HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 7:13 PM
Laura Palmer

Mult-use path on South side of 50th Ave.

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...ct=/50avestudy

Another missing link completed!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC.engineer View Post
Mult-use path on South side of 50th Ave.

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...ct=/50avestudy

Another missing link completed!
Well done, will be a good connections across to MRU and the existing paths on the west side of Crowchild. I like how they ultimately will shrink the road right-of-way down too and add a light at 20th Ave. I hope there is a clear bike-box at that location so that bikes can easily turn north onto the existing 20th street lanes.

The thing that is unfortunate about this path is that existing section west of Crowchild, where bizarre over-engineered, car-oriented road designs relegate pathway users into weird "am-I-a-bike-or-a-pedestrian" crossings at crosswalks and a bunch of dangerous slip lanes intersections that keep cars fast even when they don't need to be. The worst part is most of that area was built in the past 10 years where road planners and engineers should have known better.

But good to see progress nonetheless!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 9:03 PM

Some good news - the city is finally moving ahead with the long promised extension of the Glenmore Reservoir pathway along the edge of Earl Grey golf course. The golf course is now closed for the season and construction activity is now very clearly underway.

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...lenmorepathway

Last edited by Porfiry; Aug 13, 2017 at 7:57 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 12:05 PM

Thanks for posting that! I was excited about this project and the opportunity to do a proper loop around the reservoir when it was first announced and was starting to wonder if it would ever actually move ahead. Good news.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 12:23 PM

That is excellent news. I do a loop around Glenmore multiple times a year, and that narrow stretch around the golf course, as well as riding next to noisy Glenmore Trail, is the worst part. Having those be eliminated is fantastic.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 2:39 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porfiry View Post
Some good news - the city is finally moving ahead with the long promised extension of the Glenmore Reservoir pathway along the edge of Earl Grey golf course. The golf course is now closed for the season and construction activity is now very clearly underway.

Good timing for all parties. The course is undergoing a major renovation, so this made sense to do it all at once. Too bad some City departments couldn't coordinate in this fashion. . . (I'm looking at you Elbow Drive!!)

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 8:52 PM

FYI, the pathway across the Glenmore dam will be closed as of this Saturday (Sept. 30th). Enjoy it while you can because it won't reopen until 2020.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 2:15 AM

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porfiry View Post

...and it’s now open!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 11:11 PM

Thumbs up on the new pathway segment.

Going to drop a random grumpy here on the pathways subject... thumbs down on the City's decision to replace the washed away gravel paths in Griffiths Woods with wood chips. The paths have been water logged since spring and it's like trying to run on a giant, wet, muddy sponge.

And a tangent on the topic of Griffiths Woods, the park has seen heavy use the past 2 years as a beach party area for 20 somethings, and it is starting to take its toll. Particularly worrying is the evidence of bonfires in random, unwise places.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 12:46 AM

https://livewirecalgary.com/2019/01/...ted-ridership/

Quote:
... the number of riders so far has surpassed expectations, with nearly 28,000 rides logged since the start of the pilot Oct. 30. ...

On Chinook days we’re seeing more than 300 trips per day – or one trip per bicycle. ...

One of the biggest surprises, Harvey said, was they’ve had to allocate more resources daily to the west side of downtown, from just south of Kensington to 17 Avenue SW. They’ve also seen substantial uptake along 4 Street SW. ...
Apparently Edmonton's getting bike share this summer too.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaytonA View Post
https://livewirecalgary.com/2019/01/...ted-ridership/

Apparently Edmonton's getting bike share this summer too.
This does not surprise me as Car to Go was a huge success. Calgary was long overdue for a ride share program.

Whenever I visit Vancouver I use their ride share and it is an awesome way to get around their DT.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates