HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track View Post
Is there any word yet on retailers going into the complex next to King George? It seems to be done from a construction standpoint but it's just...sitting there. Seems like the perfect place for a coffee chain to go into, in my opinion.
Unfortunately leasing takes time in the commercial world. Concord did say a month ago that they are working with several businesses on long-term leasing but it is still in negotiation.

My guestimate just on what typically happens in these areas is that we'll see the first place start to set up by June/July. The longer the space isn't leased out, the longer Concord eats the maintenance costs so it's in their best interest to not wait forever. When it comes to commercial buildings you typically don't see it sit empty so long because they pre-lease before building. Look at the medical buildings down the road. They could have started construction 2 years ago but they were working on leasing. 1 is still working on leasing. So when they start constructing they are finalizing the lease details and after completion places have had time to prepare to move locations.

In the case of ground-retail they usually go on the market after the fact so it can take up to a year before businesses start to move in especially given the commercial aspect of Park Place wasn't finalized until the projects mid-point.

And I agree. You're going to see at least 1 coffee shop and 1 restaurant in the commercial space.

It's too prime a location to stay empty long term. Hell if I had the cash right now I'd open a Subway or Quiznos but my money is unfortunately tied up elsewhere right now. :-(

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 6:07 PM

Good to know that they're in talks; I wasn't sure if it was just the leasing process that was taking time, or a lack of interest from businesses.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 10:39 AM

I just registered for Park Avenue's website, and they're really pushing the 1-bedroom suites. Hopefully they are larger than the 1-bedroom suites in Park Place, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryHolmes View Post
I just registered for Park Avenue's website, and they're really pushing the 1-bedroom suites. Hopefully they are larger than the 1-bedroom suites in Park Place, but I'm not holding out much hope.
There are 2 sets of 1 bedroom suites in each tower. 1 set is 1-2 feet shorter in the living/dining room area. It makes a huge difference. I'm in a unit that is 2 feet larger and while 2 feet may not seem like much you do actually notice the difference.

I find my 1 bedroom unit fine in size. 2 of us living here and have no issue with our stuff fitting and bumping elbows. Then again we're set up to live fairly compact. I'd imagine if someone has a lot of stuff they'd be in trouble.

You're right though, I doubt the 1 bedrooms will be much larger if any. This unit isn't much smaller than the 1 bedroom units in Ultra. I found the Ultra layouts though to be a bit more odd shaped though you do get more counter and space from the get go.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 10:51 PM

Any more word when they are going to get going on "Park Avenue"?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 4:49 PM

Nope. Everyone seems tight lipped. I wonder if it's at the stage now where Concord is going to wait until HST is gone. I hope not but we're getting closer and closer to that period (3-4 months before) where you're going to see a drop in investment/not-immediate purchases of real estate prior to the HST going away.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 7:19 AM

How goes renting / leasing the commercial space in the building by the station? Last I saw (months ago) it was empty.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
How goes renting / leasing the commercial space in the building by the station? Last I saw (months ago) it was empty.
Still empty

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 7:21 AM

no need to rush in the nail salons and check cashing places

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 4:21 PM
Vancouver Moderator

You forgot A&Ws and Subways!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
You forgot A&Ws and Subways!
Hey now. A&W is fair game, but do not mock Subway! They have tasty food there.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 11:40 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Hey now. A&W is fair game, but do not mock Subway! They have tasty food there.
I'm not knocking it! I'm just saying there are so many Subways around that I walk by 4 on my way to work.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diet Butcher View Post
Any more word when they are going to get going on "Park Avenue"?
Have word now, will go on sale early 2013 with construction slated to complete by 2015.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Have word now, will go on sale early 2013 with construction slated to complete by 2015.
Thanks for the update. I am assuming those who have already registered for Park Avenue would be given notice some time before Christmas.

Given the savory reviews for Park Place, I am sure Park Avenue will also be popular. Let's hope their 1 bedroom units have a better layout - with the bedrooms having a window wall rather than using french doors to channel day light into the windowless room.

As for the two year construction timeline of the new towers, that area is going to be buzzing again. But ongoing construction noise for southern-facing current residents of Park Place 2 might be an issue during the warmer months.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
Let's hope their 1 bedroom units have a better layout - with the bedrooms having a window wall rather than using french doors to channel day light into the windowless room.
Personally, I'm hoping for larger 2-bedroom suites, and maybe even some 3-beds. Park Place had some good stuff, but kind of small and almost too many suites in the building.

I almost bought a 2-bed suite in Plaza 88 that was around 1100 sq.ft. If we can get something like that in Park Avenue, I'll be a very happy man indeed

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
Thanks for the update. I am assuming those who have already registered for Park Avenue would be given notice some time before Christmas.

Given the savory reviews for Park Place, I am sure Park Avenue will also be popular. Let's hope their 1 bedroom units have a better layout - with the bedrooms having a window wall rather than using french doors to channel day light into the windowless room.

As for the two year construction timeline of the new towers, that area is going to be buzzing again. But ongoing construction noise for southern-facing current residents of Park Place 2 might be an issue during the warmer months.
Won't affect us (being a south facing PP2) because Park Avenue part 1 will be the Sky Towers project site which is on the corner of 100th and Whalley Blvd. That means it would be the east facing PP2 and PP1 that would be affected. We'll be affected when the second phase of Park Avenue take place between PP2 and the SkyTrain station.

Either way though, on the 1 bedroom, that's what I own and I don't mind it. I find it extremely hot in the living area right now during the summer (and have an air conditioner unit to try and help + ceiling fan I had installed for circulation). I couldn't imagine having my bedroom right against the wall because the air flow is actually low facing south I find and the bedroom would be 10 times hotter.

I feel for the 2 bedroom units facing south. On the flip side, in the Winter we didn't have our heater on ever. Even though it was cold the greenhouse affect was enough to keep the place warm even in Winter without heater on so my hydro bill was about $20 a month in the winter... :-P

When they build phase 2 though of Park Avenue the building will block a lot of the Sun so the temperature will be better. Less of a view but as long as I can see Mount Baker I'm fine. I'll be out of this unit by then anyway. Next few years we'll be upgrading to a townhouse and will just rent this unit out.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 1:47 AM

Park Avenue site went live complete with renders. Launching in Spring 2013.

Maybe someone can start a new thread for this project. No floor count or height announced but you can see the towers are taller than Park Place and have a slick design.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 2:05 AM

Well from what I know I'm willing to bet is its the same as the original sky tower size and floor count. Its due to the fact Surrey plans if these towers werent built the size of any other proposal for that lot would have to be shorter.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 2:54 AM

Thanks for sharing! Ironically the only thing I conclude from nighttime renderings is that the developer is too afraid to show the public how ugly/cheap the towers actually will look.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 3:36 AM

Gimme these clean boring slabs in suburban Toronto anyday over the above pomo pile

http://imganuncios.mitula.net/condos...1557180367.jpg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley