HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 5:41 PM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamcityleo79 View Post
Surprise! West Sacramento development application calls for two hotels on one site

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...plication.html
Awesome. One step closer to getting the All Star Game here plus we could hold other larger events downtown.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Surprise! West Sacramento development application calls for two hotels on one site

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...plication.html
It's all a good sign of economic recovery and expansion. Very welcomed. But unless I'm mistaken these hotels are on the edges and not in the developing riverfront area or 'downtown.' They are basically sub-urban "freeway hotels" no?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
It's all a good sign of economic recovery and expansion. Very welcomed. But unless I'm mistaken these hotels are on the edges and not in the developing riverfront area or 'downtown.' They are basically sub-urban "freeway hotels" no?
This is true. But, they are proof that things are getting better...and the construction jobs it will create (while not a huge amount) are definitely a good thing! When we visited Sacramento last week, I was SHOCKED at what has become of the IKEA shopping center in West Sac. It was very busy with lots of stores that were not there when I left Sacramento 6 years ago! I hadn't been back to Sac in 4 years. So, to see that area filled in was very nice! We have a development just like that in the suburban Twin Cities that is half-built with no sign of further construction. Some of the restaurants and stores in the new buildings have vacated and it is very slow to grow, if at all. The Sacramento region is building a better community...and while it may be one little place at a time, my opinion is that it is still one of the best places to live in this country...and I want to move back (now, to convince my husband)! lol

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 12:05 AM

Quote:
This is true. But, they are proof that things are getting better...and the construction jobs it will create (while not a huge amount) are definitely a good thing! When we visited Sacramento last week, I was SHOCKED at what has become of the IKEA shopping center in West Sac. It was very busy with lots of stores that were not there when I left Sacramento 6 years ago! I hadn't been back to Sac in 4 years. So, to see that area filled in was very nice! We have a development just like that in the suburban Twin Cities that is half-built with no sign of further construction. Some of the restaurants and stores in the new buildings have vacated and it is very slow to grow, if at all. The Sacramento region is building a better community...and while it may be one little place at a time, my opinion is that it is still one of the best places to live in this country...and I want to move back (now, to convince my husband)! lol
Did you get a chance to see some the new housing development going on in the Riverfront area of WS? It's very urban with design that is atypical of Sacramento. And it's on the outer edges so I can only assume that as it gets built up we'll see more mid-to-high rises. Sacramento is unquestionably benefiting from the sky-high prices in San Francisco and the Bay Area. But it's more that that. I think Sacramento has finally reached a "tipping point". It's the culmination of various smart infill projects over last few years and forward thinking mayors of both Sacramento and West Sacramento. There's still a lot of work to do but we are moving forward. The positive results of the winning the fight to keep the Kings and build a downtown arena cannot be underestimated. If we had lost to Anaheim or Seattle things would not have been so rosy. Still we are not the state's "big city" like Minneapolis is in Minnesota so we don't have that advantage. Your husband might be disappointed in our cultural offerings compared to the Twin Cities. But we are moving the right direction.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Did you get a chance to see some the new housing development going on in the Riverfront area of WS? It's very urban with design that is atypical of Sacramento. And it's on the outer edges so I can only assume that as it gets built up we'll see more mid-to-high rises. Sacramento is unquestionably benefiting from the sky-high prices in San Francisco and the Bay Area. But it's more that that. I think Sacramento has finally reached a "tipping point". It's the culmination of various smart infill projects over last few years and forward thinking mayors of both Sacramento and West Sacramento. There's still a lot of work to do but we are moving forward. The positive results of the winning the fight to keep the Kings and build a downtown arena cannot be underestimated. If we had lost to Anaheim or Seattle things would not have been so rosy. Still we are not the state's "big city" like Minneapolis is in Minnesota so we don't have that advantage. Your husband might be disappointed in our cultural offerings compared to the Twin Cities. But we are moving the right direction.
Yes! We did get to drive through the Bridge District. It was wonderful! The progress on Tower Bridge Gateway/Capitol Ave is awesome!!!

As for Sacramento's cultural offerings, that's something even I can't sugar-coat when comparing them with Minneapolis. Outside of a choice few other cities in the country, Minneapolis has some of the best cultural offerings AND the most per capita...especially for cities of that size. That's gonna be a hard sell as we LOVE to go to concerts (probably 15-20/year) and the artists we love don't usually make stops in Sacramento...or even San Francisco.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
Awesome. One step closer to getting the All Star Game here plus we could hold other larger events downtown.
Meh... for a second I was excited, thinking this was something to do with the riverfront hotels they want to build. Turns out it's way out on the interstate, just trying to capture the Bay Area-Tahoe tourist traffic. zzzzz

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 4:28 PM

The Barn

The Barn construction just went vertical yesterday with a ring of metal posts.

'

Last edited by Sactorleans; May 21, 2015 at 7:23 PM. Reason: Added photos

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 5:35 PM

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 9:10 PM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb90 View Post
I like it... and any project not shipping containers is a good one in my book

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 9:20 PM
BUFF$LUT

The Barn hasn't made much progress. Wasn't it supposed to be completed by this year's TBD Fest? That's about 2 months away..

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 12:04 AM

^ based on what I've been told by people in the know, the structure will be taking shape by TBD fest, but it won't be opening until early next year. Was just told that about 2 weeks ago.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 5:19 PM

Fulcrum is planning its next neighborhood in West Sac's Bridge District

Jul 23, 2015, 6:22am PDT Updated Jul 23, 2015, 7:11am PDT
Ben van der Meer
Staff Writer
Sacramento Business Journal

With four houses to finish and sell in its Park Moderns project, developer Fulcrum is turning its attention to the next housing development planned in West Sacramento’s Bridge District.

Early next year, work should begin on 21 single-family homes in a development called The Moderns at Eames Walk, said Fulcrum chief marketing officer and design director Stephen Jaycox.

As suggested by the name, the homes will be grouped around a shared “walk” that serves as common space. That space will go from the Riverfront Street on the east to a northern extension of Central Street on the west, and be open only to pedestrians and bikes, Jaycox said...

...He noted The Barn, a nearby community/retail space under construction, should open early next year as another stitch in the neighborhood fabric."

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...d-in-west.html

Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 5:19 PM

An application has been submitted with the city for a mixed-use apartment building called "Riveredge" directly across from Raley Field:

Quote:
Bridge District Riverfront LLC submitted an application for design review for a mixed use residential/retail building located along the waterfront in the Bridge District at the southeast corner of Riverfront Street and Ballpark Drive. The proposed design is 5 stories in height and would contain 273 residential units and 16,271 square feet of retail space to be wrapped around a 5-story, 447 space parking garage. The design includes linear retail frontage along the entire length of Riverfront Street and the facade will include brick, metal, light grey stucco, large loft windows, and large balconies.
https://www.cityofwestsacramento.org...comdev/mpa.asp

With photos here:

Street View:
https://www.cityofwestsacramento.org...p?BlobID=12590

Riverwalk View:
https://www.cityofwestsacramento.org...p?BlobID=12592

Aerial View:
https://www.cityofwestsacramento.org...p?BlobID=12591

Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 5:25 PM

And also, here's the site plan and renderings for Fulcrum's next project, "Moderns at Eames Walk" right next to the Park Moderns:

https://www.cityofwestsacramento.org...p?BlobID=11935

Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTownAndy View Post
And also, here's the site plan and renderings for Fulcrum's next project, "Moderns at Eames Walk" right next to the Park Moderns:

Meanwhile on the Sacramento side of the river front.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ozo View Post
Eh... that part of west sac is basically part of downtown as a whole, it's fine with me.

The new apartments and homes are very cool, I'm impressed.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 2:39 PM
Hindrance to Development

Also in West Sacramento, rehab and reuse of the Washington firehouse on 3rd Street:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...b-in-west.html

Quote:
On the first floor would be the bar and restaurant, while the second floor would have space for private dining and banquet functions. There would also be about 2,000 square feet of outdoor patio space, and a building addition on the east side for more kitchen and storage space.

Rehab will include restoring building features and installing new mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems. The building will also get a structural retrofit, restored windows and a new roof and storefront.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 6:36 AM

An artist's rendering to go with the above postings about Riversedge.

Quote:
From the Sacramento Business Journal/Ben van der Meer

A revised plan filed with the city of West Sacramento would bring a 273-unit, five-story mixed-use project to the city’s Bridge District, just east of Raley Field.

“Riveredge" would include 750 feet of the existing city River Walk public area, in what the agenda item describes as an “urban beach.” Riveredge itself would be southeast of where Riverfront Street meets Ballpark Drive.

The agenda item notes the project could undergo further changes and is subject to approval from both the city and the Central Valley Flood Control Board. The latter would stem from its immediate proximity to the river.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 8:00 PM

Quote:

Nothing too exciting, but Park Moderns Phase II has officially broken ground in TBD. Crews have been on site all week grading the block and readying for construction. From what I hear, this phase should be complete late this year or early next.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Nothing too exciting, but Park Moderns Phase II has officially broken ground in TBD. Crews have been on site all week grading the block and readying for construction. From what I hear, this phase should be complete late this year or early next.
I noticed that these homes will not be on a park like the last ones. I wonder if that means they will be cheaper.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area