HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 11:27 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ I think Jasper Park Lodge tends to get overlooked partly because it's a fairly low-slung hotel and not of the imposingly grandiose design more commonly associated with railway hotels. But it's certainly a beauty.

Welcome aboard Bellinghamgreg!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 11:50 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I think Jasper Park Lodge tends to get overlooked partly because it's a fairly low-slung hotel and not of the imposingly grandiose design more commonly associated with railway hotels. But it's certainly a beauty.

JPL is a decent hotel but it lacks that grandeur of the old CP hotels.

It's also needed some love for a while. I understand they're doing something about that though

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
...which Whistler hotel exacting are you referring too?
This one:

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 2:14 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
Fort Garry Hotel in Winnipeg is one 'Grand' railroad Hotel within a Canadian city that does not have a ★★★★ rating.
My best guess is that the lack of a full service restaurant is what costs the Fort Garry a 4-star rating. There is a nice lounge inside which serves light meals, as well as banquet rooms and a small cafe, but that's it for food service.

The current ownership group did a nice job restoring the hotel in the 90s and 00s, but for whatever reason they never brought back a full service restaurant. Which always struck me as somewhat odd... I never understood why. They do have the space for it, as I think there was historically at least one, possibly two restaurants in there back in the CN days.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Thanks,

I've been following you guys for years and decided to finally jump in.

A little about me. Born In Prince Rupert. Lived in Terrace BC and Kamloops. Moved to Wyoming, Hawaii and eventually Bellingham after a short stop in Victoria.

More of an observer on the board but will contribute when I feel I have something to add.

thanks to everyone for teaching me things about the motherland that I had never know

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
This one:
aww, I completely missed the reference to the post from earlier pages...

yes! Fairmont Whistler, great hotel, I don't know how old hotel is but skiing as a youngster I remember the hotel, I haven't been to the hotel for several years, I wonder if it still has it's "cigar room"

Quote:
originally posted by Esquire
My best guess is that the lack of a full service restaurant is what costs the Fort Garry a 4-star rating. There is a nice lounge inside which serves light meals, as well as banquet rooms and a small cafe, but that's it for food service.
I think same reason James Hotel in Saskatoon has 3.5 stars but has a 96% Excellent/VeryGood customer approval rating even though can go next door for all the restaurants like Carver's or Samurai or Cathedral Freehouse on same block...or any of the other downtown restaurants in Saskatoon for that matter...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada