HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
The only active Houston thread on here is this one. Everyones over at HAIF, I wish they would abandon that site and come over here.

I rode my bike past the Carter Building downtown on Main and they are gutting the bottom floor where that Dominoes used to be and it looked like they were starting to remove that crap 1960s cladding, giving light to the old bricks underneath.
It is slated to be JW Marriott Hotel. I believe they plan to restore the original exterior.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
The people that live around where this tower is getting built have been flipping the f out for years over it and have these stupid yellow signs in front of their lawns that have a picture of a giant like 50 story building with huge scary arms reaching out over their neighborhood...
Wow. This sounds like a typical NIMBY neighborhood in Austin. I wouldn't expect it in Houston. When the Spring condo in Austin went before the city council several years ago some NIMBY lady got up and said that such a tall building had no place near a greenbelt and that New York didn't even have such tall buildings near Central Park. Spring is only ~430 feet.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 8:50 AM
Voice of the Modern World

Anyways sorry to cut this Ashby highrise conversation for a few but there's a couple of updates, N90 style.

First one I'm sure we've all heard by now but I wanted to bring it up to switch the focus to this question. Why is Houston all of a sudden becoming more attracted to mixed use developments on water settings? Buffalo Bayou master plan, Woodlands Riverwalk, Lake Woodlands, Springwood village, Pleasure Pier, and developments like the ones I'm going to post in a second. I think its cool but has anyone else noticed it too?

Waterway Square Development:

Quote:
Howard Hughes Corp is gearing up a major new development in The Woodlands. In mere months, it’s breaking ground on Hughes Landing, a 66-acre mixed-use center along Lake Woodlands.
Source: http://www.bisnow.com/real-estate-ho...ay-square-2-0/
The Boardwalk at Towne Lake:

Quote:
It seems a lot of developers are yearning for a more nautical life (and, surpisingly, we don't mean owning a yacht): We found another lakeside mixed-use project kicking off soon. The Caldwell Cos plans to break ground on The Boardwalk at Towne Lake by the end of the year.

We chatted with CEO Fred Caldwell about the project, which sits amid the 2,400-acre master-planned Towne Lake community. The Boardwalk will be part of the 150-acre Towne Lake Commons commercial district, where Kroger just purchased 18 acres for a 120k SF store. Fred says plans for the Boardwalk area aren’t finalized (they have to have a ferris wheel though, right?), but he’s planning two office towers for medical and small service users (size TBD, but they’ll go spec). Each will have 15k SF of retail. There’s been incredible demand for medical uses, so the company will do two 25k SF office buildings dedicated solely to those. A 2,500-seat amphitheater and a church are also in the works.
Source: http://www.bisnow.com/real-estate-ho...ore-mixed-use/

Anyways back to the Ashby highrise for a minute. I think its just NIMBYism at its finest. Vote for zoning if you don't want these things to happen, residents only have to put the blame on themselves. No complainers. As for me personally, I admire the way Houston is to be honest. I was driving on Gessner earlier yesterday near Memorial Drive and it was beautiful with the super tall tree's, very very lush green leaves (IN AUGUST!! Our summers are back to somewhat normal, last year was wayyyy to dry!), and some beautifl old styled brick homes, and BAAAM all of a sudden a 27 story lone skyscraper for apartments. LOL sorry for sharing this but what I'm really getting at is that to some Houston may seem f***ed up but to me its the way its growing up that's unique about the city. In 20 years from now, all the infill and weird looks due to the lack of zoning will give this beast of a city a whole new look compared to most American cities.

Anyways while all this is happening, I just want to say that having the pleasure to go to school in Austin and coming home for the holidays in Houston is an experience. A fun one. In Austin I always see construction on campus and in nearby downtown. It's exciting to see the skyline and downtown transform right before our own eyes. Also fun to see all the events and name marketing success that Austin's getting lately. Houston, stuff going on downtown but it pales in comparison to the stuff going on everywhere else, midtown, museum district, Memorial City, Energy Corridor, Neartown, Greenway, Uptown, EaDo, The Woodlands, Galveston (pleasure pier, skyscrapers on the beach), Clear Lake area, Katy, Sugar Land, the area near airport, Greenspoint, Conroe, areas near Lake Houston, & Lake Conroe. So much stuff happening on a metropolitan level for Houston, something we don't see enough of in Austin (besides homes and neighborhoods and stores opening up with new areas). Both will like great by 2030 (along with Dallas & San Antonio).

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 6:30 PM

The Woodlands is getting ANOTHER highrise! While the article doesn't give the floor count, it states that 10 Waterway will be 600k sq. ft!!! The 32-story Anadarko Tower currently under construction is 550,000 sq. ft (20 stories on top of a 10 story garage.)

http://app.newsletter.bisnow.com/e/e...dc32a86f82d594

"....There's treasure buried somewhere on this map. Paul tells us demand for office space is particularly strong. In fact, 3 Waterway Square is 90% preleased nearly a year before delivery. As for the retail portion, Paul tells us it’ll focus on vibrant restaurants and entertainment but steer clear of soft goods. (There’s plenty nearby.) Gensler is handling design, and Colliers’ Bob Parsley and Norman Munoz are leasing the office space. Next on Howard Hughes’ agenda: Developing 600k SF 10 Waterway."

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 12:33 AM
Ex Houstonian

The end of the North Line extension, right by that newish Walmart and the Transit Center north of 610.

A long elevated stretch of the North Line over a railroad track. Theres two elevated sections of this extension, so thats pretty sweet.

Just the rest of that elevated stretch from above.

So, work is for sure underway on this historic building which will become a Marriott supposedly. They have gutted the entire lower floor and have started to take off the crap paneling which covered up the beautiful brickwork below.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 1:33 AM
Dryer lint inspector

wish they'd do the same with the downtown sears...pull off the craptastic 50's erea cladding.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 3:17 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
So, work is for sure underway on this historic building which will become a Marriott supposedly. They have gutted the entire lower floor and have started to take off the crap paneling which covered up the beautiful brickwork below.
Are they planning on fully restoring the building? Any pictures of the building in its original state?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 3:24 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
I believe they are planning on completely restoring it but not quite sure.

http://www.cardcow.com/290703/carter...houston-texas/

Can you believe that POS used to look like this? I really hope they restore it to what this photo shows, but dont keep your hopes up, this is Houston after all. But I think the current building had more floors added onto it at some point, probably during the 20s or 30s. So, I doubt they will restore it to this photo but rather how it looked during the late 20s.

Well, nevermind, I found a render of what it will look like.

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&s...t:429,r:51,s:0

For some reason, some of their projects on that list are in Latin, so thats strange.

This kind of a cool tid bit of history, the building was known as "Carter's Folly" because it was the largest building to be built at the time (16 stories) and no one thought that bricks could be stacked that high. Guess they never visited NYC in 1911.

Last edited by photoLith; Aug 13, 2012 at 3:41 AM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 5:14 AM

Beautiful.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 5:22 PM

Does anyone have any new & current information on 5 Allen Center, I heard on another site that it is nearing the needed occupation level for construction.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 7:48 PM

Wow, fantastic photos, photoLith. Thanks for sharing!!!

Great to see progress on the rail lines, and I love the design of the downtown building that is being restored.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivionlml View Post
Does anyone have any new & current information on 5 Allen Center, I heard on another site that it is nearing the needed occupation level for construction.
Oh really? Which site?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
Sounds like outright harassment. . .

. . .
Hey! There is no harassment on those people. There is nothing wrong with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverberation View Post
Yeah, don't worry about that one. Be happy!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 3:13 PM

Construction has begun on this 21-story tower off Allen Pkwy!!

A long-delayed residential project near downtown, primarily targeting well-paid professionals with upscale apartments and condos and a cluster of retail, entertainment and offices, is finally under way.
More than five years after announcing plans for the 24-acre Regent Square project off Allen Parkway, GID Development Group has begun construction on the first building, a 21-story apartment tower called The Sovereign.
It represents an important milestone for GID, which had planned to break ground before the national economy went into a tailspin.
"We went through a tough cycle in the real estate market and the overall economy," said James Linsley, president of Boston-based GID.
The project was one of several that were shelved or canceled as demand for space dried up and lenders stopped financing major commercial real estate projects.
GID said it remains committed to Regent Square, which is to go up in multiple phases on land abutting Allen Parkway near Dunlavy and Dallas, on the site of the old Allen House Apartments. The development could take 10 years to complete.
Plans include about 400,000 square feet of retail, restaurant and entertainment space; more than 1,500 residential units; and 250,000 square feet of office space in what the developer refers to as an "urban district" where residents can walk to everything. The walkable nature of the project extends beyond its borders, Linsley said, with a pedestrian trail around Buffalo Bayou and high-end shops and a new Whole Foods a short distance away.
Additional construction could begin in about a year as the company is "moments away" from signing up a major retail tenant, Linsley said.
The project is being built with financial assistance from the city of Houston, through the Memorial Heights Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone, or TIRZ.
City assistance
In the spring of 2009, the Houston City Council voted to assist the project with up to $10 million in reimbursements for public improvements the developer agreed to make. At that time, the project was being pitched as an $850 million development.
The agreement was later amended to include the public infrastructure around The Sovereign. Linsley said that includes burying overhead utilities, upgrading drainage in the area and creating wide sidewalks with mature street trees, but he would not discuss the monetary details.
Mayor's support
In a statement, Mayor Annise Parker expressed her support.
"This project is yet another reflection of Houston's economic upturn, which the rest of our nation is still trying to achieve after a severe recession," Parker said. "It shows the city's dedication to continuing to bring jobs and economic growth to Houston."
The apartment tower will be built at 3233 W. Dallas and include 290 units. It was designed by Houston-based Ziegler Cooper Architects to achieve a LEED Silver rating from the U.S. Green Building Council.
Initial occupancy is slated for March 2014.
The apartments will start at the ground level to help create a pedestrian-friendly environment at the sidewalk. Units in most high-rise buildings start above the garage.
The developer said the apartments will have top-of-the-line finishes, such as kitchens with wine refrigerators. The eighth floor will be The Sovereign Club and include such amenities as a yoga studio, a massage room, a catering kitchen and private dining rooms.
Unit sizes will range from around 590 square feet for a studio apartment to 1,415 square feet for a two-bedroom unit. The average size will be around 1,000 square feet.
GID would not say what it plans to charge for rent.
"We will be priced near the top of the market," Linsley said.
"The primary market audience will be well-paid 25- to 45-year-old professional singles and couples renting as a lifestyle choice," he said. "They may be a little bit averse to homeownership."

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 3:26 PM
Endless Moments...

Ooo nice to hear. Very Kewl...

Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 3:43 PM
Ex Houstonian

Hmmm I just drove by this site yesterday, didn't look like anything was going on. Guess I'll have to check again. That's great news though.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 2:14 AM

The Woodlands may be getting 1 MILLION SQ. FT of office space in 3 buildings at Hughs Landing.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/m...eveloping.html

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 4:05 AM
Ex Houstonian

Some random updates from today with my 50mm lens after I destroyed my 14-24 lens

Post Midtown Lofts new phase.

A different section of almost complete Post Midtown Lofts. It even looks like there will be ground floor retail and such. Dont know about that doofy ass looking crown they have going on, I dont know why but for the past 6 years or so it seems that developers love putting these weird crown like things on top of their buildings. This is really evident in Austin, and it seems to have spread from there to other cities. Dont know where it first started though. Im sure in the future architectural historians will call this strange style something and look back and think, what the hell were they thinking?

5 story urban development on West Grey and Gillette St.

This is the huge urban themed Fingers development next to the Whole Foods in Montrose. It will be massive and about 5 stories tall once completed. They completed part of the ugly parking garage for it so far. Hopefully they cover it up in something nice and its not just bare concrete.

It looks like they have started construction on that 21 Story building, which is pretty effing sweet. Its right across from the New Whole Foods. This will be nice to watch go up. It will be the only high rise that I know of going up at the moment inside the 610 Loop.

Then another mid rise on the corner of W Gray and Waugh Dr. Its built where The Tavern and crap tons of parking used to be, and a few old bungalows unfortunately. This is the backside of the development thus far. I havent seen any renders of it, but Id surmise like most other projects going up on W Gray St., it will be around 6 stories tall probably. Hopefully there will be some ground retail, but it doesnt look like there will be at this point judging from the construction, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by photoLith; Aug 16, 2012 at 4:19 AM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 5:05 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Private Firm Planning Bullet Trains in Texas by 2020

IRVING – The leaders of Texas Central High-Speed Railway sound very confident for a company expecting to succeed where scores of state planners, elected officials and private interests have failed.

The firm hopes to have bullet trains moving Texans at 205 miles per hour between Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston by 2020.

The bit that has raised eyebrows: The company plans to do it without seeking public financing.

“We are not the traditional state-run railroad,” Robert Eckels, the company's president and a former Harris County judge, said at a high-speed rail forum in Irving on Tuesday. “This is designed to be a profitable high-speed rail system that will serve the people of these two great cities and in between and, ultimately, the whole state of Texas.”

Backing the Texas-based company is a group led by Central Japan Railway Company, which handles more than 100 million passengers each year on its bullet trains in Japan.
http://www.texastribune.org/texas-tr...ns-texas-2020/

I'll believe it when I see it.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 8:09 PM

I'm not sure if this is redundant, but

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/...ergy-corridor/

Last edited by toxteth o'grady; Aug 16, 2012 at 8:46 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations