HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

View Poll Results: So, what is it called?
Beltline District 16 69.57%
Connaught/Victoria Park/Mission 7 30.43%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
Honestly, nomenclature in this city seems like a constant attempt to please everyone.

Quote:
Personally, I'd prefer they do away with the Vic Park branding and just name the lower station "Erlton" and the upper station "Stampede."
I'd prefer the opposite: do away with "/Stampede" and call it "Victoria Park Station".

Many of the C-train station names are unwieldy and stupid. I cringe every time I hear the automatic PA system announce "SAIT, Alberta College of Art & Design, Jubilee Station". The signage says "SAIT/ACA/Jubilee", SAIT's official full name is now "SAIT Polytechnic" not "the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology" and the official acronym for the art college is ACAD. You might then ask yourself "shouldn't it be renamed SAIT Polytechnic/ACAD/Jubilee?"

(I for one think it should just be "Jubilee".)

Downtown West/Kerby --> Kerby
Bridgeland/Memorial --> Bridgeland
Barlow/Max Bell ---> Max Bell
Fish Creek-Lacombe ---> Fish Creek
Somerset-Bridlewood, McKnight-Westwinds ---> no one cares which, just pick one and stick with it

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 3:22 AM
ARTchitecture

Oh jesus guys! What a silly thing to get all worked up about. Whenever I say "let's go somewhere in the Beltline" my partner just responds "where the hell is that?"... no matter how many times I tell him To be fair, he wouldn't know "where the hell" Connaught or Victoria Park are either

In response to the naming of stations, I TOTALLY agree! I think SAIT/ACAD/Jubilee should either be called "College Station" or "Jubilee Station"... no stations, at all, should be hyphenated. On that note, I am soooo glad they chose "Tuscany Station" over "Tuscany-Rocky Ridge Station"!!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 4:49 AM
Great White Norf

I say "Beltline" or usually "the Beltline". I've explained its geographic limits to most of my friends so now they are informed

never heard anyone say "Beltline District"

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 7:00 AM

I'm going to start exclusively using Connaught and Victoria Park now that I know it bothers some of you.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 2:22 PM

The only time the naming bothers me at all is when, for example, after the flood I'm trying to figure out if where I live is still part of the evacuation zone and the media is using a wide variety of terms to describe the area (usually it was "parts of downtown" that seemed to apply).

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 3:15 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
I'm going to start exclusively using Connaught and Victoria Park now that I know it bothers some of you.
I'm going to do the opposite and we'll see which poster snaps first!

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 6:27 PM
Editor

I like Beltline as a neighbourhood name, mainly because it has actual historical significance, and Victoria Park and Connaught don't really have any kind of noticeable boundaries between each other whereas the Beltline as a whole at least has some decent boundaries.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 6:30 PM
Editor

I've noticed that too. My daughter rented out an apartment, and when I asked her where it was her response was.... 'in the Beltline' I think going forward the name will stick, as landlords, retail mgrs and real estate agents are using the name a lot more now, and that's what will push the name further along. If they ever had a shuttle or tram car that used the original Beltline route, the name would really be iron clad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
I find younger and newer Calgarians call it Beltline, but sometimes don't understand the boundaries particularly well.

The official Beltline Community nomenclature of the sub neighbourhoods - no one except Rob Taylor (Community Association President) use or understand.

You see some long time Calgarians call it Victoria Park or Connaught or "Victoria Park & Beltline" but that is getting rarer.

To locate within the (rather large) Beltline, I usually use cross streets, "Beltline - at 1st and 12th" rather than a neighbourhood name within it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy