HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 8:31 PM
BANNED

it's a shift that continues to gain traction.

Quote:
Detached house construction plunges 37% as Calgary market shifts toward multi-family
Move away from single-family homes and duplexes attributed to high prices, city policies and demographics
By Robson Fletcher, CBC News Posted: Feb 16, 2016 9:51 AM MT Last Updated: Feb 16, 2016 9:52 AM MT

Far fewer building permits for single-family homes and duplexes were issued last year, as the city saw a shift toward multi-family developments.
Far fewer building permits for single-family homes and duplexes were issued last year, as the city saw a shift toward multi-family developments. (Reuters File Photo)

New mortgage rules could hit Calgary market, and reduce temptation of debt
Home sales and prices to fall even further in 2016, Calgary Real Estate Board projects
Home construction fell in 2015 but building permits for single-family houses and duplexes, in particular, plunged at four times the rate compared to Calgary's residential sector as a whole.

"Last year was a bit of a correction in that the market was down a bit," said Wendy Jabusch, president of the Canadian Home Builders' Association – Calgary Region.

"But the other piece of the story is that there is a much higher propensity for multi-family now."

MORE CALGARY NEWS | Federal mortgage changes could impact Calgary market
MORE CALGARY NEWS | Walking on sunshine: How Okotoks banks heat for homes
Residential building permits totalled $3.67 billion in value last year, down 8.9 per cent from 2014.

During that same time, however, single construction permits — those issued specifically for single-family and two-family dwellings — fell to $1.126 billion, down 37.1 per cent.

In total, the city issued fewer than 3,500 building permits for single-family or two-family homes in 2015, down from the previous five-year average of 5,343.

Calgary Detached Home Construction
Create your own infographics
At the same time, Calgary is seeing a shift toward applications for multi-family and townhouse construction, according to chief building inspector Marco Civitarese.

"To me, that would indicate a trend toward that product right now in this part of the history of Calgary," Civitarese said.

Price, policy and people

Jabusch said there are three big factors driving the move away from single-family homes.

Firstly, she said they've simply become too expensive for many buyers, who are looking for more affordable housing options.

Even with the recent slowdown in real estate, detached houses still carried an average price of $526,758 in January, according to Calgary Real Estate Board data.

Secondly, Jabusch said the city's growth policies are also mandating higher-density developments in all parts of Calgary, old and new.

"The Municipal Development Plan is looking for a higher proportion of multi-family to single-family in new communities and they're also looking for inner-city communities to densify, which, by definition means it has to be a multi-family product replacing a single-family product," she said.

And, finally, she said people aren't looking to buy detached homes in the same way that they used to, even if they can afford it.

"Our buyer demographic is changing," Jabusch said. "There are more singles. There are more families that are couples without children and have no intention of having children."

Outlook for 2016

Civitarese said it's too soon to say if last year's trend is continuing into 2016, as the early data doesn't provide enough of an indicator.

"Traditionally, this is a slow period [for construction] in January and February," he said. "So, the bigger indicators will come in the second quarter, I believe."

The home-building industry is bracing for even further slowdowns, however.

"Our association generally believes 2016 is going to be a little bit slower than 2015," Jabusch said.

"There's still going to be a demand for single-family homes for young families, but it's not the same degree."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...cent-1.3449915

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 9:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
it's a shift that continues to gain traction.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...cent-1.3449915
Glad that "some" segments of the housing market are responding more nimbly to the economic realities.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 9:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Glad that "some" segments of the housing market are responding more nimbly to the economic realities.
it's significant because multi-family starts were already trending at historically highs of about twice those of detached starts throughout the last economic growth cycle, and now appear to be gaining even more traction.

It's also significant because Cgy essentially runs a uni-city model, so some cities might show a high multi-res to detached ratio within the small city proper boundaries but it's more than countered by huge sprawl in neighboring municipalities.

Last edited by Spring2008; Feb 17, 2016 at 9:35 PM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
it's significant because multi-family starts were already trending at historically highs of about twice those of detached starts throughout the last economic growth cycle, and now appear to be gaining even more traction.

It's also significant because Cgy essentially runs a uni-city model, so some cities might show a high multi-res to detached ratio within the small city proper boundaries but it's more than countered by huge sprawl in neighboring municipalities.
Talking to the people I know that have bought into multi-family units in the last year there decision to go that route over a single family home was in every case strictly a financial decision.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
Talking to the people I know that have bought into multi-family units in the last year there decision to go that route over a single family home was in every case strictly a financial decision.
No decision is strictly financial, although it clearly is a factor. Home location and style choice is an infinitely complex thing to model, but at the highest level it is the personal balance of these factors:

- maximize space & accessibility (to jobs, services, recreation, schools etc.)
- minimize cost & nuisances (of commute time, noise, terrible neighbours etc.)

Everyone values these factors differently of course. As a young adult with no kids, I don't value school access at all. Others will value that number one above all else and move to a neighbourhood with access to good schools for their kids.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 6:25 PM

Figured you guys would get a kick out of this great blog post about why McMansions are stupid, aside from how they look: AKA an objective list of reasons why McMansions are bad architecture

http://www.mcmansionhell.com/post/15...related_post=1

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 7:25 PM
BANNED

'I feel bullied,' says condo owner taken to court over backyard garden items not allowed in bylaws
http://www.cbc.ca/news/gopublic/i-fe...laws-1.3985979
Quote:
National condo dysfunction

Disputes like the one between Pilot and her condo board are growing almost as quickly as the number of condo units, according to William Stratas, managing director at Eagle Audit Advantage, a Toronto-based company that investigates grievances from both condo owners and board directors.

"Our files are bulging," says Stratas, whose office gets calls daily from condo residents who feel mistreated by their condo boards and property management companies.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 3:30 AM

Quote:
'I feel bullied,' says condo owner taken to court over backyard garden items not allowed in bylaws
http://www.cbc.ca/news/gopublic/i-fe...laws-1.3985979
Seems like someone bought into a home ownership model they didn't understand...

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 12:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrical Storm View Post
Seems like someone bought into a home ownership model they didn't understand...
Judging from the court ruling, which went against the condo, it seems she was indeed being bullied. The article also highlighted that this is the plight of tens of thousands across the country - coast to coast. From the article it seems, if you own a condo, you're either getting screwed over, or you don't know it yet.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Judging from the court ruling, which went against the condo, it seems she was indeed being bullied. The article also highlighted that this is the plight of tens of thousands across the country - coast to coast. From the article it seems, if you own a condo, you're either getting screwed over, or you don't know it yet.
The incident from the article is bullying. I agree.

But to say: "if you own a condo, you're either getting screwed over, or you don't know it yet" is pure nonsense.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 9:01 PM

Buying a wooden framed condo is the biggest mistake of my entire life and I'll probably regret it forever.

Truman Homes is the worst.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 9:03 PM

Any reason you aren't happy about sinking all that money into a wood framed condo?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Any reason you aren't happy about sinking all that money into a wood framed condo?
I can hear every single footstep my upstairs neighbor takes. I'm constantly cranking my TV to try and drown out their footsteps, I'm embarrassed to have people over cause of the noise and I have to wake up whenever they are up. I haven't been able to sleep past 7 am on a weekday (even though I work at 9) since moving in. Worst of all is they have a kid who likes to run around and jump. I've had to start routinely checking my light fixtures cause they come lose from the rattling.

The worst part is they're not doing anything wrong. They're just walking around and letting their kid occasionally run around so I feel dumb filing a complaint or anything.

The reason I didn't think twice is that I have a few friends who live in wooden buildings and I've never heard anything like this at their place and have never heard complaints. Guess I just got screwed with a crappy builder. I can deal with the other quality issues I've had but the noise from above is unbearable and I really doubt I'll ever be able to sell or rent it to anyone.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patm View Post
I can hear every single footstep my upstairs neighbor takes. I'm constantly cranking my TV to try and drown out their footsteps, I'm embarrassed to have people over cause of the noise and I have to wake up whenever they are up. I haven't been able to sleep past 7 am on a weekday (even though I work at 9) since moving in. Worst of all is they have a kid who likes to run around and jump. I've had to start routinely checking my light fixtures cause they come lose from the rattling.

The worst part is they're not doing anything wrong. They're just walking around and letting their kid occasionally run around so I feel dumb filing a complaint or anything.

The reason I didn't think twice is that I have a few friends who live in wooden buildings and I've never heard anything like this at their place and have never heard complaints. Guess I just got screwed with a crappy builder. I can deal with the other quality issues I've had but the noise from above is unbearable and I really doubt I'll ever be able to sell or rent it to anyone.
Sounds like you just didn't do your homework. I don't think noise problems are exclusive to Truman wood framed condos. Truman has been building some pretty nice stuff lately in comparison to many of the other players.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you just didn't do your homework. I don't think noise problems are exclusive to Truman wood framed condos. Truman has been building some pretty nice stuff lately in comparison to many of the other players.
Like I said, I know lots of people who live in wood frame condos and have never heard anything close to what I'm hearing at my place or any complaints about noise at this level. I knew that wood frame was louder, that is why I picked a unit that had no neighbours on the side. I knew it would be louder from above but like I said, I've spent a ton of time in wood frame condos at friends places and never heard anything close to what I'm experiencing now so I didn't think anything of it.

I'll post some videos from my phone when I get home. It's not normal.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 12:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Sounds like you just didn't do your homework.
Somewhat true, but also a pinch of a "rotten" thing to say. Reality is, most condo owners get screwed one way or another. Leaky roofs, faulty window seals, glass curtains collapsing, LED lights constantly failing, domination by condo board control freaks, loss of control over maintenance of "your own home", and on and on.

Quote:
Like I said, I know lots of people who live in wood frame condos and have never heard anything close to what I'm hearing at my place or any complaints about noise at this level. I knew that wood frame was louder, that is why I picked a unit that had no neighbours on the side. I knew it would be louder from above but like I said, I've spent a ton of time in wood frame condos at friends places and never heard anything close to what I'm experiencing now so I didn't think anything of it.

Your specific case could be related to the specific construction, or it could also be your upstairs neighbour.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Somewhat true, but also a pinch of a "rotten" thing to say. Reality is, most condo owners get screwed one way or another. Leaky roofs, faulty window seals, glass curtains collapsing, LED lights constantly failing, domination by condo board control freaks, loss of control over maintenance of "your own home", and on and on.
The plural of anecdote is not data...

I understand that condo living isn't a great fit for some people, their lifestyles and priorities. But your conception of 'reality' wherein condo owners are constantly getting screwed is based on your perception. You may perceive that condo living is a raw deal - and that's fine. Clearly many don't agree.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 4:37 PM

Quote:

I have a few friends who live in wood frame condos... one lives at Tribeca in Mission (Bucci) and I've never heard noise from the neighbours, the other lives in a smaller building in Renfrew called 43Park and I've found the hallway and upstairs noise very obtrusive. I suspect there's a wide variation in the quality of sound attenuation methods being used.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 5:45 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Can we just agree that home ownership models like condo aparments or HOA single family housing, along with the perks of these models you are also giving away a bit of your freedom to do what you wish with your home, and therefore there is additional due diligence (and likely continuing diligence) required in researching the board, as compared to a free standing single home.

(Also that's one reason I live in a freehold SFH)

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 11:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyedge View Post
can we just agree that home ownership models like condo aparments or hoa single family housing, along with the perks of these models you are also giving away a bit of your freedom to do what you wish with your home, and therefore there is additional due diligence (and likely continuing diligence) required in researching the board, as compared to a free standing single home.

(also that's one reason i live in a freehold sfh)
100%

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues