HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 9:25 AM

You mean like a 325m Gehry tower?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 1:02 PM
Insertoronto

The city provided an exception for Gehry, but trust me, they are still trying to enforce 157m for everyone else. They have increased it to more around 190m if you are east of Duncan by the looks of it though.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 2:27 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Most people in here are unimpressed about every building so Im not surprised. I personally think its really striking, I love the glass, it may be a tad bulky if I was to criticize something but I think once built it will be gorgeous. But then again what do I know? Im just a fan boy
I agree, I think it's very nice and people are being too quick to write it off. It brings in some fresh angles and makes a pretty clear design break from the 20th century-era Financial District towers.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:48 PM

I agree with you and the others who also like it. If it actually ever gets built I think it will be a classy addition to the core. I only wish it was maybe 30m taller so it's spire would surpass that mess on FCP for height.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
The city provided an exception for Gehry, but trust me, they are still trying to enforce 157m for everyone else. They have increased it to more around 190m if you are east of Duncan by the looks of it though.
im talking about projects like Nobu, imagine if it was approved at original 'O' proposal at 175m. but they reduced it to 157m. that 'O' became a U. I still love it but original proposal would have been nicer.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 4:09 PM

Height should be awarded to developers that want to build high quality towers with strong designs that interact well with their surroundings and at street level.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:16 PM

agree.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 6:23 PM
I am the law!

We should include bonusing for exceptional design however, I totally disagree that a developer should be allowed to build as tall as they want and throw out all the planning fundamentals that create enjoyable dense urban neighbourhoods.

The Entertainment District plan is actually cone shaped. The 157 metre plateau (which I'm indifferent to) is a product of the OMB, council's unwillingness to forgo section 37 funds to fight appeals and developers being fully versed in the process. This is from memory but, Nobu ended up approved much taller than the ED plan. All versions of Nobu expressed more trendy wow factor than being really good, IMO. I wouldn't give it bonusing for the design.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Nothing special about this building. Not ugly but just looks like another generic blue glass building.
I agree for the most part, although the atrium is nice

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
We should include bonusing for exceptional design however, I totally disagree that a developer should be allowed to build as tall as they want and throw out all the planning fundamentals that create enjoyable dense urban neighbourhoods.

The Entertainment District plan is actually cone shaped. The 157 metre plateau (which I'm indifferent to) is a product of the OMB, council's unwillingness to forgo section 37 funds to fight appeals and developers being fully versed in the process. This is from memory but, Nobu ended up approved much taller than the ED plan. All versions of Nobu expressed more trendy wow factor than being really good, IMO. I wouldn't give it bonusing for the design.

Not as tall as they want but certain height limits should be sanctioned based on quality of design. Kind of like in Mirvishe's case.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
I agree for the most part, although the atrium is nice

It's funny, the atrium is what seems to irk the most people, especially over on urbantoronto.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 9:23 PM
I am the law!

I find the design of the atrium overwrought but, what bugs me the most is the prime frontage it occupies for a glorified, climate controlled grand entrance.. it's justified to say the existing buildings as part of this grand modernist vision and to be sacrificed interact poorly with the street. The very least we should hope from this density grabber is a stronger street precense. I say density grabber as the addition over the Hotel Victoria is just that. There is no thought to it at all. The tower has at least some merit. It will be an unfortunate loss if built at this location.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 10:38 PM

First page needs an update.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 2:22 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Is the 157m restriction part of their policy of having buildings stagger downwards in height towards Spadina? I'm assuming it's not an infrastructure issue as sewers, power lines, etc. can always be upgraded to meet demands placed on it.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 2:27 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
It's the Commerce Court 3 proposal.

source: http://urbantoronto.ca

source: https://www.claudecormier.com
Love love love the proportions. The girth gives it more presence than any other building in the city. If it ends up looking like that it will become my favourite Toronto skyscraper after TD Centre.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 3:37 AM
As seen on SSC ;)

I think they should add another 50-75m in roof height and make it the city's first true office supertall. And instead of the proposed Commerce Court location, it should replace the Exchange Tower's underwhelming podium at Adelaide and York!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 5:50 AM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post
man they really need to scrap that 157m rule in the entertainment district. I mean you look at TO skyline from the lake there all these tall buildings on the right side of CN tower and then theres bunch of highrises on the left side of CN tower. it looks like the skyline is leaning on one side. im not saying build supertalls in entertainment district but they atleast increase the height from 157m to maybe like 190m+. look at the pic and you might get the idea of what im saying. imagine a balanced skyline with CN in the middle.
[IMG]Toronto Skyline by Markus Hill, on Flickr[/IMG]
The Entertainment District is set far back from the lake and even 200 meter towers wouldn't make a really big difference. Those buildings would need to be built right up on the lakeshore to balance out the skyline and that is not gonna happen as it is already a built up area.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Love love love the proportions. The girth gives it more presence than any other building in the city. If it ends up looking like that it will become my favourite Toronto skyscraper after Scotia Plaza.
fixed it for ya.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 7:11 PM
The New Republic

Scotia Plaza gets bumped to 3rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I think they should add another 50-75m in roof height and make it the city's first true office supertall.
As long as they increase the floor plate to maintain the proportions.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
The Entertainment District is set far back from the lake and even 200 meter towers wouldn't make a really big difference. Those buildings would need to be built right up on the lakeshore to balance out the skyline and that is not gonna happen as it is already a built up area.
Not true, once the Mirvish towers get built....even if its 8-10 years down the road that side will be very well balanced out. Two 1000ft towers! Double the size of anything else thats there. Even if they are set back more, they will still look like the tallest.

PLUS there's also Cityplace twins going up in the next few years, they are both 200m+ which will stand out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada