HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 8:07 PM

As two Canadians rot in jail under fabricated charges and suffer invasive interrogation:

Under house arrest in Vancouver, Huawei CFO lives in luxury and spends her days out shopping
Meng's 'unusual' bail terms allow her the freedom to go shopping and to restaurants as long as she wears a GPS monitor and sticks to her 11 p.m. curfew

Meng Wanzhou steps out of her US$4.2 million mansion, a GPS monitor strapped to her ankle, and slips into a chauffeured black SUV. Then she’s off, largely free to roam the shops and restaurants within 100 square miles of Vancouver until her 11 p.m. curfew.

So goes another day of house arrest for Meng, chief financial officer of Huawei Technologies Co. and daughter of the billionaire founder of China’s biggest telecom provider. It is, by all appearances, a comfortable life for someone at the centre of a complex power game.

Meng’s arrest at the behest of the U.S. — which wants to extradite her on grounds she tricked banks into potentially violating Iran sanctions — has sparked an unprecedented diplomatic row. Nine days after her Dec. 1 arrest during a stop over in Vancouver, China detained two Canadians on national security grounds. And this week, a China court imposed a death sentence, following a one-day trial, on a Canadian found guilty of drug smuggling...

Meng’s long leash following her $10 million (US$7.5 million) bail is unusual, he said — normally, the defendant’s movements and communications would be restricted.

“You can’t just go to dinner or go shopping,” Casale said.

The conditions of Meng’s house arrest are in stark contrast to another corporate titan — former Nissan Motor Co. chairman Carlos Ghosn — who is confined at a Tokyo detention centre. He arrived in handcuffs, plastic slippers and a rope around his waist in court last week. Meng is also faring better than the two Canadians detained in China, who have had scant consular access.

That hasn’t stopped China’s envoy to Canada from protesting Meng’s treatment. In a fiery op-ed published in an Ottawa newspaper last week, Ambassador Lu Shaye railed against “Western egotism” and “white supremacy” of those who have criticized China for detaining the Canadians, in what was widely seen as retaliation....

https://vancouversun.com/technology/...s-out-shopping

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 1:27 AM
triggerer

Maybe when it comes to Meng Wanzhou, we should adopt the practices of her home country? Treat her in a way that is more familiar to those who break the law there? Obviously, giving her far more generous bail conditions than we allow any of our home grown criminals is an example of the white supremacy in our country, it is our assumption that as a chinawoman, she can't handle house arrest.

I would make an extraordinary diplomat!

Last edited by vid; Jan 18, 2019 at 1:42 AM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 4:58 AM

In terms of JT and his Native sensitivities, I think they are genuine. I think the guy has a sincere empathy towards the struggle of Native people and wants to see positive changes in their lives, communities, and relationship with Ottawa and all Canadians in general.

The problem is that he has failed to understand that the Native Chiefs are also politicians. They too may want the best for their communities but are willing to, at least partially, toss that aside to ensure their next election win. Native Chiefs know that picking a fight with Ottawa always makes for political gain on the Reserve much like provincial Premiers always start attacking Ottawa when things on the home front aren`t going so well.

This is why so many, often very well intentioned, initiatives for Native peoples eventually get watered down, delayed, or completely cancelled...……….Native leaders rarely give Ottawa any credit for positive change and when Ottawa wants Native help in return in different matters, {like resource development} Natives usually don't offer it. Governments are often loath to give Native issues more money or time because at the end of the day it gets little return from the general public electorally and Natives themselves even less so because they don't vote.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
In terms of JT and his Native sensitivities, I think they are genuine. I think the guy has a sincere empathy towards the struggle of Native people and wants to see positive changes in their lives, communities, and relationship with Ottawa and all Canadians in general.

The problem is that he has failed to understand that the Native Chiefs are also politicians. They too may want the best for their communities but are willing to, at least partially, toss that aside to ensure their next election win. Native Chiefs know that picking a fight with Ottawa always makes for political gain on the Reserve much like provincial Premiers always start attacking Ottawa when things on the home front aren`t going so well.

This is why so many, often very well intentioned, initiatives for Native peoples eventually get watered down, delayed, or completely cancelled...……….Native leaders rarely give Ottawa any credit for positive change and when Ottawa wants Native help in return in different matters, {like resource development} Natives usually don't offer it. Governments are often loath to give Native issues more money or time because at the end of the day it gets little return from the general public electorally and Natives themselves even less so because they don't vote.
I disagree. So many generalizations in what you wrote. First Nations (reserves) vary a lot. And I mean a lot. Band councils also vary a lot. And how can you say that "natives" don't vote?!? I've worked at polling stations during elections and they definitely vote here in Timmins. The younger generation is much more engaged in politics compared to their parents and grandparents.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

tit for tat is a lousy diplomatic strategy that usually leads to an erosion of decency and thus the loss of the moral high ground.

the sad truth is that Canada needs China more than China needs Canada. Canada is a sacrificial pawn in the chess game played by Mr Ruthless 'long game' Xi and the hamfisted 'attention span of a goldfish' dolt sitting in the White House.
The opposite of political correctness is not unvarnished truth-telling. It is political expression that is careless toward the beliefs and attitudes different than one’s own. In its more extreme fashion, it is incivility, indecency or vulgarity. These are the true alternatives to political correctness. l

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
tit for tat is a lousy diplomatic strategy that usually leads to an erosion of decency and thus the loss of the moral high ground.

the sad truth is that Canada needs China more than China needs Canada. Canada is a sacrificial pawn in the chess game played by Mr Ruthless 'long game' Xi and the hamfisted 'attention span of a goldfish' dolt sitting in the White House.
Begs the question - does either one "need" the other, really?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Maybe when it comes to Meng Wanzhou, we should adopt the practices of her home country? Treat her in a way that is more familiar to those who break the law there? Obviously, giving her far more generous bail conditions than we allow any of our home grown criminals is an example of the white supremacy in our country, it is our assumption that as a chinawoman, she can't handle house arrest.

I would make an extraordinary diplomat!
Bolded: FYI the term is offensive you know right

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:17 PM
Still optimistic

He likely does. It appears to have been used ironically.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:23 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

I always thought it was strange that Irishman, Dutchman and Englishman are perfectly normal and inoffensive terms, but Chinaman is regarded as a highly offensive slur.

Carry on.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:24 PM
Transit Geek

I think history was at play.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:28 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
He likely does. It appears to have been used ironically.
Even if it wasn't ironic it doesn't count because it's vid.

Kinda like how it's OK for David Suzuki to jet all over the world on polluting planes to talk about environmental protection.

It all serves the greater good so it's OK!

Qu'est-ce que le spasme de vivre?

- Émile Nelligan

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Kinda like how it's OK for David Suzuki to jet all over the world on polluting planes to talk about environmental protection
Doesn't he also have several homes too?

I think Suzuki's personal carbon footprint is about the same size as Lichtenstein.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Bolded: FYI the term is offensive you know right
rrskylar giving lectures on political correctness, will wonders never cease!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 6:41 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
the sad truth is that Canada needs China more than China needs Canada.
For?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 7:19 PM

Quote:

Vancouver real estate speculators maybe, but WTF does Canada need China for? Exports are a tiny part of the Canadian economy and we can get our cheap plastic crap from lots of countries.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Vancouver real estate speculators maybe, but WTF does Canada need China for? Exports are a tiny part of the Canadian economy and we can get our cheap plastic crap from lots of countries.
China is Canada's second largest export market.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
rrskylar giving lectures on political correctness, will wonders never cease!
Don't confuse political beliefs and political correctness with thinly veiled racism intentional or not!

But then again that's the new leftist way right!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 8:22 PM
commissar of cannabis

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 8:31 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Don't confuse political beliefs and political correctness with thinly veiled racism intentional or not!

But then again that's the new leftist way right!
nah, that's the new rightist way left!
The opposite of political correctness is not unvarnished truth-telling. It is political expression that is careless toward the beliefs and attitudes different than one’s own. In its more extreme fashion, it is incivility, indecency or vulgarity. These are the true alternatives to political correctness. l

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
China is Canada's second largest export market.
I don't find such a statement impressive, seeing that China is a huge country and that you almost certainly have to consider the EU to be divided in all its member states for China to take the second place.

USA/China/EU are all apples to apples, and out of those three there are two of them that are our main trading partners.

Plus, what do we mostly sell to China? Coal? O&G? How sustainable...

Basically - I don't think we "need" them. Sure, Canadian WalMart shelves would be less well stocked with throwaway shit without them, but I'm sure we'd find a way to survive.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada