asked to weigh in on four designs submitted for the new Royal Alberta Museum, but they'll have less than a week to do so.

Based on reaction Thursday, the government can expect to hear from a lot of people.

Some architects and experts in urban design expressed concern with the proposals...

© Edmonton Journal 2011

Copyright © 2011 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...7b923&sponsor=

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 2:15 PM

^ Let 'em have it! I'm also going to respond and ask for something more (even though I'm just an armchair critic).

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 2:30 PM
I smash you

My email to David Murphy:

In my unprofessional opinion, the EllisDon proposal appears to be the most attractive for the new RAM.

While I found all the proposals to be a bit bland and a little too institutional in nature, I believe the EllisDon project is the most aesthetically pleasing of the bunch.

I also feel it has the most potential to be improved in terms of design as the process moves forward.

Overall, I think more effort should be places into making this project iconic for both the city and the province.

Cheers

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 2:52 PM

Wow, kind of disappointing. I was hoping the bar for Cultural buildings like this would be raised by the AGA and the Cantos proposal in Calgary. I like the PCL one the best.

What is the budget for this project?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 3:07 PM

Not going to lie. Not impressed at all by these proposals. Pretty bland and not at all what I was expecting.

Weren't there international companies looking at doing designs for this project as well?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing View Post
Full Disclaimer: I'm the civil engineering designer on the Ledcor team. It's probably led to some bias.

Here are my thoughts (I shared them with my team earlier today)

Four images it's tough to glean a lot of information, but here is how I see it.

Ellis Don Proposal
- It has a warm and inviting look to it from 99th and 103a.
- Not sure what's going on in the back though. Here it looks like a multiplex building which is not appealing. Not sure why they would show an LRT back here either?
- My number two favorite

Graham Proposal
- This one is cold and uninviting
- It appears to have poor urban design. No interaction with the public realm.
- It feels closed off
- My least favorite

Ledcor Proposal
- Very inviting public entrance
- Good connection at the 'rear'
- Only proposal with no dinosaurs
- My favorite proposal.

PCL Proposal
- Very monolithic feeling. Some big blank walls
- Weird forms that don't appeal to me, nor seem to fit.
- No rear of the building. It's blank.
- Third favorite, but far from second best.
Ledcor, I agree, was the only one that had connectivity on all sides. PCL completely missed the mark in that regard. But (and with all due respect), IMO the museum should have a design, character and appearance that is unique and creative so that people immediately recognize it as the RAM in Edmonton. Ledcor, has bits and pieces, but as a whole, the design, character and appearance of the exterior will not leave an impression with anyone. It would be great as a library, courthouse, school or government building, but a museum should be completely different and stand out.
Not one of them had a strong focal point created from the linear terminus of 99 street.
Also, none of them did much to create a strong NW corner at the 97 street/104ave intersection. (at least hard to tell from the photos)
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton