HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 29, 2013, 9:44 PM

Various NJ Shots - Portuguese Newark, Indian Edison, and rural Hunterdon

Here are some recent photos, from Thursday evening and then from today.

First up, the Ironbound district of Newark NJ. This is one of the largest Portuguese/Brazilian neighborhoods in the country, and only a 15 minute NJ Transit ride from Penn Station Manhattan. Although I drove in from another part of NJ that day.

One of the many Portuguese bakeries in the neighborhood

I usually go to the same favorite Portuguese seafood restaurant, but this time decided to do something different and go to a Spanish tapas place.

The nice Art Deco Newark Penn Station, two blocks from the beginning of the Ironbound

On to late this morning in Edison/Iselin, the largest Indian area in NJ, and quite possibly in the US. There are two walkable blocks, and then a bunch of Indian strip malls, a bit like some of the ethnic areas in Southern California.

My go-to lunch place in Iselin, which happens to be vegetarian, yet also very high calorie

Indian sweets shop

A small food court nearby

An interesting snack shop, last stop in my hunt for a particular Bengali sweet which I could have much more easily found in Jackson Heights. Generally, Edison is heavily Indian and particularly Gujarati, while Jackson Heights and NYC in general skew more Bangladeshi, Pakistani, and these days Nepali, in their South Asian community. Indians are the wealthier group, and somehow seem to prefer the NJ suburbs over the NYC boroughs.

Just for the heck of it, two comparison photos of Jackson Heights Queens, from this past Wednesday night

And finally rural/exurban Hunterdon County NJ

A farmers market

The suburbs aren't all bad!

Last edited by bricky; Jun 29, 2013 at 10:20 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2013, 11:33 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Great NJ pics, thanks!

Beautiful small towns, pastoral fields, hills, valleys and forests, and 1980s-2000s era exurban sprawl - that's central NJ for you.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2013, 12:55 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Awesome pics! I have been to a lot of those areas you took pictures at. NJ gets such a bad rap around this country but there so many cool places urban and suburban, mountains, rural areas and beaches. Who cares about what others think. Immigrants know it is a good place to live. Not only that NJ is improving a lot too. Revitalization is going on everywhere.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2013, 1:10 PM

Nice cross-section of the Garden State. Urban/suburban/rural-ish. When I was a kid and my relatives from central Illinois would come to visit they couldn't get over how lush and green NJ is.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2013, 3:16 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundertubs View Post
Nice cross-section of the Garden State. Urban/suburban/rural-ish. When I was a kid and my relatives from central Illinois would come to visit they couldn't get over how lush and green NJ is.
Depending on the time of year (usually August), I really notice the transition in the color of foliage going east. Right now it's lush all the way to about Salina, KS but some years that "lush line" shifts practically to the foothills of the Appalachianss and north to the foot of Lake Michigan (never have really seen the northern Midwest brown near the Great Lakes at least). I guess it's hard for an area to appear lush when there are not lots of forests and trees, anyway (central IL).

Old Posted Jul 1, 2013, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricky View Post
An interesting snack shop, last stop in my hunt for a particular Bengali sweet which I could have much more easily found in Jackson Heights. Generally, Edison is heavily Indian and particularly Gujarati, while Jackson Heights and NYC in general skew more Bangladeshi, Pakistani, and these days Nepali, in their South Asian community. Indians are the wealthier group, and somehow seem to prefer the NJ suburbs over the NYC boroughs.
Kind of true, but there's still a very large Indian community in Queens. The Indians don't live in Jackson Heights, though. They're further out, in the Bellerose/Floral Park/Queens Village areas. You will see Little India commercial sections along Hillside Ave., Union Turnpike, and Braddock Ave.

There's also an emerging Little India on Long Island, in Hicksville (basically near the LIRR station).

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Kind of true, but there's still a very large Indian community in Queens. The Indians don't live in Jackson Heights, though. They're further out, in the Bellerose/Floral Park/Queens Village areas. You will see Little India commercial sections along Hillside Ave., Union Turnpike, and Braddock Ave.

There's also an emerging Little India on Long Island, in Hicksville (basically near the LIRR station).
Cool, I definitely want to check those Indian areas out. The only big South Asian neighborhood I was aware of in NY is Jackson Heights, and if you count it, a surprisingly large Guyanese Indian area around the last stop of the A train. I heard there's a Bangladeshi area in Brooklyn somewhere, but didn't make it out there yet. I've always wondered why South Asians don't have neighborhoods on a similar scale to say Flushing or Chinatown. The communities seem a lot more scattered.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Cool, I definitely want to check those Indian areas out. The only big South Asian neighborhood I was aware of in NY is Jackson Heights, and if you count it, a surprisingly large Guyanese Indian area around the last stop of the A train. I heard there's a Bangladeshi area in Brooklyn somewhere, but didn't make it out there yet. I've always wondered why South Asians don't have neighborhoods on a similar scale to say Flushing or Chinatown. The communities seem a lot more scattered.
Anymore photos of Jackson Heights? Its a neighborhood I'm really curious about... haven't had a chance to explore.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Anymore photos of Jackson Heights? Its a neighborhood I'm really curious about... haven't had a chance to explore.
I'll try to take some photos the next time I visit Jackson Heights!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2013, 2:12 PM

Quote:
I've always wondered why South Asians don't have neighborhoods on a similar scale to say Flushing or Chinatown. The communities seem a lot more scattered.
If you want a super-urban and thriving South Asian neighborhood in the NYC area, outside of Jackson Heights your best option is Newark Avenue in Jersey City (Journal Square PATH station).

Newark Avenue is much bigger than the Jackson Heights South Asian area, and would be the closest South Asian equivalent to a "Flushing"-type urban ethnic business area.

In the Bronx and Brooklyn, there are fast growing South Asian corridors, though they are overwhelmingly Bangledeshi or Pakistani, not Indian.

In the Bronx, there are two South Asian neighborhoods- Parkchester (East Bronx) and Bedford Park (North Bronx).

In Brooklyn, there are three South Asian neighborhoods- Church Avenue/McDonald Avenue, Coney Island Avenue from Prospect Park south to the Jewish area starting around Avenue H, and northern Brighton Beach (north of the Russian area).

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 3:37 AM
Eurosceptic

Fascinating, mouth-watering tour... keep it up!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 4:55 PM

Wow, those photos take me back to the early '90s when I lived in New Jersey. My girlfriend (now wife) worked in Edison and had an Indian roommate who introduced us midwesterners to Indian food. We also went to Ferry Street in Ironbound, and also used to bike the country lanes in Hunterdon Cty (Stockton, Lambertville, etc...).
Thanks for posting!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2013, 3:13 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Kickass thread!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 6:01 PM
Eurosceptic

I want to see more Edison.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos