HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Nov 28, 2008, 7:15 PM
It's Hammer Time

These guys are active and have a few recent projects completed. They have the finance.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2008, 9:27 PM

A ground floor mini grocery store would be nice.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
These guys are active and have a few recent projects completed. They have the finance.
who are they?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2008, 4:38 AM
Closed account

The elevation looks like it was drawn by my eight-month-old daughter--and she wields a pretty mean Burnt Siena crayola.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2008, 2:02 PM

Please do not use corrugated aluminium for the mansard roof! Please do not use corrugated aluminium for the mansard roof! Please do not use corrugated aluminium for the mansard roof!

I need to find out who is building this so I can ask them, "Please do not use any type of corrugated sheet metal for the mansard roof! Use shingles!"

Old Posted Nov 29, 2008, 2:58 PM
Closed account

But Flar, this is Hamilton. When it comes to architecture and design, saving money is the only thing that matters.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2008, 3:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRM View Post
who are they?
I think it's the same outfit that built the student residence in Westdale.

If it is, it's ran by a guy named Robert Manhertz. I had the misfortune of meeting him once. He has the personality and charisma of a roof shingle.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2008, 4:03 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 9:34 PM

Steel roof steel everything

I read earlier that shingles were prefered to steel or aluminium roofing. I understand certain aspects but with all the uncertainty in the steel industry, we in Hamilton should promote or encourage steel roofing.
I heard a guy talking the other day in the dental office and what he said made sense. The steel roof warms up and melts or sheds the snow and ice. Asphalt shingles are rough and hold it or allows water to get underneith and peels. There is no such item as a 25 yr shingle.
Just consider all the Petroleum used in the production of tar and asphalt.
Steel is lighter and goes on in larger sheets.
Less weight on the roof and longer life.
So build build build but use steel for support beams, 2X4s and roofs.
I would like to see steel Cheerios. and return to chain mail underwear.
OK that would be pushing it.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 9:39 PM

Steel shingles and corrugated aluminum are very different.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 9:55 PM
Hammer'd

So, chain mail underwear for all with jousting in Gore Park at first sun?
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 7, 2008, 10:55 PM

LOL i'll be wearing corrugated aluminum - i am not a wealthy person

Old Posted Dec 7, 2008, 11:00 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
LOL i'll be wearing corrugated aluminum - i am not a wealthy person
I just hope you don't end up becoming a flasher with only that on.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 5:22 AM

This development will be around this old house:

see the rest of my north Durand tour: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=162149

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 1:57 PM
It's Hammer Time

Planning fees going up

Nicole Macintyre
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/503811

The city is moving to increase its planning fees after councillors bypassed an "economic stimulus" option that would have given developers a temporary break.

Hamilton can no longer allow taxpayers to heavily subsidize its growth, said Councillor Brad Clark.

The city has been undercharging for its development and engineering fees based on the amount of work required by city staff, a consultant told the planning committee yesterday.

To get closer to cost recovery, the consultant recommended immediately doubling and tripling many of the fees. For example, the cost of a zoning application would jump from $2,870 to $5,585.

In total, the fee increases would generate nearly $500,000 in extra revenue a year.

The planning committee endorsed the increases despite pleas from developers, who said it couldn't come at a worse time.

The decision must still go to council.

"If it was 2007, I wouldn't be here begging," said Steve Spicer, president of the Hamilton-Halton Home Builders' Association.

There are builders in the city who haven't had a sale since November, he said in support of a fee freeze.

The increased fees will add an extra $300 to $400 to the price of a new home, Spicer said.

Staff offered councillors several options, including postponing the increase or phasing it in. There was also an economic stimulus opportunity where developers would be rebated the increased fees if their project started in the next year.

But Clark said it will never be the "right" time to increase fees because developers will always complain.

"It's the nature of the beast. They know. We know it."

Hamilton is behind in its infrastructure renewal because it hasn't been properly charging for new growth, Clark argued.

Even with the increase, Hamilton still won't recover all its planning costs, explained Tim McCabe, general manager of planning and economic development.

"We're trying to catch up."

Councillor David Mitchell was the lone vote against increasing the fees immediately. He wondered if the city has tried to find efficiencies or considered the economic spinoffs that come from development.

"Putting up the fees is way too easy."

The city is completing an operational review of its planning department.

Spicer argues the review should have been completed before the city changed its fees.

The city is also planning to raise its development charges and reviewing its park dedication fees.

At a planning meeting last week, Carlo Di Gioacchino of Dundurn Capital Partners told councillors the city's fees for parkland dedication are stopping his plans to build a condo on the old Thistle Club site in the Durand neighbourhood.

The city charges a fee for every development to fund new parks.

If the Thistle project were in Burlington instead of Hamilton, Di Gioacchino said, he would pay half the parkland fee per condo but get nearly twice as much profit because of the market.

The fees, he said, signal "Hamilton is not open for business."

Councillor Bob Bratina said the city needs to address the cost for large projects.

"It does seem like a show stopper."

The parkland issue will be debated Tuesday at the next planning meeting.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 2:19 PM

While I don't really believe developers when they start crying over a couple thousand dollars (in construction every little thing costs a thousand dollars), Hamilton needs to stay competitive with other cities.

I think the answer is simple: Hamilton's fees should be in line with those of the surrounding cities,

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
At a planning meeting last week, Carlo Di Gioacchino of Dundurn Capital Partners told councillors the city's fees for parkland dedication are stopping his plans to build a condo on the old Thistle Club site in the Durand neighbourhood.
So it's not the recession, it's the city's development fees? Bullshit. Why would they bring it up now? They must have known about the fees early into the project.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 6:41 PM

The fees shouldn't change for a project like this one that is already getting underway.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
The fees shouldn't change for a project like this one that is already getting underway.
He's not complaining about the proposed development fee increase. He's complaining about the existing parkland fee, a totally separate issue.

I like how they mentioned the parkland fee is going under 'review'. Meaning they could potentially lower or eliminate it.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 11:40 PM

There is a major deficiency of parkland in the Durand neighbourhood where this development is proposed - 7.22 hectares according to the city's formula. As I heard Bob Bratina mention "That's equivalent to 17 football fields"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton