HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Will Jagmeet Singh win the by-election?
Yes 34 44.74%
No 42 55.26%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 10:13 PM
ハルウララ

Fortunately for Singh it seems like some of the Cantonese and Mandarin vote will be split between Wang and Shin, and he's nearly double both of them with English-speakers. Singh's also ahead in under-50 vote intentions.

Interesting that the People's Party candidate is only 5% with English-speakers but triple that with Chinese voters.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Let`s forget the fact that Singh is a Sikh and just look at him individually. The guy has proven time and again that he has shockingly little understanding of key policy issues. His speaking and motivational skills are so poor he would have a hard time motivating a 5 year old into a candy shop. The NDP thought they had young dynamic leader that could outshine Trudeau and instead got a dud that has shown that he doesn't have the skills to run a newsstand and the NDP know it and perhaps even worse, the public knows it. It has become crystal clear to everyone that the NDP now knows that made a fatal error in choosing Singh and the voters are legitimately asking if his own party doesn't have faith in their new leader to even run the party then how can we have faith in him to run the country?

It's pretty sad when you are a newly elected leader of a party and the only one who seems to be gunning for you is Trudeau.
Most would agree that Singh was a good speaker and had a lot of charisma as an MPP in Ontario's parliament. He was a rising star. And now a lot of voters in Brampton are voting NDP including in the recent provincial election, which wasn't the case in the past.

So far he has made very few waves as the federal NDP leader. Has that been his plan all along? Does he want to go into campaigning and sort of surprise people? I think he knows that his party won't be forming government so maybe his idea is for a surge during the election campaign and be noticed. Who knows. But it won't be easy for him with the Trudeau Liberals as the favourites to win.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Do I misunderstand the report? It suggests that the split is within the Chinese community itself.
That is also true. Singh is dominating among non-Chinese voters is my point.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Most would agree that Singh was a good speaker and had a lot of charisma as an MPP in Ontario's parliament. He was a rising star. And now a lot of voters in Brampton are voting NDP including in the recent provincial election, which wasn't the case in the past.

So far he has made very few waves as the federal NDP leader. Has that been his plan all along? Does he want to go into campaigning and sort of surprise people? I think he knows that his party won't be forming government so maybe his idea is for a surge during the election campaign and be noticed. Who knows. But it won't be easy for him with the Trudeau Liberals as the favourites to win.
He's made few waves because he hasn't had a seat in the House of Commons, exactly Trudeau's plan when foot-dragging on the byelection call.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 3:49 AM

Wonder if the Liberals will keep Wang...

Liberal candidate’s WeChat post draws criticism for singling out race of byelection opponent Jagmeet Singh
Quote:
Liberal candidate Karen Wang used WeChat, a Chinese social media platform, to urge supporters to vote for her, “the only Chinese candidate” in the riding, rather than NDP leader Jagmeet Singh, who she identified as “of Indian descent.” Singh, who is vying for his first seat in the House of Commons, is Canada’s first non-white federal party leader. The other candidates are Conservative Jay Shin and People’s Party of Canada’s Laura-Lynn Tyler Thompson.

Translated from Chinese, part of Wang’s post read: “If we can increase the voting rate, as the only Chinese candidate in this riding, if I can garner 16,000 votes I will easily win the byelection, control the election race and make history! My opponent in this byelection is the NDP candidate Singh of Indian descent!”
https://www.thestar.com/vancouver/20...yelection.html

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 5:05 AM

She's "the only Chinese"? The CPC guy, Shin, is an Anglo...? Seems doubtful.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 5:08 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

From what I remember, Shin should be Korean.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post

Liberal candidate’s WeChat post draws criticism for singling out race of byelection opponent Jagmeet Singh

Vote for a Wang, get a dick.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 9:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Vote for a Wang, get a dick.
What do you expect from a former BC Liberal.

Why is Trudeau's Liberals openly letting in those who aligned with the BC Liberals provincially? The two parties are worlds apart ideologically.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 12:20 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Who are white people voting for? (I feel like CNN and their ethnic voting breakdowns *facepalm*).

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 2:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Who are white people voting for? (I feel like CNN and their ethnic voting breakdowns *facepalm*).
Are there even any of them left in that riding? And even so, do they matter?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 2:38 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Are there even any of them left in that riding? And even so, do they matter?
Burnaby seems pretty diverse, unlike Richmond or Surrey. Just curious whether whites (Germans/Scots-Irish) are voting along ethnic lines, and which particular direction that would be. There's a white candidate in that riding with 8% support, it would be funny if that was mostly white people. We all matter

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 2:41 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
We all matter

I know. Just kidding around.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 2:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Burnaby seems pretty diverse, unlike Richmond or Surrey. Just curious whether whites (Germans/Scots-Irish) are voting along ethnic lines, and which particular direction that would be. There's a white candidate in that riding with 8% support, it would be funny if that was mostly white people.
I don't think there is any real movement in Canada of white people consciously voting a certain way because they're white, but obviously like any demographic they probably have certain voting patterns that are more common to them than others.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 2:44 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Interesting, turns out people aren't voting along ethnic lines after all. Good to see, the old ethnic votebank politics make me want to gag!

Burnaby South demographics:

Chinese 42,975 - 38.7%
European 35,705 - 32.2%
South Asian 9,315 - 8.4%
Filipino 6,890 - 6.2%
Korean 3,890 - 3.5%
West Asian 2,175 - 2%

I just wish they weren't voting for Jagmeet, 4 more years of Trudeau, Hussain and the gang is so depressing. The debt binge will be far worse than with Trudeau senior.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't think there is any real movement in Canada of white people consciously voting a certain way because they're white, but obviously like any demographic they probably have certain voting patterns that are more common to them than others.
Within certain white subgroups (e.g. Italian-Canadian) there seems to be strong voting along ethnic lines.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Within certain white subgroups (e.g. Italian-Canadian) there seems to be strong voting along ethnic lines.
Italian-Canadian voting patterns differ from those of Portuguese-Canadians or Greek-Canadians? First I've heard of it.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 3:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Italian-Canadian voting patterns differ from those of Portuguese-Canadians or Greek-Canadians? First I've heard of it.
I don't think that's necessarily what he meant.

Italian-Canadians may vote in a block that is similar to the way Greek-Canadians or Portuguese-Canadians vote, but there is no real over-arching electoral or collective consciousness that unites these groups together as "white" (presumably with other white Canadians of other origins) or even as southern Europeans.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 3:57 PM

Quote:
They would vote for the Italian-Canadian candidate (typically Liberal). whether Portuguese or Greek Canadians do the same thing is harder to discern, since Portuguese and Greeks form a smaller percentage of the population and don’t have the numbers to carry ridings except in a handful of places.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post

Nope.
https://www.thestar.com/vancouver/20...nghs-race.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada