HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 8:23 AM
G'day

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
I actually did a one day comparison for Westjet ops.

YYC: 90 daily mainline, 45 Encore, and 11 Link - 146 total
YYZ: 85 daily mainline, 42 Encore - 127 total
YVR: 57 daily mainline, 23 Encore - 80 total
YEG: 24 daily mainline, 30 Encore - 54 total
YHZ: 17 daily mainline, 10 Encore - 27 total
YWG: 22 daily mainline, 4 Encore - 26 total
YUL: 8 daily mainline, 15 Encore - 23 total
Excellent work!

You forgot YLW! It’s a bigger base than YHZ, YWG and YUL with about 29-30 daily including about 8 daily mainline.

YVR has the highest % of mainline of the largest bases (71%).

YEG used to be a larger base than YVR but they've lost quite a lot of mainline over the last few years. They are closer to 28 mainline though and total ops of about 62 daily including about 5 daily Swoop.... mainline is down to only about 45% of total ops.

And over half of YUL flights are a shuttle to YYZ.

Last edited by Johnny Aussie; Jan 19, 2019 at 8:41 AM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 9:36 AM

wouldn't you like to see this at YVR? Melbourne I saw some

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongeg View Post
wouldn't you like to see this at yvr? Melbourne i saw some

https://static-news.moneycontrol.com...ne-770x433.jpg .... link for QATAR AIRWAYS image

The image itself didn't come through, but yes, seeing QATAR AIRWAYS at YVR would be beautiful, impressive, and really put us into the "Big League" of airports served by an ME3.
However, it's a shame that Ottawa is so muleish about limiting Turkish Airlines, as they would be much more practical for Vancouver with IST as a connector to the ME and Central Asia.
The ME3 are already halfway around the world (nearly 180° longitude) from Vancouver, so anything going further is either zig-zagging backwards, or heading backwards longitudinally.
TK at Istanbul would, as I said serve the Eastern Mediterranean, such as Cyprus, the Mideast itself, the Balkans, The Caucasus nations, Ukraine, Teheran, .....
To test this for yourself, take a world map and draw a circle representing the catchment area 1000 miles from Qatar, and the catchment area 1000 miles from IST.
The IST circle will be much more inclusive destination-wise. I cannot understand why Ottawa is so obtuse on this ..... unless they want everyone using TK to go through YYZ.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyG102 View Post
1st WestJet 787 Dreamliner Cabin tour, from WestJet after it landed in Calgary, it looks great! https://youtu.be/TJaNoqYagcw
For the love of all things holy, will you PLEASE stop it with the nonstop Westjet spamming across numerous threads?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
Ya not one of those is valuable. Even on a Canada wide scale they aren't that helpful, AFAIK the routes between YUL and Jordan, Qatar, and Algeria were not hindered by this, I don't think it will change much in terms of service. Really the only countries I could see benefiting from a written bilaterals are Singapore, UAE, and Turkey
Why is UAE valuable but not Qatar?

Qatar Airways serves 13 cities in India. DOH-YVR, were it to happen, would make just as much sense as DXB-YVR or IST-YVR. They're all after the same thing. Siphoning YVR-India traffic away from BA, LH, AF and AC. Even Chinese carriers at YVR exploit YVR-India, as YVR-DEL via China is shorter (distance wise) than via Europe.

Qatar would be after the same crowd.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
New federal agreements allow YVR to expand route options in 6 countries

Kenneth Chan Jan 17, 2019

Vancouver International Airport and other Canadian airports can potentially benefit from an expanded global reach, due to new and expanded air transport agreements finalized between the Canadian federal government and six other countries.

In a release, the federal government has concluded agreements with St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Algeria, Qatar, Jordan, Côte-d’Ivoire, and Mongolia.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/cana...s-january-2019
We can finally have a non-stop to Ulaanbaatar. Maybe Westjet on a new 787?

On a serious note I kinda want to go.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 4:07 AM
G'day

Quote:
Originally Posted by POCO View Post
We can finally have a non-stop to Ulaanbaatar. Maybe Westjet on a new 787?

On a serious note I kinda want to go.
But without reading the actual bilateral agreement it sounds like the Mongolia bilateral is code shares only.

The only realistic one of these is Qatar but without reading the specifics... too hard to tell if YVR could benefit.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
New federal agreements allow YVR to expand route options in 6 countries

Kenneth Chan Jan 17, 2019

Vancouver International Airport and other Canadian airports can potentially benefit from an expanded global reach, due to new and expanded air transport agreements finalized between the Canadian federal government and six other countries.

In a release, the federal government has concluded agreements with St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Algeria, Qatar, Jordan, Côte-d’Ivoire, and Mongolia.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/cana...s-january-2019
Someone should tell Kenneth that we are still waiting for his ''imminent'' YVR-Brazil flight. It's probably the best time to go there now that a fascist has taken over the country.....

Feb 2018

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vanc...xpected-future

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 5:31 AM
from the inside out

Local TV news reported YXX 2018 total: 842,212.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 3:35 PM

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-c...greements.html

Quote:
The expanded air transport agreements with Algeria, Qatar and Jordan allow designated airlines to operate more flights per week to and from Canada
So we know Qatar got more frequencies. No specifics, but safe to say it's probably limited to 2, 3 or 4 more frequencies, max. The new rights are available for use by airlines immediately.

It will be interesting to watch QR on this. Will they be expanding YUL, or adding YYZ/YVR ? They will be doing something for sure. They've been lobbying the Canadian government for more rights since they started YUL back in 2011.

Edit: QR increased YUL to 4 weekly last month. Could very well be the increase allocated was simply 1x weekly, which is now being used.

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Jan 19, 2019 at 6:58 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 7:10 PM

Does Translink have more 40 ft novas that New Flyers, The city of Vancouver your rarely see a regular new Flyer? and the #7 Nanaimo Stn\Dunbar is a Diesel route for th next few months.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 7:02 AM
G'day

United Summer Update

UA has just updated their summer 2019 schedules from YVR and there are three notable changes compared to summer 2018.

As always UA is subject to change but this is what is showing up in this week's changes.

LAX showing two daily but the afternoon flight going mainline 738. Last summer LAX was two daily Express. Not sure if mainline has ever been on LAX.
IAH back to two daily - red eye has been added back. Last summer was only one daily.
DEN all three daily showing mainline. Last summer it was two daily mainline and one Express.

So here's the summer 2019 schedule:

SFO 5 daily mainline
ORD 4 daily mainline
DEN 3 daily mainline
IAH 2 daily mainline
LAX 1 daily mainline 1 daily express
EWR 1 daily mainline
IAD 1 weekly mainline

So next summer UA will have 17 daily flights from YVR and only one is Express.
There is only one 319 per week to IAD all other mainline flights are a mix of mix of 739s, 738s and A320s.
I also think this is the first time UA will have more capacity on YVR-IAH than YYC-IAH. That's really something.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 5:51 AM

Hainan Airlines has announced a shift to its Shenzhen service. Flights will now operate non-stop, meaning the airline is dropping service to Tianjin from YVR.

https://westernaviationnews.com/2019...e-to-shenzhen/

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 9:29 AM

Aeromexico further increase YVR-MEX service.

As mentioned before, service runs 15-16x weekly on April.

May service now increase to 15x weekly with extra flights on Saturday.

June to Sept 15, service increase to 16x weekly with extra flights on Sat and Sun.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post

June to Sept 15, service increase to 16x weekly with extra flights on Sat and Sun.
Encouraging news. I wonder when we'll get Guadalajara and / or Monterrey?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 6:38 PM
G'day

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post

They must be doing well here. I’d be curious to know how many pax are connecting through MEX to Central / South America, how many pax are transferring to other cities in Mexico and how much is O&D with Mexico City.

Meanwhile Interjet is back to 4 weekly each to MEX and CUN.

Perhaps Volaris or Viva Aerobus will come here too.

Viva Aerobus currently flying to PVR on behalf of Sunwing on one of its weekly flights.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 9:07 PM

I took a flight on AeroMexico from YVR to Caboa San Lucas via Mexico City in November (because it was cheaper than WestJet direct).
It was a long detour (Mexico City to Cabo was 2 hours!) and layover, but the flight was okay and I'd never flown over Mexico City before.
Strangely, the red eye flight on the way down was unusually hot in the cabin, but normal on the way back.
We got a free meal on the longer segment of the flight -
ham and cheese sandwich on the red eye down, and vegetable pasta on the way back up.
They also handed out free headphones (which I kept) and they have a good free movie and tv show selection on individual seatback monitors.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 8:02 PM

Last night's update, YVR-PEK had been downgauged from 77W to 77L starting from June 2nd. No other route gained that 77W.

So all 77L scheduled for next summer are:

YYZ-HKG-YYZ
YYZ-YVR-SYD-YVR-YYZ
YYZ-FRA-YYC-FRA-YYZ
YVR-PEK

That's a requirement of 7 planes. But consider the plane have to go from YYZ base to YVR, that makes it 8... and AC only have 6 of them.

So..
1. How would the plane go from YYZ-YVR? A lot of down time if it's just used to operate the domestic flight, schedule for FRA also doesn't match, and downgauge YVR-HKG ??
2. Now AC have 2 extra 77W (another from YVR-PVG) but 2 77L short, which of the 77L route will be upgauged?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 9:14 PM

I wonder if this will have any impact for flights

Brexit, Canada’s spat with China could hit B.C. tourism

Travel advisories, potential downturn in discretionary spending threaten to deter visitors

By Glen Korstrom | January 21, 2019

https://biv.com/article/2019/01/brex...h3q-L-eynwCYHk

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 9:00 PM

Abbotsford YXX opened their terminal expansion today, squarely aiming at budget travellers in the region. Their ambition is to handle 10% of YVR's traffic within 10 years. They confidently predict 1 million this year, maybe by October or November.

westernaviationnews.com/2019/01/24/abbotsford-opens-terminal-expansion/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure