HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 9:20 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
MTQ's also widening Henri IV (A73) on the north approach of Pont Pierre Laporte.

If realigning A40 through l'Ancienne Lorette (Ville de Québec) is still on the table, there are 9 projects in total, almost all of which are pretty big. I've always wondered if its realignment will put A540 out of use because, in that case, the city can rejoin a neighbourhood that's been separated.

You're right. That's quite a lot of highway projects for any given quebecois government after the "revolt against highways".
I don't think we can complain about the number of transportation infrastructure projects in general (even though some of them were born during the previous government).

There is tons of stuff happening in the Montreal area, Quebec City is getting a 25(?)-km tramway system, and the CAQ *may* even give the green light to an LRT system in western Gatineau that will link up to Ottawa's O-Train. They've also confirmed they're extending the Rapibus BRT further east in Gatineau.
Qu'est-ce que le spasme de vivre?

- Émile Nelligan

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 9:46 PM
Transit Geek

I actually found a recent article about the third link between Quebec-Levis.
https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...-saint-laurent

Truckers want it to be just a bridge, no tunnel at all, so they can transport dangerous goods.

From the sound of it, the preferred option is to have A40 join A20 via Île d'Orléans.

Perhaps this explains why in Canada, we don't have tunnels unless absolutely necessary (like the ones through Rogers Pass).

Ps: I'm curious about lio45's opinion on this.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 4:23 PM
Keep yo pimp hand strong

Looks like nobody's posted this yet, so here's what's going on in Manitoba.
https://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/hpd/pth100/public.html

You can scroll down to see the plans (although somewhat preliminary) It will be Manitoba's first actual freeway. There's a section in Winnipeg that's technically a freeway already but it's really just an extended bridge. No clue how long it will take for anything to actually get built but the province is glacially moving it forward.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post

You can scroll down to see the plans (although somewhat preliminary) It will be Manitoba's first actual freeway. There's a section in Winnipeg that's technically a freeway already but it's really just an extended bridge. No clue how long it will take for anything to actually get built but the province is glacially moving it forward.
It's about damn time for them to get a proper Freeway system !

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 7:23 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
It's about damn time for them to get a proper Freeway system !

I agree!
I wonder how long it will take to complete - 20 years ?

Thanks for posting that info Spocket.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 12:14 PM
Keep yo pimp hand strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post

I agree!
I wonder how long it will take to complete - 20 years ?

Thanks for posting that info Spocket.
My pleasure.

As for how long it will take: Well, it took roughly sixty years for them to go from talking about it to actually building some sort of rapid mass transit in the 'Peg so, if we use that as our metric, I'm guessing this will be complete sometime around 2235.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
My pleasure.

As for how long it will take: Well, it took roughly sixty years for them to go from talking about it to actually building some sort of rapid mass transit in the 'Peg so, if we use that as our metric, I'm guessing this will be complete sometime around 2235.
What's their problem in Manitoba for not moving forward quickly ?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 1:39 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
It would cost billions of dollars that the province doesn’t have or could use for more important priorities than a freeway.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 1:40 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
My pleasure.

Maybe around the time the Gardiner Expressway is buried in Toronto.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Budget.

Manitoba hasn't had the growth required to go on a big spending spree of infrastructure. It is 1.2 million people (most of whom are in Winnipeg/Southern Manitoba) have a huge hinterland to cover with provincial services.

The 1980s through mid-2000s hit Manitoba pretty hard too economically.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 8:17 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:

Looks like they are planning new cloverleaf interchanges at a couple of locations while eliminating some existing cloverleafs. Not sure why they would build any new interchanges as cloverleafs ?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 9:59 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Looks like they are planning new cloverleaf interchanges at a couple of locations while eliminating some existing cloverleafs. Not sure why they would build any new interchanges as cloverleafs ?
They describe the advantages and disadvantages of the various possible configurations in the slide deck.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 10:07 PM
Transit Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
They describe the advantages and disadvantages of the various possible configurations in the slide deck.
I also mentioned that MB should twin the remaining 15 km of TCH but that was received with mixed reaction.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
I actually found a recent article about the third link between Quebec-Levis.
https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...-saint-laurent

Truckers want it to be just a bridge, no tunnel at all, so they can transport dangerous goods.

From the sound of it, the preferred option is to have A40 join A20 via Île d'Orléans.

Perhaps this explains why in Canada, we don't have tunnels unless absolutely necessary (like the ones through Rogers Pass).

Ps: I'm curious about lio45's opinion on this.
My personal opinion is that the third link is not needed (I actually agreed with that idiotic QS MP's analogy, with the colorful image of the sniffed line of coke), ESPECIALLY not if we're going for the Eastern options.

(Imagine the possible results of having a new direct freeway connection from the downtown of the metro area, to this - the exit that's in the middle of this view, Route Lallemand / Chemin St-Roch.)

The CAQ promised it, we'll see what happens.

Personally, as I mentioned already but probably not in this thread, my favorite option by far would be to just increase the frequency of the downtown ferry crossing, and maybe decrease the cost too.

The bridges are somewhat inconveniently-located from a downtown Lévis POV (as well as, obviously, from a Bas-St-Laurent/Gaspésie POV, and from a Tourist From Atlantic Canada POV) but from a Quebec City POV it's kind of okay - anyone going anywhere that matters pretty much always goes southwest and from what I recall the two bridges aren't really much more of a choke point than the rest of the freeway system.

But it was not that common - that we had to cross - to be an annoyance during the times I lived there. The worst case by far were those times we went from our place in Vieux-Lauzon to my uncle's place on the southern side of Orleans Island. The two options were either to just swim across, or to drive nearly an hour to do a loop that's 300+ degrees from point A to point B (out of 360 for a full circle). (If you're curious, just Google Map the route from the Davie Shipyard to Ste-Pétronille.)

However that's not much reason to justify a new bridge or tunnel...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:02 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Yes - I saw that. Still seems very 1960's.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:22 AM
Transit Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
My personal opinion is that the third link is not needed (I actually agreed with that idiotic QS MP's analogy, with the colorful image of the sniffed line of coke), ESPECIALLY not if we're going for the Eastern options.

(Imagine the possible results of having a new direct freeway connection from the downtown of the metro area, to this - the exit that's in the middle of this view, Route Lallemand / Chemin St-Roch.)

The CAQ promised it, we'll see what happens.

Personally, as I mentioned already but probably not in this thread, my favorite option by far would be to just increase the frequency of the downtown ferry crossing, and maybe decrease the cost too.

The bridges are somewhat inconveniently-located from a downtown Lévis POV (as well as, obviously, from a Bas-St-Laurent/Gaspésie POV, and from a Tourist From Atlantic Canada POV) but from a Quebec City POV it's kind of okay - anyone going anywhere that matters pretty much always goes southwest and from what I recall the two bridges aren't really much more of a choke point than the rest of the freeway system.

But it was not that common - that we had to cross - to be an annoyance during the times I lived there. The worst case by far were those times we went from our place in Vieux-Lauzon to my uncle's place on the southern side of Orleans Island. The two options were either to just swim across, or to drive nearly an hour to do a loop that's 300+ degrees from point A to point B (out of 360 for a full circle). (If you're curious, just Google Map the route from the Davie Shipyard to Ste-Pétronille.)

However that's not much reason to justify a new bridge or tunnel...
Oh I forgot to mention, I finally created a Highway thread in the Quebec subforum too: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=237363.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Oh I forgot to mention, I finally created a Highway thread in the Quebec subforum too: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=237363.
We already had a place for such discussions though

For example, ongoing Quebec City Third Link discussion:
https://mtlurb.com/topic/15616-nouve...e-lien/?page=8

(in which I already posted my opinion, similar to what I just did above in English)

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:51 AM
Transit Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
We already had a place for such discussions though

For example, ongoing Quebec City Third Link discussion:
https://mtlurb.com/topic/15616-nouve...e-lien/?page=8

(in which I already posted my opinion, similar to what I just did above in English)
I have other questions too though. Perhaps you can answer the ones I have about A40 and its spur routes in Québec City. (Answers to A73 extension south of Saint-Georges will be a plus.) <Keep it in French though. I know most users there are unilingues francophone.>
So far I’ve only got answers for the dead A50 extension east of Saint-Jérôme and for the never-ending A35 extension to the border. (It turned out that determining its route in order to not mess with the wetland has been a messy job.)

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:00 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Yes - I saw that. Still seems very 1960's.
Well it's unlikely this would be completed by the 2060's so perhaps fashions will have gone full circle by the time any of it actually exists.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:43 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Haha - good point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada