HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 8:11 PM

Labatt/InBev whatever they are free to do this - but I think they missed the boat...

I think someone got concerned that everyone is calling it the JLC, which has *nothing* to do with their product. Calling it the "John Labatt Centre" refers to their whole product line and works, calling it "JLC" gives them nothing.

I though the "John Labbat Centre" was a brilliant choice, as it covered their brand line, and referred to a historical Londoner (and would immediately suggest the London connection to Labatt's origin to anyone hearing it)!

Bud? Bud who?

A better solution might have been the "Bud Bowl at the John Labatt Centre" or the "Blue Bowl at the John Labbat Centre" (hey, the seats are blue, and Blue tastes way better than Bud!), which would have retained the goodwill and added a brand.

Will always be the JLC to me!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 12:15 AM
The Vomit Bag.

now it is just the BG.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
now it is just the BG.
Could have been worse - the BS, or the BM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondnPlanr View Post
Regardless of how the beer is viewed by beer snobs and local complainers, Budweiser is brewed here in London by Labatt's Brewery, and it is a VITAL brand to keeping the brewery running full steam ahead.
The only reason the Bud brand is vital is because the parent company made it that way. They decided to kill the Labatt name and replace it with Budweiser. And it worked. People are sheep - they drink what the breweries tell them to drink.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 3:42 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
The only reason the Bud brand is vital is because the parent company made it that way. They decided to kill the Labatt name and replace it with Budweiser. And it worked. People are sheep - they drink what the breweries tell them to drink.
this.

as described in a marketing case for 2nd year students
Quote:
Both Labatt Blue and Molson Canadian, the one time brand leaders in Canada have been replaced at the top by Budweiser and Coors Light. Labatt markets Budweiser in Canada and Molson markets Coors Light.
The predicament that Blue and Canadian are in is partially related to company ownership. InBev, a Belgian‐based company owns Labatt and has decided to focus on brands that it can extend to International markets. Blue is not in that mix. Budweiser now gets much more marketing support in Canada than it used to. Molson recently merged with Coors, a U.S.‐based company, and ever since, the Coors Light brand has been the priority.
busandadmin.uwinnipeg.ca/melnyk-j/Advertising/LabattBlue.pdf

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 4:41 PM
User Registered

Coors Light is among the worst beers I have ever tasted.
-Crazy fact: you can't even get regular Coors beer here in Canada. I once tried it when I was in the US out of curiosity and it had just slightly more taste than Coors Light. (I tolerate Budweiser but would prefer to have something else.)

Glad the JLC won't be called Coors Arena or something.

And yes there's no shame calling it the JLC even now, since that was the official name of the structure when it was built. The same goes for places like the SkyDome (Rogers Centre), Rockefeller Center (GE Building) and the Sears Tower (Willis Tower).

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 8:34 PM
Sanity merchant

Coors Light when it's super cold is actually quite tasty to me As it warms up though, not a fan. I like Bud too.

It's like all the beers people here hate I dig. Guinness = barf.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 9:13 PM
User Registered

Guinness = a meal for me.

If I go to a bar hungry, I order a Guinness. That way you save money... don't have to order bar food!

I wish the JLC/BGZ had more of a beer selection.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 2:18 PM
The Vomit Bag.

There is a reason why they promote Coors Light, Bud, etc to be served cold as ice. Because it tastes like horsepiss otherwise. You really can't taste much the beer is ice cold. Guinness is actually supposted to be served at room temperature.

Guinness is an acquired taste. Personally, I love it. But it is far from being my everyday beer (hello Belgian, German, Czech beer).

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 3:04 PM
User Registered

And then there are those gimmicky 'blue cold' cans which turn colour when they're cold enough to drink.

I read that most beer is best enjoyed at 7 degrees, and that's the temperature inside the Beer Store. Most fridges are 4 degrees which means you should actually wait a bit after you take a brew out of the fridge before you drink it.

Now bars have 'super cold' draught beer lines which store kegs of Coors Light and Canadian at 0-1 degrees, and they usually pour it into a glass that's full of frost.

Getting back on topic, there was a bar in the JLC that had a couple other beers on tap other than the Blue and Bud sold at the concession stands. I remember it having Kieth's and Rolling Rock among some others... wonder if that will change as part of the re-branding.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
There is a reason why they promote Coors Light, Bud, etc to be served cold as ice. Because it tastes like horsepiss otherwise. You really can't taste much the beer is ice cold. Guinness is actually supposted to be served at room temperature.

Guinness is an acquired taste. Personally, I love it. But it is far from being my everyday beer (hello Belgian, German, Czech beer).
I didn't touch a single mainstream beer this past weekend: I had some DAB, Holstein, Kilkenny, and Muskoka Cream Ale. Now those are good beers.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 4:07 AM
User Registered

If you can't handle a Guinness, Killkenny is a great choice. Did you know it is also made in the Guinness plant in Dublin?

I made it a true St. Patrick's day this year by drinking nothing but that Irish brew. "OH MAI GAWD, TEHY KELLED KENNY!"

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 9:50 AM

Boddingtons is a nice choice too.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 12:38 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^you're darn tootin'!

Kilkenny, Boddingtons, Guinness, Harp, Smithwicks, Newcastle brown Ale, Tartan, Double Diamond, Speckled Hen, Innis & Gunn...

....Beck's, Staropramen, Pilsner Urquel, Steigel, Duvel, Chimay, DAB, Firstenburg, Warsteiner, Stella Artois, Mort Subite...

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 3:04 PM
User Registered

While we're on the topic of beer you might be interested in this:

I've done a few blind beer taste tests, here's some results:

I didn't know what the brews were until they were revealed at the end.

Beer tasting is nothing like wine tasting. You actually have to drink the beer, I think its to help measure smoothness. As a result, the more beers you taste, the drunker you get.
-That's probably why I gave PBR a high rating. A conflicted palette in my mouth probably welcomed a watery beer to cleanse it, thus the high rating. We do however have things like pretzels, peanuts and water between taste tests to help clear our palettes.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 5:36 PM
Sanity merchant

And no Polish beers

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 12:27 AM

Waterloo Dark is one of my favourite dark beers, I'm a big fan of Keith's Amber Ale also!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 1:47 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Is it weird if I hate pretty much all beers? Not to sounds like a hipster or anything, but pretty much the only things I like are the very lightest and very darkest. Overall I'm more of a wine & port person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Beer tasting is nothing like wine tasting. You actually have to drink the beer, I think its to help measure smoothness. As a result, the more beers you taste, the drunker you get.
I went with a girl I know to a wine tasting last year. All the middle-aged folk there were spitting the stuff out (heresy, I say), but everyone in the sub-25 crowd was gulping it down. It's actually better that way, since you pick up on some of the wine's more delicate aftertastes (peppercorn, for example), overall makes for a better experience. Mind you, the two of us were hopelessly drunk after it was all over. Time well spent

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 12:34 PM

I love beer and wine as well, we often hit the wineries around here for tastings, but I have never spit out a tasting. We're heading out to Niagara region next weekend to hit up some of the wineries in that area. I love doing these weekend jaunts.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
While we're on the topic of beer you might be interested in this:

I've done a few blind beer taste tests, here's some results:

I didn't know what the brews were until they were revealed at the end.

-That's probably why I gave PBR a high rating. A conflicted palette in my mouth probably welcomed a watery beer to cleanse it, thus the high rating. We do however have things like pretzels, peanuts and water between taste tests to help clear our palettes.
Where'd you do this? I'm just curious, I'd love to try it as well.

Some of my favourite beers are local Ontario craft beers. I'd say the best are:
-Muskoka Brewery Mad Tom IPA
-Great Lakes Brewery Devil's Pale Ale.

Railway City in St. Thomas is pretty decent and it's London's local craft brewery!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues